Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I am not putting anything against the work Solver has done, just illuminating on the way I read Rasputins post...

and yes he is a vollenteer good value

yet so too there have not been that many interviews, just thought it would be worth having a few other names thrown out for discussion
    Gurka 17, People of the Valley
    I am of the Horde.

Comment

• Originally posted by Lord Nuclear
      Unfortunately, interviewing random active (and inactive) people is not really what the current Interviews are about, as far as I know.
      Interviews at apolyton.net/misc/interviews

BEHIND THE CODE: INTERVIEW SERIES - 2
      GALACTIC CIVILIZATIONS - 1
      RISE OF NATIONS - 2
      SIMGOLF - 1
      CIVILIZATION III - 2
      FACES OF APOLYTON - 14
      BIG HUGE GAMES: 2001 - 1
      A CLOSER LOOK AT OUR HOSTED SITES - 1
      UP CLOSE AND PERSONAL: YEAR 2000 SERIES - 1
      @MAC - 1
      BIG HUGE GAMES: 2000 - 1
      CALL TO POWER - 6
      ALPHA CENTAURI - 1

Total - 42

looks like a major component of the interviews is to do with the "Faces of Apolyton", the very people that make up the community...
      Attached Files
      Gurka 17, People of the Valley
      I am of the Horde.

Comment

• Originally posted by Carolus Rex

People often confuse spam with writing multiple posts in a row...

Maybe the one above was a border case, but often (my) multiple posts quote different people or they contain thoughts I didn't think of when posting the first one. They're not spam just because noone else posted in between them...

Carolus
        this known as arnelosing, IIUC. I do it when im responding to different people, or have something substantive thats significantly different from whats in a prior post. If what i have to say addresses essentially the same issue, I would edit the prior post instead.
        "A person cannot approach the divine by reaching beyond the human. To become human, is what this individual person, has been created for.” Martin Buber

Comment

• Carlous

I don't think that mark or dan have the script, but it is possible in PhBB (at least) to count the average number of characters that are used in a posters posts. That way you could more easily determine the spammers v. long-winded posters. However, it also counted QUOTE tags, and so a lot of QUOTED material was added to disrupt a correct appraisement.

-
          You seem to ignore a dynamic effect... It's not just a matter of counting the existing off-topic posts, but also the ones (never written) that would have been written to get easy +1's... The incentive to post would be much stronger and the posts even more numerous than today's off-topic forum contains...

Imagine short replies on whatever subject available... You'd easily get down 50 - 100 posts a day... Perhaps someone in this thread already has that rate, but that only strengthens my argument
          That is very true. Personally, I don't do many short replies (becasue I'm not online enough to make a reply after every second poster-->I think that's the main incentive for the short replies made on everyone's comments... those people who have work internet access have the ability to go wild with posts)

On another topic...I would, if OT posts had counted, probably be a deity by now if not becuse I KNOW I have made 400-600 posts there since 2001, but because I stopped posting there as frequently after post counts were taken away from that section. I no longer felt a sense of accomplishment.

I don't spam, but I like to have my words count somewhere.

For me, it's all about the statistics

AMDF... (attack, mvt., def., firepower)

-d.c.
          -->Visit CGN!
          -->"Production! More Production! Production creates Wealth! Production creates more Jobs!"-Wendell Willkie -1944

Comment

• Originally posted by DarkCloud
            AMDF... (attack, mvt., def., firepower)
            Sssshhhhhh.....
            Do not fear, for I am with you; Do not anxiously look about you, for I am your God.-Isaiah 41:10
            I praise you because I am fearfully and wonderfully made - Psalms 139.14a
            Also active on WePlayCiv.

Comment

• I think everyone has guessed wrong at this point, Nikolai!
              Haven't been here for ages....

Comment

• Me too. But he's ruining it all. DC can't be the one's asking, he ain't a newbee, particulary in this sub-forum...!
                Do not fear, for I am with you; Do not anxiously look about you, for I am your God.-Isaiah 41:10
                I praise you because I am fearfully and wonderfully made - Psalms 139.14a
                Also active on WePlayCiv.

