This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Very bad day for Tebow.

Looks like Joe Webb will have a 158.3 QB rating on only 5 attempts.
    "Flutie was better than Kelly, Elway, Esiason and Cunningham." - Ben Kenobi
    "I have nothing against Wilson, but he's nowhere near the same calibre of QB as Flutie. Flutie threw for 5k+ yards in the CFL." -Ben Kenobi

Comment

• They switched to the Eagles-Cowboys game on Fox. The funny thing is, I'm sure every Eagles fan is more concerned about the end of the Giants-Jets game than the beginning of the Eagles'.

Another weird thing, the Cowboys will probably pull their starters if the Giants beat the Jets. As weird as it is, this game won't matter in such case; only next week's game would matter. Very strange situation for a team to be able to afford to rest starters in week 16 but have a must-win week 17. Has this happened before?
      "I have nothing against Wilson, but he's nowhere near the same calibre of QB as Flutie. Flutie threw for 5k+ yards in the CFL." -Ben Kenobi

Comment

• Another 100 yard game for Reggie Bush who now has his first career 1000 yard season. That's 5 100-yard performances, with 4 straight, including a 200+ yard effort last week.

Who knew Reggie Bush is actually a pretty good back? What was Sean Payton doing with him in New Orleans?

Comment

• Dammit! WTF are they doing playing games on Saturday? ****! I missed my pick'em this week and I was tied for first going in to the week. ****!!!
          Founder of The Glory of War, CHAMPIONS OF APOLYTON!!!
          1992-Perot , 1996-Perot , 2000-Bush , 2004-Bush :|, 2008-Obama :|, 2012-Obama , 2016-Clinton , 2020-Biden

Comment

• Have to pay attention. It's a holiday weekend so, of course, they will have games on Saturday.

Comment

• Originally posted by Donegeal View Post
              Dammit! WTF are they doing playing games on Saturday? ****! I missed my pick'em this week and I was tied for first going in to the week. ****!!!
              Stop flipping out. Leave that to Jerome Simpson:

Comment

• Gotta admit, that's pretty damned cool.
                Apolyton's Grim Reaper 2008, 2010 & 2011
                RIP lest we forget... SG (2) and LaFayette -- Civ2 Succession Games Brothers-in-Arms

Comment

• What impresses me almost as much as the athleticism is the presence of mind to even think to flip with Daryl Washington bearing down on you. Simpson is skinny by NFL standards (6'2" 190lbs, 40lbs less than Washington) so he probably didn't want to make contact so in the space of a millisecond, he just decided to vault

Sure beats his other claim to fame:

Last edited by Al B. Sure!; December 25, 2011, 02:47.

Comment

• I love how Ming gets absolutely hysterical in football threads. Like crazy woman on Jerry Springer hysterical.

That being sad, Al's point is quite salient. What draws outside market interest in a team is superstars. Teams that win but are perceived as "boring" (ie no real stars) aren't going to be all that nationally followed. That's just pure honesty.

(Corollary to that is that teams with offensive star players are going to be much more nationally supported and followed than teams with mostly defensive star players - compare, say, the following of the Baltimore Ravens with the Indianapolis Colts in the last few years)
                    “I give you a new commandment, that you love one another. Just as I have loved you, you also should love one another. By this everyone will know that you are my disciples, if you have love for one another.”
                    - John 13:34-35 (NRSV)

Comment

• Originally posted by Imran Siddiqui View Post
                      I love how Ming gets absolutely hysterical in football threads. Like crazy woman on Jerry Springer hysterical.
                      That being sad, Al's point is quite salient. What draws outside market interest in a team is superstars. Teams that win but are perceived as "boring" (ie no real stars) aren't going to be all that nationally followed. That's just pure honesty.
                      You can throw insults around all you want, but it doesn't change the fact that you are totally wrong. Honestly, you either don't know how to read, or you missed the post that started the conversation... One more time...

Aaron Rodgers' Super Bowl-winning Green Bay Packers were picked by 22 percent of voters as their favorite team in the NFL, according to Public Policy Polling's newest national survey. The Cowboys finished second, with 11 percent of the vote, followed by the Bears, Giants and Steelers.
                      So only two teams were ranked higher than the Bears...

And if you have problems with that survey, feel free to look up others. What you will see is even more proof that both you and Al are wrong. The Bears rank high in every national "favorite team" survey I was able to find.

And if you look at overall NFL merchandise sales... (Numbers from 2011 through November)

Top 5 NFL Teams
                      1. Packers
                      2. Steelers
                      3. Cowboys
                      4. Bears
                      5. Patriots

Or, you can look at Nielsen's NFL Media Exposure Rankings... this shows interest in a team via TV, websites and online buzz. The Bears are tied for 4th in their analysis.

So honestly, neither you or Al know what you are talking about.
                      Keep on Civin'
                      RIP rah, Tony Bogey & Baron O

Comment

• Hey, Sloww:

Not looking too good. Better hope that heals up by next Sunday night.

Comment

• Hey Ming, you realize that the Bears play in the 3rd most populous city in the country, right? And the 1st most populace is divided between 2 teams and the 2nd most populous doesn't have a team?
                          “I give you a new commandment, that you love one another. Just as I have loved you, you also should love one another. By this everyone will know that you are my disciples, if you have love for one another.”
                          - John 13:34-35 (NRSV)

Comment

• I can't believe you guys are aguing about this.

Imran, going to city population is so sad, I can only conclude it's trolling.
                            Apolyton's Grim Reaper 2008, 2010 & 2011
                            RIP lest we forget... SG (2) and LaFayette -- Civ2 Succession Games Brothers-in-Arms

Comment

• Originally posted by Imran Siddiqui View Post
                              Hey Ming, you realize that the Bears play in the 3rd most populous city in the country, right? And the 1st most populace is divided between 2 teams and the 2nd most populous doesn't have a team?
                              Yeah... it is the lamest argument ever... He even contradicts himself by pointing out that the 2nd most populous city can't even support a team... but I guess he still thinks pop matters.
                              Keep on Civin'
                              RIP rah, Tony Bogey & Baron O

Comment

• Originally posted by Ming View Post
                                Yeah... it is the lamest argument ever... He even contradicts himself by pointing out that the 2nd most populous city can't even support a team... but I guess he still thinks pop matters.
                                I don't think neither the Rams nor Raiders left LA because they couldn't fill seats. Not sure how he's contradicting himself.

I don't see the Bears having a national fanbase. Look, I'm in Philly, Imran was in Jersey and now is in Atlanta, Ozzy (who also expressed similar sentiment) is in DC, and none of us see how the Bears have a national fanbase. You're just exhibiting homerism with an apparently lack of beyond the Chicago-area experiences in this regard, Ming.

The Bears are high in the rankings because there's a lot of people in the Chicago area. They may still have some older national fans because of Walter Payton but the Bears do not generate national fandom the way, let's say, the Cowboys or Packers do.

Comment

Working...
                                X