Why are the Screens Blown Out?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Why are the Screens Blown Out?

I have to scroll the page over every time in order to read the entirety of a post as of late. I didn't have to do that before at this Web site. Something's forcing the screens to blow out.

Is there a Web address or something causing this? Or is it those two lines of options at the top of the page ("control panel," "search," "faq," "new posts," etc.), which seem to have increased in number of options as of late? (For instance, the "new!" bar has a long red box behind the words.)

Gatekeeper
    "I may not agree with what you have to say, but I'll die defending your right to say it." — Voltaire

"Wheresoever you go, go with all your heart." — Confucius

The ad for paid Apolyton, "Avatar Enlargement: We've Got the Solution," seems to be one of the causes, IMO.

Gatekeeper
    "I may not agree with what you have to say, but I'll die defending your right to say it." — Voltaire

Comment

screenshot please
      Co-Founder, Apolyton Civilization Site
      Co-Owner/Webmaster, Top40-Charts.com | CTO, Apogee Information Systems
      giannopoulos.info: my non-mobile non-photo news & articles blog

Comment

Here's a screenshot (well, 2 pasted together), originally 800 pixels wide, with the problems highlighted.

It's mainly the "Avatar Enlargement..." thing that causes the problems with the forum posts. When it's not there, the posts show up nicely for me, without having to scroll to see the right end of it.

The busy index does require scrolling but doesn't affect the posts...
        Attached Files
        Civilization II: maps, guides, links, scenarios, patches and utilities (+ Civ2Tech and CivEngineer)

Comment

I'm experiencing the same thing.

Darn annoying.

I was waiting for some one else to complain just in case i had screwed up my browser settings.

Using IE 6.0.2
          It's almost as if all his overconfident, absolutist assertions were spoonfed to him by a trusted website or subreddit. Sheeple
          RIP Tony Bogey & Baron O

Comment

Does the same effect occur if you use a different browser??

Monk
            so long and thanks for all the fish

Comment

Thanks! It's fixed!

The top index now wraps and I haven't seen the avatar enlargement text so far... Ah, the "edit" and "reply with quote" buttons are now aligned to the right and are no longer affected by the text ad.

(and just for the record, I use Firefox, so yes, Bloody Monk)
              Civilization II: maps, guides, links, scenarios, patches and utilities (+ Civ2Tech and CivEngineer)

Comment

It's worse for me now The avatars are taking up a third of the screen.
                It's almost as if all his overconfident, absolutist assertions were spoonfed to him by a trusted website or subreddit. Sheeple
                RIP Tony Bogey & Baron O

Comment

except in this thread where the title overlays the avatar so the page ends up the usual size.
                  RIP Tony Bogey & Baron O

Comment

I don't have this problem at all. But then again, that might be because I have a screen with 1600x1200.
                    Do not fear, for I am with you; Do not anxiously look about you, for I am your God.-Isaiah 41:10
                    I praise you because I am fearfully and wonderfully made - Psalms 139.14a
                    Also active on WePlayCiv.

Comment

Works fine for me in IE 6.0.2 (which I only used to test this problem, I might add). As you are a mod, I assume that the Plus features prevent any advertisements being the problem.

I use light-ultra-special style, but also tested plain default style and still cannot reproduce the problem.

Resolution may be the issue? I use 1280x1024. I'm not changing that even for testing purposes.
                      I'm building a wagon! On some other part of the internets, obviously (but not that other site).

Comment

Higher screen resolution.
                        I'm consitently stupid- Japher
                        I think that opinion in the United States is decidedly different from the rest of the world because we have a free press -- by free, I mean a virgorously presented right wing point of view on the air and available to all.- Ned

Comment

Markos:

Splitting the index into two lines seems to have done the trick for the most part. Thanks!

About the only thing now that causes blown-out lines are superlong thread titles, the occasional Web link and the "Avatar Enlargement" ad, and two of those three are pretty much beyond your control.

Gatekeeper

P.S. And Mercator, thanks for diagramming the situation.

Comment

Still messed up. In fact the screen got even wider.
                            RIP Tony Bogey & Baron O

Comment

@Gatekeeper: No problem...

@rah: screenshot please

Comment

Working...
                              X