Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Looking for something different in a Civ style Game?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

That's great... if you run on top of a source build, it will be better. Still, running on a separate source build will be good for you... but you should really test it with the current build. Why? Because that's what most players use now... and frankly, it doesn't make much sense to have a separate build required for your mod. For instance, the up to 12 civs thing can just be mentioned in the readme. The source build is upgraded constantly with new changes, and maintaining and upgrading a separate build for AoM is not feasible.

Same goes for cheat editor. Disabling access to it from the game won't do much good... if people want to cheat, let them. I know I never will, but someone may want to.

I hope you see my point .

Oh, about the King unit... I understand if it dies, the civ loses? If so, isn't that a problem for the AI?
    Solver, WePlayCiv Co-Administrator
    I can kill you whenever I please... but not today. - The Cigarette Smoking Man

Comment

"Oh, about the King unit... I understand if it dies, the civ loses?"

This is not Civ 3 where all cities turn to rubble if the King dies(stupid concept)

Succession is only an issue for the human. If he is without a King after turn 120, he incurs a -3 happiness hit and there is a 15% chance of a rebellion until he gets another king by building/rushing/disbanding units.

The king lives for 40-80 turns. When your current king reaches 30 turns you get a warning to build another. However, you cannot simply build a pile of kings and not worry about it as there is a too many kings issue. If you have more than one king, another counter starts and if it gets to above 30, there is a chance of a succession rebellion, where the next king leaves and casues a rebellion where 1-4 cities are attacked by enemy forces.

So the idea is to manage your succession, have the replacement King arrive when the main king is about 40 turns old.

The Ai does not have Kings (unless by some freak they get one in a ruin) and no succession. They do however, surrender if at war and reach the required inferiority. The starting default is 5 to 1, so if you are at war with an AI and take a city, if you have a 5 to 1 superiority in forces and cities, there is a chance the rest of the AI will surrender, cities intact, to you(rather than turn to piles of rubble). It is a big achievement, I have never had more than 2 in a game, and you get the triumph special effect and fanfare. If one AI surrenders to you, the surrender ratio goes up 1, so the next one requires a 6 to 1 superiority.

This allows you, early in the game (pre turn 200) to be an Alexander or Caesar, conquer a nation and have a triumph. Later it gets harder and harder, but not impossible. Grand startegy becomes really important.

One of the best things in AOM, thanks to Peter Triggs for the idea and base code.

Comment

Surrender idea . Definitely many situations in the ancient age where it makes sense for the AI to surrender, with a 20-city empire beating on its 2 cities. Very, very nice .
        Solver, WePlayCiv Co-Administrator
        I can kill you whenever I please... but not today. - The Cigarette Smoking Man

Comment

Can't wait to have a go at this now..........

Comment

Another 2 questions, the game has been tested with more than 8 rival civs? And with ultra gigantic map?

Comment

AOM has been developed and tested for ultra gig map (which is about 50% larger than the normal gigantic) and 8+civs(I usually have 10). Mainly land and continent settings.

You need access to land based resources to exploit them and on a smaller map, there will not be that much available.

Comment

you know how CtC has city ratio and unit count ratio w/ default at 3 to 1, and it has been incredibly hard to get my unit counts over double theirs, so if you do unit count needs 5to1, it pretty much is just going to save the winner a few units...

Comment

The surrender ration intial value can be selected from between 2 to 1 and 5 to one. It defaults to 5 to 1 if none is selected. I always play with 5 to 1 as I feel it should not be too easy.

Each time an empire surrenders, it goes up by 1 because the Human can expand better than a lot of the AI.

Comment

I have a 56k modem and getright - as long as the server has reuming ability I don't care how long it takes to download since I have unlimited hours per month...any way to save 5 bucks! :wink:
                    Avoid COLONY RUSH on Galactic Civlizations II (both DL & DA) with my Slow Start Mod.
                    Finding Civ 4: Colonization too easy? Try my Ten Colonies challenge.

Comment

• I could download 400mb in short order. No problems there.

Comment

• I can now announce that we will be hosting the full version of AOM

This should all be complete in the following days....
                        Co-Founder, Apolyton Civilization Site
                        Co-Owner/Webmaster, Top40-Charts.com | CTO, Apogee Information Systems
                        giannopoulos.info: my non-mobile non-photo news & articles blog

Comment

• to Markos!

ACK!
                          Don't try to confuse the issue with half-truths and gorilla dust!

Comment

• Excellent.

Although of course this means I'll have to find a copy of CTP2 somewhere.
                            I'm building a wagon! On some other part of the internets, obviously (but not that other site).

Comment

• Skanky, I'm sure that can't be much of a problem, the game's free now, isn't it? I mean, with the source code being released and the game not supported anymore, I guess it's free for all?

Oh, and:
                              Do not fear, for I am with you; Do not anxiously look about you, for I am your God.-Isaiah 41:10
                              I praise you because I am fearfully and wonderfully made - Psalms 139.14a
                              Also active on WePlayCiv.

Comment

• Originally posted by Nikolai
                                Skanky, I'm sure that can't be much of a problem, the game's free now, isn't it? I mean, with the source code being released and the game not supported anymore, I guess it's free for all?
                                Open Source != Freeware

From the Source Code Project FAQ:

6) Why did Activision release the source code? / How about making a no-CD patch?

You may wonder why Activision would release the source code: surely, if anyone can compile the game and edit it as they see fit, can't they just remove the copyright protection and play the game without paying for it? The answer is that they covered this option: the data and media files are not included in the source code file, so you still need to buy a copy of the CD to be able to use the code. Also, the EULA (user agreement) is set up in such a way that changing the game so that the original game is no longer needed to be able play is strictly forbidden (this means no no-cd patches). Basically, we may edit the game as we see fit, as long as resulting updates/new products still requires the CtP2 CD to play. Releasing the source code was a very generous act of Activision which most software companies would never even consider
                                And support for the game was never stopped, it has always continued to exist on Apolyton

Skanky,
                                Stankarp managed to get his hands on a few new copies of CtP2 and offers them for sale (at cost price) on his website (the one he links to in the first post). Considering you both live down under, that's probably the cheapest way for you to get a (new) copy...
                                Administrator of WePlayCiv -- Civ5 Info Centre | Forum | Gallery

Comment

Working...
                                X