Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Has something changed in How Apolyton is coded?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Sparrowhawk .....As for the problem Kull identifies above, I attempted to download a game file from the PBEM in question and did not experience any difficulties.
    I still have the attachment.php problem with all posted files in the PBEM section. Limited testing elsewhere on Apolyton produced mixed results. Scenario files in the UCII archive download normally (correct name and suffix), but the Indeo Drivers posted on the Civ2 page appear as "view.php". So something is definitely wrong.
    To La Fayette, as fine a gentleman as ever trod the Halls of Apolyton

From what I understand of that Civ game of yours, it's all about launching one's own spaceship before the others do. So this is no big news after all: my father just beat you all to the stars once more. - Philippe Baise

Comment

I was able to enter the forum in the week-end from home and now I write from office. It seems that it was a temporary problem.

I remember that I wrote a post in the week-end about being able to write from home, but I cannot see my post here. Although I receivce an e-mail notice for this thread.
      "Respect the gods, but have as little to do with them as possible." - Confucius
      "Give nothing to gods and expect nothing from them." - my motto

Comment

It seems that it was a temporary problem
        no, it seems i fixed it
        Co-Founder, Apolyton Civilization Site
        Co-Owner/Webmaster, Top40-Charts.com | CTO, Apogee Information Systems
        giannopoulos.info: my non-mobile non-photo news & articles blog

Comment

Thanks for doing whatever you did Mark.
          It's finally worth coming to work again.

Comment

Originally posted by MarkG
            no, it seems i fixed it
            not the file download problem.......

EDIT: Oddly enough, the file works if renamed (so I can use it in the PBEM) but the name is always "attachment.php".
            Last edited by Kull; July 19, 2005, 00:04.

From what I understand of that Civ game of yours, it's all about launching one's own spaceship before the others do. So this is no big news after all: my father just beat you all to the stars once more. - Philippe Baise

Comment

It sounds more like a browser problem than a server problem. I recall having that problem with Netscape waay back in the misty dawn of time.
              I love being beaten by women - Lorizael

Comment

So to sum up, no one really knows what happened , others did experience it and whatever it was seems to be over??

Well thanks I guess. I'll try from work later tonight to see if the problem still exists for me
                You don't get to 300 losses without being a pretty exceptional goaltender.-- Ben Kenobi speaking of Roberto Luongo

Comment

Originally posted by Kull
                  not the file download problem.......
                  QFT!

EDIT: Oddly enough, the file works if renamed (so I can use it in the PBEM) but the name is always "attachment.php".
                  How do you mean, rename them?
                  Contraria sunt Complementa. -- Niels Bohr
                  Mods: SMAniaC (SMAC) & Planetfall (Civ4)

Comment

Oh, when I try to download an uploaded file, I get view.php

Comment

Maniac, you can rename a file when it´s downloaded. If it is a word document for instance, you can rename it with a proper file ending (in this case .doc). Then it´s possible to open it with Word even if it was named attachment.php when you downloaded it.

Comment

Thanks for the tip!
                        Hooray for Zoidberg!

Comment

Originally posted by Dr Zoidberg
                          It sounds more like a browser problem than a server problem. I recall having that problem with Netscape waay back in the misty dawn of time.
                          Normally I'd agree with you, except my browser was working fine when I left home a couple weeks ago. While on the trip I read the message boards (using a different machine) and heard about the "php" problem. When I returned home, suddenly all the downloaded files show up as "attachment.php". Now that could be completely unrelated to the earlier php problem, but if so why are others still reporting the same difficulty? And if this was some kind of random browser problem, why haven't we heard this SPECIFIC complaint before?

Nope, Apolyton still has a problem.

Comment

DaveV on the other Civ2 PBEM Game reported having problems downloading the save as well. Not sure if the same problem or not, but it seems clear that Kull is correct here.

/me
                            "Clearly I'm missing the thread some of where the NFL actually is." - Ben Kenobi on his NFL knowledge

Comment

Originally posted by Maniac
                              Thanks for the tip!
                              Hooray for Zoidberg!
                              I´m happy to help

Comment

Originally posted by Kull

Normally I'd agree with you, except my browser was working fine when I left home a couple weeks ago. While on the trip I read the message boards (using a different machine) and heard about the "php" problem. When I returned home, suddenly all the downloaded files show up as "attachment.php". Now that could be completely unrelated to the earlier php problem, but if so why are others still reporting the same difficulty? And if this was some kind of random browser problem, why haven't we heard this SPECIFIC complaint before?

Nope, Apolyton still has a problem.
                                I guess. There might be some Poly-IE problem only. I tried downloading it with Mozilla Firefox and it was no problem at all. With IE I got a .html document when I right-clicked and chose "save target as".

The simple solution to this problem would of course be to change browsers. I noticed that IE was horrendously slow in addition to the .php problem...

EDIT: When I logged in via IE and downloaded it just by clicking the link it worked like it´s supposed to. I got a .net file of 98 kb (ha_a.760.net) Strange...
                                Last edited by Zoid; July 21, 2005, 06:24.

Comment

Working...
                                X