No announcement yet.

College Football 2013 Season

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Plus, that was a deadspin link. **** deadspin. It is the Drudge Report of sports websites.

If someone else reports it, fine. But I don't believe anything from that website.
    "My nation is the world, and my religion is to do good." --Thomas Paine
    "The subject of onanism is inexhaustable." --Sigmund Freud

Comment

• Um... everyone is reporting it.
      “I give you a new commandment, that you love one another. Just as I have loved you, you also should love one another. By this everyone will know that you are my disciples, if you have love for one another.”
      - John 13:34-35 (NRSV)

Comment

• Not a bad result for the 4-team playoff. I was satisfied with the BCS and what came before it, but this probably won't be much worse, if any. It has some good points. I like that college football is reclaiming January 1. I also like that the season still remains of uptmost prominence.

ND doesn't come out badly. If it deserves it, it will be in the mix. It makes independence easier.
        Last edited by DanS; July 7, 2012, 19:37.
        I came upon a barroom full of bad Salon pictures in which men with hats on the backs of their heads were wolfing food from a counter. It was the institution of the "free lunch" I had struck. You paid for a drink and got as much as you wanted to eat. For something less than a rupee a day a man can feed himself sumptuously in San Francisco, even though he be a bankrupt. Remember this if ever you are stranded in these parts. ~ Rudyard Kipling, 1891

Comment

• Originally posted by DanS View Post
          It makes independence possible.
          Fixed.
          Apolyton's Grim Reaper 2008, 2010 & 2011
          RIP lest we forget... SG (2) and LaFayette -- Civ2 Succession Games Brothers-in-Arms

Comment

• When's the last time they were relevant anyway? A lot of posters here weren't even born the last time they won.
            It's almost as if all his overconfident, absolutist assertions were spoonfed to him by a trusted website or subreddit. Sheeple
            RIP Tony Bogey & Baron O

Comment

• Slightly more reputable than Deadspin (only slightly though), even though its depressing it's important re: college sports in general:

Louis Freeh’s investigation at Penn State University appears to be examining Coach Joe Paterno’s apparent preference for handling issues internally.

In a 2005 e-mail from Dr. Vicky Triponey, then vice president of student affairs in charge of disciplining students, to athletic director Tim Curley and others, she summarizes a meeting they had with Paterno in which he tells her that he wants to be the sole disciplinarian of his players.

She criticizes Paterno for wanting to limit the Campus Code of Conduct to incidents that take place on campus and keeping disciplinary matters involving his players private. "Coach Paterno would rather we NOT inform the public when a football player is found responsible for committing a serious violation of the law and/or our student code -- despite any moral or legal obligation to do so," according to her e-mail.

In the same e-mail, Triponey, also refers to calls her office was receiving from coaches and others. "I must insist that the efforts to put pressure on (Student Affairs) and try to influence our decisions...simply MUST STOP," she writes.

Curley, in a subsequent e-mail, acknowledges that Triponey's take on the conversation with Paterno is accurate.

Triponey replies to Curley, "I know you are caught in the middle of a very difficult situation," an apparent reference to appeasing Paterno.

In a subsequent e-mail to then-Penn State President Graham Spanier she is more blunt: "I am very troubled by the manipulative, disrespectful, uncivil and abusive behavior of our football coach," she writes.
              In 2007, after a widely reported incident where more than a dozen players crashed an off-campus party and started a violent brawl, Paterno appears to send an e-mail, through his assistant, to Spanier that says, "I want to make sure everyone understands that the discipline of the players involved will be handled by me as soon as I am comfortable that I know all the facts."

Paterno's attorneys have said the coach didn't use e-mail. The exchange shows while he may not have had his own e-mail account, his assistant would still send e-mails for him.

Paterno planned to punish the team by forcing them to perform 10 hours of community service and clean up the stadium after home games, according to a memo provided by a source familiar with the investigation.

