No announcement yet.

Rugby - The Game They Play In Heaven II

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Well, that was hardly unpredictable...
    Is it me, or is MOBIUS a horrible person?

Comment

• Which aspect of which game? Or perhaps you meant Gatland's bizarre attempt to put a positive spin on the eight game streak? A big effort will be needed at Murrayfield.

Finbar it may be France's 6N to lose but do keep in mind they face England at Twickenham this year. Plus we all surely suspect there will be at least one game where there perfomance will bear no relation to the side we saw on saturday.

It will I think also be a total travesty if Ireland make it to the last game competing for a grand slam after their shambles in Rome - but I suspect France will tear them a new one next sunday anyway.
      It is better to keep silent and be thought a fool than to speak and remove all doubt

Comment

• That's exactly what I mean about it being theirs to lose. They're more than good enough to beat England even at Twickenham. But, as always, who knows? If their defence starts as sloppily as it ended up against Scotland, the Ashtons and Fodens could embarrass them. Couldn't agree more about Ireland. They were dire. How much did Bergamasco's conversion miss by? If Scotland want to front up again as they did against France, they should deal with Wales. Hook will probably start at 10 but he only knows how to run laterally. It's a Welsh disease.
        " ... and the following morning I should see the Boks wallop the Wallabies again?" - Havak
        "The only thing worse than being quoted in someone's sig is not being quoted in someone's sig." - finbar, with apologies to Oscar Wilde.

Comment

• Ireland were cursed with poor handling, particularly Darcy. Better hands and the tries might have started coming, Italy would need to start chasing the game and confidence with the Irish would rise - normal thrashing commences. I don't think Italy have moved to the next level yet, simply that Ireland had a really bad day and didn't have any answers.

France had an easy ride against Scotland. The Scottish scrum was dreadful and each knock-on by France gained them the advantage. In the lineout, Ross Ford is so crap that the French had it easy there too. The Scottish defence also let the French run around them and relied on cover defence having lost 30-40 meters to save the day. Given the advantages Scotland handed the French, the defeat should have been massive. Against England, Wales and Ireland the French shouldn't have it so easy and then we'll get a better measure of their capability - at present they are flattering to deceive and people are giving Scotland far too much credit.

The positives for Scotland really have to be Ansboro for actually straightening our running and taking on the French defence and Gray for looking to be a newer, better Doddie Weir. However, if I was Andy Robinson I'd be cursing that I have to consider players such as DeLuca, Ross, Southwell and to a certain extent Parks as the best options in their position. The sooner Scotland can replace these guys the better.

Comment

• Italy's improvement was in the area of discipline and control. They've sunk themselves so many times in the past in that regard. Oh for a decent #10. Kris Burton moved to Italy because he couldn't make the Queensland Reds squad in the days when they were much weaker than they are now. 'Nuff said.

I agree on the likes of DeLuca, and Parks in particular. Ansboro was the revelation. Finally someone who can run other than sideways. And what a difference it makes. Wales should take heed.
            " ... and the following morning I should see the Boks wallop the Wallabies again?" - Havak
            "The only thing worse than being quoted in someone's sig is not being quoted in someone's sig." - finbar, with apologies to Oscar Wilde.

Comment

• It's sort of one step forward, one step back with M'sieur French Coach, isn't it? Picks a proper full back but shifts his old one into the centres alongside a centre who should be on the wing if he's going to be selected at all.

Comment

• Originally posted by Havak View Post
                Which aspect of which game? Or perhaps you meant Gatland's bizarre attempt to put a positive spin on the eight game streak? A big effort will be needed at Murrayfield.
                Yeah, that was funny the way he said it with such conviction and a straight face!

They're saying that Andy Powell getting injured was a bad thing - for the opposing teams perhaps!
                Is it me, or is MOBIUS a horrible person?

Comment

• Poitrenaud at full back and Traille at center both make sense.
                  Rougerie on the other hand doesn't defend well as a center.
                  And that's the big problem with France: At times, they just stop defending. They stay on the line, waiting for the opposition to run into them, hoping they'll drop the ball. The result is, of course, a lot of tries. Until the coaches fix that, France will be crap. If O'Driscoll has a good day and Darcy removes the gloves, then Ireland have a good chance to win this week-end.
                  Clash of Civilization team member
                  (a civ-like game whose goal is low micromanagement and good AI)
                  web site http://clash.apolyton.net/frame/index.shtml and forum here on apolyton)

Comment

• I'd have Jauzion where he belongs and Traille maybe on the bench. I've seen some of Jauzion in the HC matches and he's not playing badly. Rougerie looks all right going forward and that's that. The Irish pack should be hammered, the Irish locks are both way below their best, their back row is under strength, there's no Tommy Bowe, the French halves have it over the Irish, but I understand your concern. Supporting France is like supporting the Wallabies only a thousand times worse. I feel some of your pain.

Comment

• Regarding the Irish back row I thought Heaslip was fit again?

And to pick up on what Mobius said it is quite clear watching Mr Powell that he was not first in line when the brains were being handed out.

With respect I also think KoC was quite wrong, in that Scotland did not scrum badly but were simply outplayed by a French pack on fire in that set piece. I can't see Ireland, whose coal face I don't really rate, troubling France in that aspect. If the same France turn up that is.

BOD appears to be the only Irish back in good form. They have over relied on him for years, as good as he certainly is. I would really expect a substantial French tally (but am not about to bet my house on it).
                      It is better to keep silent and be thought a fool than to speak and remove all doubt

Comment

• Yes, I just saw that Heaslip will be back. Trimble, too. Heaslip, very good player, will help the cause but he's no better than Harinordoquy. If the French back row want to play to their potential, BOD should struggle to see the ball. With the obvious, standard proviso, best summed up by not betting one's house. I also agree about the Scotland scrum.

Comment

• I note with interest that Ali Williams is with Nottingham short term as he tries to rebuild his fitness and form ahead of S15. In all honesty Championship rugby is about the lads level for me - but I wish him well with his ambition to get in the RWC squad. I can't see him displacing Whitelock but the old league crufter Thorn should be vulnerable to him.

England name the side at noon today. I'm not expecting Sinbad or Corbisiero to be named despite the fanfare of their call up to EPS this week.

Comment

• They've already been sent back to their clubs.

Comment

• I always knew Darren Gough was a d*ck. And I don't mean the thing that quacks.

Comment

• You mean the Tory type.

Already released - I should have known.

Comment

Working...
                                X