Comment

• Something else I feel I need to say on the FoA interviews. It is my belief (with which the owners agreed) that the official interviews should be mostly serious. That is, be about the specific forum member, his/her perception of Civ, Apolyton, and so on. Pretty serious stuff. I'm sure that it's possible to conduct interviews with members of one section (whether it be Civ2, Civ3 or the OTF) and have the interview filled with inside jokes and such things, however, that is not the goal - remember that one of the goals is also to introduce people to sections they may not know much about, for instance, the FoA#2 with WesW was supposed to also give an insight about CtP modding.

Now I really can't wait to see what will be said about the next interview . I will be getting started on it soon.
                  Solver, WePlayCiv Co-Administrator
                  I can kill you whenever I please... but not today. - The Cigarette Smoking Man

Comment

• hhmmm... that does bring up an interesting question- what do A/M/D/HP stand for? I really would like to know. The question's been bugging me for the past several years...
                    --
                    Don't see anything wrong about asking only serious questions Solver (as the in-jokes do sometimes become quite byzantine)- but it is a good idea to ask personal questions about their relation to the forum and other posters as well, as that introduces a 'human' element to the interviews.
                    -->Visit CGN!
                    -->"Production! More Production! Production creates Wealth! Production creates more Jobs!"-Wendell Willkie -1944

Comment

• Well DC, that has been done, and will continue to be done. I'm definitely talking about the personal side of the posters - unless they wish otherwise.
                      Solver, WePlayCiv Co-Administrator
                      I can kill you whenever I please... but not today. - The Cigarette Smoking Man

Comment

Then you'd have to interview almost everyone, to be fair. I don't mean to be rude here, but what could each of these people say that would be different? And if it takes so long for Solver to do an interview, how could he possibly take the time to interview everyone?
                        Why not, look at it as a chance to get to know one another. They don't have to be long and boring*, more of what-makes-you-tick kind of thing.

* not saying Solver interviews are, I've enjoyed the interview with Locutus very much.
                        Is God willing to prevent evil, but not able? Then he is not omnipotent. Is he able, but not willing? Then he is malevolent. Is he both able and willing? Then whence cometh evil? Is he neither able nor willing?
                        Then why call him God? - Epicurus

Comment

• Nice cover.

Comment

• and I will say we should remember that Faces of Apolyton are not exactly all posters but more so contributors to the sites existence..

I mean Brian Reynolds..nope havent seen a lot of him

I did however have a few nice encounters with Yin26

lol

ohh that was fun
                            Hi, I'm RAH and I'm a Benaholic.-rah

Comment

• Originally posted by Paddy the Scot

Interviews at apolyton.net/misc/interviews

BEHIND THE CODE: INTERVIEW SERIES - 2
                              GALACTIC CIVILIZATIONS - 1
                              RISE OF NATIONS - 2
                              SIMGOLF - 1
                              CIVILIZATION III - 2
                              FACES OF APOLYTON - 14
                              BIG HUGE GAMES: 2001 - 1
                              A CLOSER LOOK AT OUR HOSTED SITES - 1
                              UP CLOSE AND PERSONAL: YEAR 2000 SERIES - 1
                              @MAC - 1
                              BIG HUGE GAMES: 2000 - 1
                              CALL TO POWER - 6
                              ALPHA CENTAURI - 1

Total - 42

looks like a major component of the interviews is to do with the "Faces of Apolyton", the very people that make up the community...
                              Not quite, Paddy. There are only twelve, as two are just continuations. And six of the interviews, are of Staff members.

Comment

Not quite, Paddy. There are only twelve, as two are just continuations. And six of the interviews, are of Staff members.
                                good point Lord Nuclear

so would you say maybe the interviews are not really Faces of Apolyton but more people whom help make Apolyton a Great Place?

I say that to coincide with my previous post and in support of yours
                                Hi, I'm RAH and I'm a Benaholic.-rah

Comment

Working...
                                X