College Football 2013 Season

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Boris Godunov View Post
    I ask you again: If you had a kid who had been raped by Sandusky after 2002, would you believe Paterno had done enough?
    Reporting to the authorities should have been enough. That nothing was done makes it out to look like it wasn't enough.

Comment

• Originally posted by Guynemer View Post
      How could McQueary continue to share a campus with Sandusky?
      The administration, athletic department, and Paterno were all clearly willing to let Sandusky hang around, so McQueary didn't really have a choice other than to deal with it if he wanted to have a coaching career. He probably should've put the kids' welfare above his career ambitions, but that's a big sacrifice and I can understand why he didn't make it.

Comment

• Avoiding the penn state topic, there is a huge game out west on Saturday, Oregon vs Stanford. One of only three games this weekend that pits ranked vs ranked.

If Stanford wins, they keep national title hopes alive. Would Oregon still be in the running for a Rose Bowl Bid though? If the score remains close, I think they do.
        If Oregon wins, they will be Rose Bowl bound.

Comment

• Go Ducks!

Comment

• Who knew what about Jerry Sandusky? There were many missed chances to investigate as early as 1995

Comment

• In other college football news, Bret Bielema is still a douche...

Yesterday, when asked about recent scandals at Ohio State, Penn State, and other notable football institutions, Wisconsin's Bret Bielema reportedly remarked that it was a good time to be a Badger...

Comment

• At Penn State, Paterno had all the power. President Graham Spanier and athletic director Tim Curley were technically his bosses, but they held as much sway over him as the guys selling hot dogs at Beaver Stadium on Saturdays. We know this most vividly because in 2004, Spanier and Curley tried to push out the struggling 77-year-old coach, and Paterno told them ... no.

That distorted dynamic is why Sandusky was allowed free reign of the Penn State football complex years after the first account of sexual molestation surfaced. Who was going to stop him if not Paterno?

Many think Mike McQueary should have. According to his grand jury testimony, McQueary, then a 28-year-old graduate assistant, witnessed Sandusky raping a boy estimated to be 10 years old in the locker room showers. How, people ask, could a grown man like McQueary fail to step in and stop this atrocity when he saw it? Why did he not call the authorities?

In McQueary's world, Paterno was The Authority. McQueary, a State College native, former Penn State quarterback and son of a huge Nittany Lions fan, has spent nearly his entire life in a warped world few of us understand. What some view as cowardice probably seemed courageous to McQueary at the time: He went to The Authority's house and relayed bad things about the coach's long-time trusted confidant. He didn't know The Authority would merely pass the information along to his two in-name-only superiors, who then failed to take substantive action.

What's far more puzzling is how McQueary went to work for the next nine years and accepted seeing Sandusky at practice or in the weight room. But the Penn State football complex wasn't a normal workplace; the lone Authority was out to lunch in his last years on the job, but he held such clout that few dared to question his actions. That's not an excuse for McQueary's decisions, but it's reality -- a sick reality in which inaction was the norm.

Stewart Mandel, trenchant as always.

Comment

• Just made my picks for the weekend. Is Michigan seriously not giving up any points to Illinois?

Comment

• I know, right?

I'm a pretty big Illini fan, but I need at least 3.5 to go that way this week. Frankly, I was expecting it to be about 6.
                    Illinois hasn't scored in the first half since mid-October.
                    Last edited by -Jrabbit; November 11, 2011, 19:41.
                    Apolyton's Grim Reaper 2008, 2010 & 2011
                    RIP lest we forget... SG (2) and LaFayette -- Civ2 Succession Games Brothers-in-Arms

Comment

• Michigan is currently -1.
                      Life is not measured by the number of breaths you take, but by the moments that take your breath away.
                      "Hating America is something best left to Mobius. He is an expert Yank hater.
                      He also hates Texans and Australians, he does diversify." ~ Braindead

Comment

• Originally posted by -Jrabbit View Post
                        I know, right?

I'm a pretty big Illini fan, but I need at least 3.5 to go that way this week. Frankly, I was expecting it to be about 6.
                        Illinois hasn't scored in the first half since Red Grange was playing
                        fixed

Comment

• Originally posted by SlowwHand View Post
                          Michigan is currently -1.
                          Unbelievable.

Comment

• Have you seen the weather report for Champaign tomorrow?

It's supposed to be a windstorm worse than the one that hit East Lansing during the MSU-Michigan game, and the Illini D-line is better than the MSU D-line, and Michigan plays like **** on the road.

I actually think Illini by 10, but I have a hard time betting about my team.
                            "My nation is the world, and my religion is to do good." --Thomas Paine
                            "The subject of onanism is inexhaustable." --Sigmund Freud

Comment

• Shouldn't wind help Michigan by convincing the coaching staff not to let Denard pass?

Comment

• Didn't work that way against MSU, and they're gonna have even more trouble running against the Illini.
                                "My nation is the world, and my religion is to do good." --Thomas Paine
                                "The subject of onanism is inexhaustable." --Sigmund Freud

Comment

Working...
                                X