No announcement yet.

Rugby - The Game They Play In Heaven II

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Mallett may be missed. The players will certainly miss him. Their tournament ended with a poor place, but they almost beat Ireland once more, and they got the best of France. They can certainly build upon this. Brunel is a good coach, but he comes from a place where everyone lives for rugby, and I'm unsure whether he'll be able to adapt to calcio-land.

In other news, Henson has been fired from Toulon. He broke into a fight with some of his team-members.
    "Son attitude envers certains membres de l'équipe serait à l'origine des débordements".
    This probably best translates as "He's been a real **** with some of his teammates." On the other hand, it must be hard to play with subpar players like Wilko when you're the best rugby player the world ever saw.
    Clash of Civilization team member
    (a civ-like game whose goal is low micromanagement and good AI)
    web site http://clash.apolyton.net/frame/index.shtml and forum here on apolyton)

Comment

• Indeed, Brunel's problem - assuming he gets the job - will be cultural. Rugby isn't a priority in this country. Basketball has a higher profile. Mallett had to be a wise older brother, friend, confidant to the players. And there's no conveyer belt of fine young talent coming through as there is in France. Here, the coach makes do, improvises, kids and cajoles. Anyway, we'll see.

One gets the feeling with Henson that he's in rugby suicide mode. Almost as though he's afraid of making a commitment in case he fails. He can always, in his mind, blame other people and outside forces. He slagged off Wilko and the Bok skipper, and got into a fight with Matt Henjak, surely the ultimate suicidal act. This is Matt Henjak who is in Europe only because, on a night on the turps in Perth, punched a Western Farce teammate in the jaw and broke it in several places.
      " ... and the following morning I should see the Boks wallop the Wallabies again?" - Havak
      "The only thing worse than being quoted in someone's sig is not being quoted in someone's sig." - finbar, with apologies to Oscar Wilde.

Comment

• He is certainly self-destructive, and it may be for that reason. Powell on the other hand seems to be equally self destructive purely because of a (very) limited IQ?

With Henson the telling thing was how quickly England's most poisonous club got rid of him - it spoke volumes as to how difficult he must be to manage.

Betson has been trimmed from the Wasps payroll - apparently he wanted an extension. So he joined Wasps as they nosedived and has achieved nothing with them. Still at least he was happy in London. Well Wycombe anyway. Another wasted 'retirement' to the Premiership.
        It is better to keep silent and be thought a fool than to speak and remove all doubt

Comment

• Goodbye D. Grewcock and good riddance. And how on earth did Azam get away with 4 weeks with his history?
          " ... and the following morning I should see the Boks wallop the Wallabies again?" - Havak
          "The only thing worse than being quoted in someone's sig is not being quoted in someone's sig." - finbar, with apologies to Oscar Wilde.

Comment

• Not sure - he isn't even part of the EPS. Or even English.

Grewcock was a fine player with a red mist problem - that hardly makes him unique amongst locks. A club history of Saracens and Bath taints his career almost as much as the disciplinary record. He was more effective in an England shirt than Steve Borthwick (whose club history is the reverse of Danny's and therefore also taints him).
            It is better to keep silent and be thought a fool than to speak and remove all doubt

Comment

• Outstanding stuff from Quins. Only have to play half that well to stitch up Stade who were poor against Clermont. Felt sorry for Clermont. They played all the rugby, some of it excellent, but with Brock James out, as well as his back-up, they had Russell - the ex-Bok, ex-Sarries utility back - at 10. Scored a great try but gifted two intercept tries to Stade by just not watching when passing. Cruel stuff. I remember Russell from his SA days. Blinding speed but not much else. Munster are a shadow of their former selves.

Shame that Leinster -v- Toulouse was the semi and not the final. Great game, and I didn't know who to support. They're my two favourite club teams. Leinster just too quick, too sharp and too strong. I don't know where the likes of Medard and Poitrenaud were for much of the game. I'd also have had Dusautoir and probably even Sowerby on much earlier. The Paddy back row was constantly doing damage.

Comment

• Yes, Leinster Toulouse was a great game. Leinster confiscated the ball and kept it all the time. They also slowed down the few balls Toulouse had.
                Toulouse wasted some of their few balls by doing two or three chisteras when being pushed into touch instead of going down and putting the ball on the soil, by kicking straight into Nacewa's hands. They also conceded too many penalties.
                I'm quite happy with Toulouse young scrummy, though. At 20, the guy is normally a 10 but he played quite well, tackles and is quite physical. I'm not sure if he's got a future at Toulouse, depending on who they get next year at 9 and 10, but he should be an interesting player to follow in years to come.
                web site http://clash.apolyton.net/frame/index.shtml and forum here on apolyton)

Comment

• I thought the young 9 did very well under the circumstances. They've signed Luke Burgess - NSW Waratah and the Wallaby back-up to Will Genia - to play 9. Aggressive, likes to run with the ball, but his passing is very erratic under pressure. His 10s are either picking up the ball from their toes or jumping to reach his passes. And Beauxis has signed, too. Still, at 20, the kid's got a long time ahead of him.

Comment

• Clancy's being a very poor referee so far. Two penalties against Perpignan already that don't make sense. One against the 15 who tried to catch the ball after an up and ender, another one for offside when Marty was behind the kicker... It's not going to be possible for Perpignan to have a fair fight in such conditions.

Comment

• On the other hand, Perpignan play so badly that Northamptton should cruise to the final easily.

Comment

• They did. Dreadful defence for starters. Bring back Nick Mallet.

Comment

• Well, you should see the bright side: One of Italy's weaknesses was their centres, and Italy will now benefit from the coach of the club which gave France one of our titular 3/4. You know, Marty? The guy who passes the ball as often as a hooker.
                          Anyway, a pitiful performance from Perpignan. Foden is as impressive as ever, and the Tongan prop looks frightening. I'm happy I'll never meet him on a pitch.

Comment

• Imagine if Marty has Italian heritage somewhere. I'm depressed. I'm going to bed.

Comment

• Steve Thompson has put himself in my bad books without hope of redemption. What on earth is he thinking going to Insects?

My word Saints are a strange side - so thoroughly dependent on a few gifted individuals. I would have to say I would back the wily Leinster back row to completely close Saints down in the final - but we shall see.

Oh and that Tongan prop is formidable indeed - though he does need teaching how tackling should involve the arms.

Comment

• Powell is to leave Wasps by mutual consent then when his one year deal expires. A sacking by any other name then.

Comment

Working...
                                X