• Time
  • Show
Clear All

you know to much and will spoil people's fun
    Co-Founder, Apolyton Civilization Site
    Co-Owner/Webmaster, Top40-Charts.com | CTO, Apogee Information Systems
    giannopoulos.info: my non-mobile non-photo news & articles blog

Comment

Conceptually isn't that link supposed to take you to the newest post (if there's a new one) in the thread (if we're talking about the thread link)?

edit: Hm, duh, no, that's the down arrow.

Well, the purpose of the picture is obvious in any event. It's just the link that's not ... Perhaps the link isn't really meant to work at all, and is just a place holder to make the picture's job easier (to tell the picture which thread to look at when determining which picture to be)?
      <Reverend> IRC is just multiplayer notepad.
      I like your SNOOPY POSTER! - While you Wait quote.

Comment

Originally posted by snoopy369
        Although I have nothing near Gramphos' knowledge of these things ... it's got to be something like that.

It shows (on the forum version):

apolyton.net/forums/f253-s.html
        where it should show (ie, the text-link shows: )
        apolyton.net/forums/forumdisplay.php?s=&forumid=253

My assumption is that something is supposed to take the f253-s.html and convert it into the PHP file there ... ie something converting "/FXXX-SYYY" to "/forumdisplay.php?s=YYY&forumid=XXX" ...
        No, it *should* show the html link. The php one is the original and the html link is especially generated for search engines. Search engines wouldn't index php?... links because they figured they were dynamic so they would change everytime anyway (or something). Having an alternate html link to each thread allowed search engines to index threads too. The thread icon was just chosen to conveniently "hide" that link.

These days however search engines (well, Google anyway) do index php pages so the alternate html link isn't really necessary anymore. Maybe Markos went and removed half the functionality and forgot to remove the other half, leaving us with broken links.
        Civilization II: maps, guides, links, scenarios, patches and utilities (+ Civ2Tech and CivEngineer)

Comment

url works now

Comment

work???

I get a nice 404 page
            Congratulations! You found a missing page
            - Artificial Intelligence usually beats real stupidity
            - Atheism is a nonprophet organization.

Comment

try again

Comment

Working...
              X