Wardell on Stardock Publishing Games

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Wardell on Stardock Publishing Games

In the first of a three-part Galactic Civilizations II: Dread Lords feature exclusively for Apolyton Civilization Site, computer software developer and publisher Stardock Systems Founder and Chief Executive Officer Brad Wardell talks about his company becoming a gaming publisher from 2003 to the present day. Here's an excerpt:

By the end of 2004, Stardock had steadily grown in size and resources. The company decided that from this point on it would be best to publish its games on its own when it made sense. Galactic Civilizations II: Dread Lords will be a good test-case for self-publishing. In early 2005, it had signed on with TTI -- yes, The Corporate Machine's publisher -- to distribute the game to retail. Publishing a game involves completely different resources than developing.
    Watch for the second part, "Reinventing Galactic Civilizations", in February and the third part in March of next year; the title of the latter is not yet being pre-disclosed.

--------
    Dan; Apolyton CS
    Last edited by DanQ; February 18, 2006, 21:49.
    PolyCast Co-Host, Owner and Producer: entertaining | informing civ
    >> PolyCast (Civ strategy), ModCast (Civ modding), TurnCast (Civ multiplay); One More Turn Dramedy

Comments anyone?

--------
    Dan; Apolyton CS
    >> PolyCast (Civ strategy), ModCast (Civ modding), TurnCast (Civ multiplay); One More Turn Dramedy

Comment

1 comment and 1 question. First, the comment: I have purchased an advance copy of Gal2 becuase I believe that Brad and the Stardock team will make an amazing game - I believe in supporting good game makers with my money.

The question: Where is the 2nd article! It was supposed to be in Oct but now it is Nov 1 and no article. I bet Brad is busy, but I am waiting!

Comment

our scheduling didnt go so well and then we had a civ4 features flood and then dan's dog ate part 2...

it's coming though
        Co-Founder, Apolyton Civilization Site
        Co-Owner/Webmaster, Top40-Charts.com | CTO, Apogee Information Systems
        giannopoulos.info: my non-mobile non-photo news & articles blog

Comment

damunzy: Thank you for your post. Glad you enjoyed it.

Originally posted by MarkG
          our scheduling didnt go so well and then we had a civ4 features flood and then dan's dog ate part 2...

it's coming though
          To clarify, the "eating" of Part 2 was the audio interview with Brad, not his written feature. Also, "eating" is a bit... strong but there were some issues. All is worked out, though!

Part 2 of Wardell's write-up, and Part 3 for that matter, is indeed still to come. Part 2 has been bumped to this month, and Part 3 in December.

---------
          Dan; Apolyton CS

Comment

Nice story.

I thought that Paradox was publishing the game though, or how are they involved?
            DISCLAIMER: the author of the above written texts does not warrant or assume any legal liability or responsibility for any offence and insult; disrespect, arrogance and related forms of demeaning behaviour; discrimination based on race, gender, age, income class, body mass, living area, political voting-record, football fan-ship and musical preference; insensitivity towards material, emotional or spiritual distress; and attempted emotional or financial black-mailing, skirt-chasing or death-threats perceived by the reader of the said written texts.

Comment

Paradox have a forum for the game under the label "third party titles", so I'd guess they still are the publishers.
              Do not fear, for I am with you; Do not anxiously look about you, for I am your God.-Isaiah 41:10
              I praise you because I am fearfully and wonderfully made - Psalms 139.14a
              Also active on WePlayCiv.

Comment

Interesting. It seems that the biggest mistake was in running scared of the other guy (MoO) and taking a payoff so you wouldn't have to compete head-to-head. I also have a hard time believing that there was no cash involved - delaying 6 months of revenue for a couple of hundred thousand advertising sheets makes little sense.

I'm wondering who approached who first.

Comment

IIRC Paradox was only publishing/distributing GalCiv2 for the North American market ...

GC2 is a definite must for me. I'm not pre-ordering though and will lkely get the whole box thingy rather than just the downloadable version through SDC.

Comment

Originally posted by ravagon
                    GC2 is a definite must for me. I'm not pre-ordering though and will lkely get the whole box thingy rather than just the downloadable version through SDC.
                    I could be wrong but I think there is an option to get a boxed version when it comes out for $10 more - I could me wrong though. Check out Stardock's website.

Comment

I like the way Brad handles "copy protection." He has been on the frontline and has a good grasp of what works and what doesn't.
                      (\__/) 07/07/1937 - Never forget
                      (='.'=) "Claims demand evidence; extraordinary claims demand extraordinary evidence." -- Carl Sagan
                      (")_(") "Starting the fire from within."

Comment

Much better than the way Firaxis/2kGames handled it with Civ4. I hate games that make me put in the CDs, argh! :/

Please, Brad, remember, don't require the CD to play the game. I'm begging you. :-D

Comment

Part 2 published:

-------
                          Dan; Apolyton CS

Comment

Working...
                          X