This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Dr Zoidberg
    Quite a few of us came from the old alpha.owo board, and thus were quite familiar with the concept of Off Topic
    yep, that's where I came from. A great place that was. So much spam. And Hardman as well.

Comment

• Oh I remember visiting civgames.com. What a site. Was my first ever source for Civ-related stuff, before I stumbled onto Apolyton.
      Solver, WePlayCiv Co-Administrator
      I can kill you whenever I please... but not today. - The Cigarette Smoking Man

Comment

• Originally posted by bongo
        New stuff stil pop up about civ3. The pace is lower now than at the beginning but still. Off the top off my head I can remember worthingtons manouvre which was discovered...8 months ago?
        and then ya have people like Gramps

plugging away walking about without a fricking clue

But I am trying

so many tricks and traits to learn

I missed this and yes I read it but will have to learn how to implement it

Attached Files
        Hi, I'm RAH and I'm a Benaholic.-rah

Comment

• I'm one of the veterans of the alpha.owo forums too, but I was mostly a lurker back then - I think I had no more than ten posts on the forum. Good ol' days...
          I watched you fall. I think I pushed.

Comment

• Originally posted by Dissident

yep, that's where I came from. A great place that was. So much spam. And Hardman as well.
            Ah, yes. The infamous Hardman. We will never see anyone like him again...
            I love being beaten by women - Lorizael

Comment

• I'm glad most of you seem to like the demogames. It was Duck of Flanders' idea back on CFC, but possibly my greatest/only contribution to the Civ community.
              Shame I haven't got the time to play that much any more.

Comment

• Originally posted by duke o' york
                I'm glad most of you seem to like the demogames. It was Duck of Flanders' idea back on CFC, but possibly my greatest/only contribution to the Civ community.
                Shame I haven't got the time to play that much any more.
                yeah
                my problem with demo games is I was committed to all these pbems and then along came a demo game & real life heavy workload

I contribute some but it takes a long time

reading Solvers comments:

Yes the game is slow but it is on a different plane of a playing field

Now talk about posting a lot..a Succession Game is very intense

But I enjoy the various experiences

Gramps

Comment

• I just checked over at CFC, and we've got 11 posters with 10k+ posts with OTF posts counting.

All hail the fount of spam that is 'Poly!

I'm pretty sure I wouldn't be anywhere close deity here even if OTF posts counted, but at least I wouldn't be a lowly prince. What a shame.
                  Why can't you be a non-conformist just like everybody else?

It's no good (from an evolutionary point of view) to have the physique of Tarzan if you have the sex drive of a philosopher. -- Michael Ruse
                  The Nedaverse I can accept, but not the Berzaverse. There can only be so many alternate realities. -- Elok

Comment

• Originally posted by Last Conformist
                    I just checked over at CFC, and we've got 11 posters with 10k+ posts with OTF posts counting.

All hail the fount of spam that is 'Poly!

I'm pretty sure I wouldn't be anywhere close deity here even if OTF posts counted, but at least I wouldn't be a lowly prince. What a shame.
                    surely your mere presence as Prince pales in comparison to the post content for which your are known?
                    I would say many folks whom post here, by there very content, speak volumes far beyond post count amount

I salute your for you many contributions, whether agreed with or not, you have surely made your mark
                    Attached Files

Comment

• I can only note my pleasant surprise and gratitude ...

Why can't you be a non-conformist just like everybody else?

It's no good (from an evolutionary point of view) to have the physique of Tarzan if you have the sex drive of a philosopher. -- Michael Ruse
                      The Nedaverse I can accept, but not the Berzaverse. There can only be so many alternate realities. -- Elok

Comment

• 6 pages, and many people from many different sections on the community getting along fine - just what makes Apolyton the Great Community for all ages... whether munchkins like my brainstrust, or ya more elder statesmen like Grandpa Troll, this place certainly has a mix range.
                        Gurka 17, People of the Valley
                        I am of the Horde.

Comment

• Originally posted by Last Conformist
                          I just checked over at CFC, and we've got 11 posters with 10k+ posts with OTF posts counting.
                          that's horrible

Comment

• Originally posted by Paddy the Scot
                            6 pages, and many people from many different sections on the community getting along fine - just what makes Apolyton the Great Community for all ages... whether munchkins like my brainstrust, or ya more elder statesmen like Grandpa Troll, this place certainly has a mix range.
                            I was thinking the same thing folks

Even though we have skirted the topic no one has insulted or attacked anyone

I was thinking this is pretty kewl

Maybe a jumping off point..

Point Tolerance

Thanks to one and all
                            Attached Files

Comment

• Originally posted by Solver
                              Well, luckily the new people will start in the Civ4 forums, not the OTF, which can indeed scare newbies away fast . And if the release of Civ3 in 2001 is any indication, we should get a pretty noticable increase in new registrations once Civ4 is out.
                              I think that says it for us all- I just can't wait for the onrushing hordes of Civ IVers Indeed, some will have been born after the release of Civ I ! What a culture shock. What a new culture!

Will it be a turn for the better? Or the worse?

Hopefully the quality of the game will be high so that the quality of the posters will be as such.

---
                              Kuciwalker If OT posts counted, then you'd have received a PCR
                              ---

By the way, just wondering, how many of the new deities have at some point received a PCR? I know I lost about 100 a few years back- (though, of course I'm still about 1200 from deity level, I'm close enough to be defacto in about 6 months, so I'll answer my own question )
                              -->Visit CGN!
                              -->"Production! More Production! Production creates Wealth! Production creates more Jobs!"-Wendell Willkie -1944

Comment

• I still remember DarkCloud's prediction that I would become an off-topicer. First he said I'd be one at 5000 posts, and then at 7000 posts. I'm over that, too, and still barely ever post in the OT, unless I'm in a silly mood, or really have something to say there, which is rare. OTOH, our OT is actually a forum where you can have a decent debate, once you learn to ignore the trolls and spam, unlike other forums I have seen where any debating would be a pointless waste of time (TM).
                                Well Solver, you're more an OTer than I these days...
                                -
                                By the way, where's the Faces of Apolyton update? I remember way back when that whs what started the little OT v. On Topic Debate... how long ago was that then- 2002? 2001? My how the time has flown.

I'm beginning to feel very old here.
                                -
                                That makes me remember... I think it might soon be time for another Apolyton Hall of Fame- Though I just realized (while typing this) that the base files are on a computer that I stuck in storage !!! !! !!! !!! (But thankfully since the results are posted in an online thread, I can reconstruct some of the data)

-->Visit CGN!
                                -->"Production! More Production! Production creates Wealth! Production creates more Jobs!"-Wendell Willkie -1944

Comment

Working...
                                X