After Triponey tried to discipline football players in the same manner as other students, she was harassed both online and at her home, according to a source with knowledge of the investigation. On her front lawn somebody put up a "for sale" sign. Police installed a surveillance camera. In the end, the source says Spanier suggested she think about her future at Penn State, and she resigned.
              “I give you a new commandment, that you love one another. Just as I have loved you, you also should love one another. By this everyone will know that you are my disciples, if you have love for one another.”

Comment

• Originally posted by rah View Post
                When's the last time they were relevant anyway? A lot of posters here weren't even born the last time they won.
                When did Illinois win its last national championship?

Comment

• Originally posted by Tupac Shakur View Post
                  When did Illinois win its last national championship?
                  I didn't know Illinois had a seat at the table equal to Notre Dame's. They are the only school being represented in these talks for themselves alone and not a conference. Notre Dame has one rep in the meeting. Illinois, Indiana, Purdue, Northwestern, Ohio State, Michigan, Michigan State, Penn State, Wisconsin, Minnesota, Iowa and Nebraska all share the same representative. The last time the Big10 was in the title game was 2008, the last time they were relevant in title game importance was October 16th, 2010, when #1 Ohio State lost at Wisconsin. The last time Notre Dame was relevant for the National Title mid way through a season? I'll say 2002 when they started 8-0 with a #4 ranking, but the team finished the year 10-2.

The only time Illinois has been relevant in the national title discussion was when they upset #1 Ohio State in 2007. (Relevant only as a means to dismiss Ohio State from contention.)

Comment

• What he said. And the last time Illinois was the national champion was 1927.
                    It's almost as if all his overconfident, absolutist assertions were spoonfed to him by a trusted website or subreddit. Sheeple
                    RIP Tony Bogey & Baron O

Comment

And the last time Illinois was the national champion was 1927.
                      1951, actually.

I didn't know Illinois had a seat at the table equal to Notre Dame's.

They don't deserve one. Notre Dame is a far better and more relevant program than Illinois.

Comment

• Originally posted by Tupac Shakur View Post
                        1951, actually.

I didn't know Illinois had a seat at the table equal to Notre Dame's.

They don't deserve one. Notre Dame is a far better and more relevant program than Illinois.
                        So does Ohio State deserve their own representative? How about Alabama or LSU? I see no reason to reward Notre Dame for not joining a conference because they're afraid they lose even more.

Comment

• Originally posted by H Tower View Post
                          So does Ohio State deserve their own representative?
                          Yes.

How about Alabama or LSU?
                          Yes and yes.

I see no reason to reward Notre Dame for not joining a conference because they're afraid they lose even more.
                          No one's "rewarding" Notre Dame for not joining a conference. Notre Dame is able to remain independent because it's a power program and a very marketable brand that can't be ignored by the other powers. Alabama, LSU, and the Ohio State University could do the same thing if they wanted to, while Illinois could not. Don't hate the playa, hate the game.

Comment

• Why do you keep brining up Illinois? No one is saying that the Illini should be a powerful influence on the BCS playoffs. Some of us are saying that Notre Dame should not be a powerful factor. We didn't bring up Illinois, you did.

Comment

• Tupac, as far as I remember, only DanS has stood up for Notre Dame previously. I did, in an extremely minor manner. Why you now?
                              Life is not measured by the number of breaths you take, but by the moments that take your breath away.
                              "Hating America is something best left to Mobius. He is an expert Yank hater.
                              He also hates Texans and Australians, he does diversify." ~ Braindead

Comment

When's the last time they were relevant anyway? A lot of posters here weren't even born the last time they won.
                                You think that many posters here are under 24? Regardless they are relevant because they bring in the money and are one of the winningest programs in college football history. Few programs command the dollar amounts or the popularity of Notre Dame. So therefore they get special treatment. I mean if Penn State or Florida State could have made the money ND makes while being independent they'd never have joined a conference (people tend to forget that both PSU and FSU were independent until the 1990s). And FWIW, if Penn State and Florida State were independent to this day, I'd wager they'd get ND like special treatment in the playoff determination.

Comment

Working...
                                X