Clear All

Originally posted by SlowwHand View Post
    WTF was StL thinking?
    That they would probably never get caught
    Keep on Civin'
    RIP rah, Tony Bogey & Baron O

Comment

Anyone surprised about this?

New documents obtained by Outside the Lines indicate Rose bet extensively on baseball -- and on the Reds -- as he racked up the last hits of a record-smashing career in 1986.

Comment

No, and still noting that they have no evidence that he ever bet against himself.
        While gambling on the sport you're playing is bad, it's not as bad as betting you're going to lose.
        I know. But I think he's suffered enough on this one. If wife beaters and worse can get a second chance, I can have sympathy here.
        It's almost as if all his overconfident, absolutist assertions were spoonfed to him by a trusted website or subreddit. Sheeple
        RIP Tony Bogey & Baron O

Comment

Originally posted by rah View Post
          No, and still noting that they have no evidence that he ever bet against himself.
          While gambling on the sport you're playing is bad, it's not as bad as betting you're going to lose.
          I know. But I think he's suffered enough on this one. If wife beaters and worse can get a second chance, I can have sympathy here.
          Would you like Baseball to have the same tarnished reputation of the NBA and their gambling black marks? The rules are their for a reason. Gambling by anyone involved in the game tarnishes the league, for decades.

Heck, even ignoring the betting on his own team as a player or a manager, there is evidence that he bet on other teams at least 30 times in less than a single season. I'm pretty sure you get a years banishment for each of those instances. We haven't even reached the end of what that punishment would be.

Let him rot.

Comment

Unless they can prove that he fixed a game, or bet on a team he was playing/coaching against and attempted to change the games through his actions, I really don't care anymore.
            He's paid a stiff price, and it's about time to say enough is enough. He's paid his dues.

Gambling is simply gambling, and I'm sure many baseball players have been to Vegas, or play cards for money when on road trips...
            Fixing games is a different story. And anybody caught doing that deserves what they get. There is no proof or even a hint that Pete Rose attempted to or fixed a game.

I would hazard a guess that his attitude has been a major problem... but there are a ton of wife beaters and asshats in the HOF.
            Keep on Civin'
            RIP rah, Tony Bogey & Baron O

Comment

This does seem to show that he bet on games he was involved in as a player which he has continued to deny through all these years. I would keep him out during his lifetime, at least.

Comment

It's been 25 years. Heck there have been guys that commuted murder that didn't spend that much time in prison.
                There are much scummier guys associated with baseball still.

I don't want to diminish what he did but I'm just not that enraged about it that much any more. The man has certainly been punished.

I'd vote for him for the HOF tomorrow.
                It's almost as if all his overconfident, absolutist assertions were spoonfed to him by a trusted website or subreddit. Sheeple
                RIP Tony Bogey & Baron O

Comment

Ditto.
                  Life is not measured by the number of breaths you take, but by the moments that take your breath away.
                  "Hating America is something best left to Mobius. He is an expert Yank hater.
                  He also hates Texans and Australians, he does diversify." ~ Braindead

Comment

It's been 25 years. Heck there have been guys that commuted murder that didn't spend that much time in prison.
                    There are much scummier guys associated with baseball still.

I don't want to diminish what he did but I'm just not that enraged about it that much any more. The man has certainly been punished.

I'd vote for him for the HOF tomorrow.
                    What does prison have to do with it? He has spent zero days in prison. He knew what the rules were, and he still broke them. Then he lied about it. Then he "came clean". Which was a lie. He doesn't have an honest bone in him.

Comment

Ty Cobb didn't have a non-racist bone in him.

It's a sports HOF, not a church.
                      Apolyton's Grim Reaper 2008, 2010 & 2011
                      RIP lest we forget... SG (2) and LaFayette -- Civ2 Succession Games Brothers-in-Arms

Comment

He knew what the rules were, and he still broke them.
                        Gaylord Perry
                        RIP Tony Bogey & Baron O

Comment

Gaylord Perry
                          served his punishment (10 games) and then went back to playing baseball. When Rose's punishment is up he'll be... oh wait.

Pitcher doctoring a ball gets 10 games.
                          Betting on baseball gets you a lifetime ban.

Perhaps I should rephrase my statement? "He knew the punishment for breaking that rule, and he still broke it."

Feel better?

Comment

And you believe that Perry only did it that one time?

And he's in the HALL of FAME. Some say if he hadn't cheated he wouldn't have.

I know what Rose did had a bigger punishment associated with it. (it Should)

But he was one of the best hitters in baseball ever, whose crime had nothing to do with his ability, unlike modern day cheaters and enhancers.

The modern day cheaters are still eligible for the hall, and while most will never make it in because the press will never vote for them, I think pete deserves the same.
                            Considering the % required, I doubt he'd ever make it in.

But again, just my personal opinion. You are correct. He broke the rule knowing the punishment. Gambling can be an addiction just like others. Others that have had addictions have made the hall.

I just think he has been punished enough. But it's not something I'm going to lose any sleep over.
                            RIP Tony Bogey & Baron O

Comment

And you believe that Perry only did it that one time?
                              I think he was caught only one time. I'm not penalizing someone who wasn't caught. Rose was caught, the new ledger that was found added even more cases of gambling.
                              And he's in the HALL of FAME. Some say if he hadn't cheated he wouldn't have.
                              I don't know enough about him to argue it, I never saw him play.

I know what Rose did had a bigger punishment associated with it. (it Should)

But he was one of the best hitters in baseball ever, whose crime had nothing to do with his ability,
                              So if you are/were a great player only some of the rules apply to you? Sorry, I can't accept that.

Comment

Forget Pete Rose. The difference between a year or two suspension and eternity is an unreasonable gulf.

Such punishment is unreasonable and draconian. MLB should fix that. IMHO.
                                Apolyton's Grim Reaper 2008, 2010 & 2011
                                RIP lest we forget... SG (2) and LaFayette -- Civ2 Succession Games Brothers-in-Arms

Comment

Working...
                                X