No announcement yet.

AHL- Apolyton Hockey League 10/11: Preseason

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Nice 4-0 win over the (****ing) Ducks.

The 27-time defending Lady Byng winner Pavel Datsyuk, of all people, notched a Gordie Howe hat trick, fighting Corey Perry for a few minutes in the third period. Unless I'm very much mistaken, that's his first true drop-the-gloves and duke-it-out fight ever in the NHL.

I generally don't approve of fighting. But, goddamn, I hate the Ducks.
    "My nation is the world, and my religion is to do good." --Thomas Paine
    "The subject of onanism is inexhaustable." --Sigmund Freud

Comment

• Originally posted by notyoueither View Post
      How do you clean splooge off the ceiling?

LOL

I am not surprised-- In the NHL teams don't often dominate as much and completely as the Flames did the Oil last year. Even the worst sometimes beat the best and well the Flames have been far from the best and we know the OIl are going to be far far from the worst this year. The question for the Oil is how far will they come this year? With a healthy Bulin and those quite excellent kids, they could be a threat to win every night and it will only be a matter of them avoiding mistakes.

The Flames? I think Asher and I were both very far from anything that could be called enthusiasm for this year's version and are both hoping and praying that Sutter's strategy of recycling players will somehow prove effective. The pre-season gave cause for some optimism. I know it doesn't count but apparently any team that has gone undefeated in the NHL pre-season (in the last 8 years) HAS gone on to make the playoffs that year. And I believe the Sutter model is that if somehow the Flames scrape into the playoffs then maybe Kipper stands on his head for a few rounds
      You don't get to 300 losses without being a pretty exceptional goaltender.-- Ben Kenobi speaking of Roberto Luongo

Comment

• Originally posted by Guynemer View Post
        Nice 4-0 win over the (****ing) Ducks.

Since I have Jimmy Howard in both our apolyton pools, I approve of that win as well.. Is it to late to reinstate shutouts as a category??
        You don't get to 300 losses without being a pretty exceptional goaltender.-- Ben Kenobi speaking of Roberto Luongo

Comment

• Originally posted by Guynemer View Post
          Nice 4-0 win over the (****ing) Ducks.

The 27-time defending Lady Byng winner Pavel Datsyuk, of all people, notched a Gordie Howe hat trick, fighting Corey Perry for a few minutes in the third period. Unless I'm very much mistaken, that's his first true drop-the-gloves and duke-it-out fight ever in the NHL.

I generally don't approve of fighting. But, goddamn, I hate the Ducks.
          He fought Niedermayer in the playoffs May 12, 2009.
          Those who would give up Essential Liberty to purchase a little Temporary Safety, deserve neither Liberty nor Safety. - Ben Franklin
          Iain Banks missed deadline due to Civ | The eyes are the groin of the head. - Dwight Schrute.
          One more turn .... One more turn .... | WWTSD

Comment

• ****e, you're right, I forgot about that.

Comment

• Has everyone seen the TSN clip on Jordan Eberle's goal and the Oilers reaction afterwards? I thought it was hilarious, but that may be just because I am an Oilers fan.

I've never tried to link youtube, so forgive me if this doesn't work right....

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FEGbBmdJ9YU

/me
              "Clearly I'm missing the thread some of where the NFL actually is." - Ben Kenobi on his NFL knowledge

Comment

• Incidentally, forgot to mention it:

Tiki: Love your team name.

Comment

• Luongo's looking crappy again. Is he the consensus most overrated goalie in the league?

Kipper's having a good season. Shutout tonight in a 1-0 OT win.

Luongo's let in 6 goals on 17 shots against the lowly Wild in the 2nd period so far tonight...
                  "The issue is there are still many people out there that use religion as a crutch for bigotry and hate. Like Ben."
                  Ben Kenobi: "That means I'm doing something right. "

Comment

• Classy Canucks strike again.

Long suspension coming, I suspect...

"The issue is there are still many people out there that use religion as a crutch for bigotry and hate. Like Ben."

Comment

• A few random hockey comments

1. Ok -- who are these hardworking Flames that combine decent defense with stellar goaltending plus work their asses off and then have enough offensive flair to score. THis CANNOT be the same team that looked so miserable earlier this year. This team could be inetresting to watch I guess but I am assunimng nothing aftyer just a few games. Last year the Flames were a top-scoring team for something like the first 8-10 games and then the wheels fell off.

2. Leafs-- Ok NObody expected them to be 82-0 LOL. It seems they are falling back to earth a little . . . but I did watch their first two wins this season and there was nothing lucky about those victories. But like the Flames we need to see what the team will do, game in and game out. I would NOT be shocked if the Leafs contend for a playoff spot this year.

3. Edmonton-- After NYE's early fun, they have fallen back and now sit 15th. Personally I expect that they will be a dangerous team all year but ultimately one that has a few too many holes to be a contender THIS year. They should be exciting to watch though.

4. New Jersey-- Did anyone ever think they would EVER be last in the east even at this early stage? Martin Brodeur . . . For the last few seasons I have avoided him in my pools since I always thought "THis year is when he fades" and he never did in the past. Could this be the season he fades??

Comment

• Jesus ****ing Christ, the Oilers' powerplay is HILARIOUS.

Two powerplays in a row, and the Flames have had ridiculous numbers of more scoring chances/breakaways than the Oilers. And a shortie just now.

Just brutal.

Comment

• The Flames have just been incredibly dominant the past few games. What the **** is going on?

Comment

• I had to say something.

Comment

• Originally posted by Asher View Post
                              The Flames have just been incredibly dominant the past few games. What the **** is going on?
                              I have been surprised as well. Part of it is that so far (and I know this is VERY early) many of the Flames have simply been better than last year and there have been some pleasant surprises

Defense has been pretty solid as expected. Kipper has been good to excellent

Tanguay is passing amazing-- If the other guys could finsih better he would have 15 assists already

Bourque has been ON FIRE

Glencross is playing like a demon most nights

Morrison has been a very pleasant surprise

Backlund has been pretty solid

Even freaking Craig Conroy has stepped in

The only downside seems to be that Jokkinen still doesn't seem to have figured out what to do on the ice but he does appear to be trying anyway. His fight to protect a teammate shows he wants to contribute somehow

Iggy? Who knows? I think the coaching staff are stopping expecting him to be the scorer every night. The shot still seems to be there and there are bursts of speed and power where you think he has 40 goal potential again but I find it pretty impossible to predict him.

Bottom line is that they have looked like a reasonably good team through 9 games. I am more optimistic than I was. But in the background I am recalling last year. The Flames also looked very good at this stage last season and in fact looked good pretty much into Dec . But then the wheels fell off. I don't yet feel confident that the tweaks to last years squad make them that much better

Comment

• Looks like Langkow has played his last hockey game. He experienced numbness below the waist while trying to get back into shape...looks like he got some serious damage to his spinal chord when he got the slapshot to the back last year.

Comment

Working...
                                X