No announcement yet.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

We have a winner. Thanks.

Despot-(1a) : a ruler with absolute power and authority (1b) : a person exercising power tyrannically
    Beyond Alpha Centauri-Witness the glory of Sheng-ji Yang
    *****Citizen of the Hive****
    "...but what sane person would move from Hawaii to Indiana?" -Dis

Comment

w00t looks good

Comment

Personally, I prefer the avatar ...
        Why can't you be a non-conformist just like everybody else?

It's no good (from an evolutionary point of view) to have the physique of Tarzan if you have the sex drive of a philosopher. -- Michael Ruse
        The Nedaverse I can accept, but not the Berzaverse. There can only be so many alternate realities. -- Elok

Comment

Cuando un dedo señala la luna, los tontos miran el dedo. (del Mayo francés)

Comment

After all these years, I've finally decided to start using an avatar. But I can't get the background to be transparent! I've tried and tried for an hour or so, both in Corel Photo House and Adobe Photoshop (neither of which I'm any good at), but I can't get it to work.

Is there some kind soul who would do it for me? I'd be very grateful if you could help me out, and please, it's just the background surrounding the blue circle that should be transparent, not the V in the middle.

Comment

Let's see if this is better:
              Attached Files

Comment

My, that was quick!

Thanks a lot, Zopper. It does look much better now.

Edit: Your own avatar isn't half bad either. No doubt much amusement awaits now that I've turned avatars back on...
                Last edited by Winston; July 3, 2004, 06:34.

Comment

The quick and dirty way is to open the image in ImageReady (it's bundled with Photoshop) > select the magic eraser (it's the eraser icon with a small asterisk, on the same spot as the normal eraser, click and hold on the icon to switch erasers) > and then erase the surface you want to make it transparent > save as *.gif

Comment

I use i.Mage, set the Palette colour for transparency, and save background as opaque.
                    It's pretty good for making magic messages, especially on a white background.

Comment

Maybe that's the problem, I don't have ImageReady bundled with Photoshop, as it's an old version (3.0) from the mid-90's I believe.

However, it does do an awful lot of other impressive stuff, none of which seem to have the slightest connection to making transparent backgrounds.

But even then, I probably wouldn't have been able to figure it out.

Comment

I don't use i.Mage for much other than graphics conversion - but Graphics conversion it does.

There you go. Have fun.

Comment

Originally posted by Winston
                          Maybe that's the problem, I don't have ImageReady bundled with Photoshop, as it's an old version (3.0) from the mid-90's I believe.

However, it does do an awful lot of other impressive stuff, none of which seem to have the slightest connection to making transparent backgrounds.
                          You need to export to GIF89 format from inside PhotoShop. It should be under the "File" menu. You may need a plug-in for it to work.
                          (\__/) 07/07/1937 - Never forget
                          (='.'=) "Claims demand evidence; extraordinary claims demand extraordinary evidence." -- Carl Sagan
                          (")_(") "Starting the fire from within."

Comment

Working...
                          X