No announcement yet.

Rugby - The Game They Play In Heaven II

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Argh indeed. Rougerie looked not to have a clue at #13 against the Wallables, though he had Traille out of position and inept at #10 inside him.

As for England, has there ever been a more conservative, depressing and antiquated bench? The combined age has to be 3,684. Why? Still, on the field, Haskell promises lots of penalties to the oppo - I cannot fathom why he would be picked as a #7 in front of the tubby Armitage brother - and neither lock is genuine Test class. Still, the centres promise 80 minutes of dazzling ball skills. But, seriously, I'm looking forward to seeing Wood. Wales will more than likely defeat themselves as usual.
    " ... and the following morning I should see the Boks wallop the Wallabies again?" - Havak
    "The only thing worse than being quoted in someone's sig is not being quoted in someone's sig." - finbar, with apologies to Oscar Wilde.

Comment

• Neither lock genuine world class if you don't mind - they are certainly Test class in that neither are inferior to what two thirds of the tri-nations sides field (and hardly outclassed in the 6N either).

Wood is a good player (despite now being a Saint) though he has spent more time playing seven than Haskell has I am sure.

Mind you what do i know - the Saxons have dropped marler (and I thought he had a great game).

Thompson and Wilson baffle me - neither warrants their place. I mean Wilson over Corbisiero? Seriously? Worseley is there for damage limitation if the need arises - tackles his heart out in defence. Shaw is playing well but he is simply too old - the bench is the right place for him as I doubt he has 80 mins test rugger in him now. Care has improved but is still hardly convincing - I'd even prefer the young insect Simpson. Other than that the bench is fine - Jonny and the beast. Matt will terrify the Welsh with his dazzling ball skills and mesmeric running no doubt - or he might just run straight at them of course.
      It is better to keep silent and be thought a fool than to speak and remove all doubt

Comment

• Look on the bright side: Gav is leaving the country.
        " ... and the following morning I should see the Boks wallop the Wallabies again?" - Havak
        "The only thing worse than being quoted in someone's sig is not being quoted in someone's sig." - finbar, with apologies to Oscar Wilde.

Comment

• Bizarre as that is. I wonder if Toulon know what they are in for?
          It is better to keep silent and be thought a fool than to speak and remove all doubt

Comment

• Obviously his kids have moved to France. Weren't his kids the reason he wanted a London club? Ho hum.

Comment

• Good memory. Yes as he was trying to get released from the Ospreys contract that was what he touted to the media.

Which rather proves he talks nonsense. I wonder if Toulon have any idea how disruptive he is in a changing room (he needs a second spot allocated for his ego)

Three clubs, four games, one start. That is his season so far - and still he is touting a Wales recall in the 6N!!

Comment

• A very enjoyable game that for moments England looked like racing away with, but they never made the transition to the next level.

I've said it before and I'll say it again, England need to practice, practice and practice again nothing more in attack than how to score from 5 meters out. Once again that aspect was woeful.

Thought Hape and Tindall were poor, particularly Hape, but that the rest of the England outfit worked well together. Flood has really come on as a player in the last year, Ashton and Foden are exceptionally dangerous players and Wood had an excellent debut.

As for Wales, Peel needed to come on earlier as Phillips had a really poor game with many poor passes and quite a few lateral runs. Shane Williams never really got going and Roberts...did nothing. Hook played very well as did Stephen Jones. They were abit unlucky to get a player binned, but they lacked enough good ball and position to really make a go of things...England should have done better putting them away.

Dylan Hartley let me down though. I had £1 at 100 to 1 for him seeing red and 40 to 1 on Wales seeing red. Dylan should have done something beastly and a Welshman retaliated in such a way to also see red, then £140 to me. But no, he played well and I didn't see him causing trouble.

Thankfully the result went my way so I'm up 50% on my 'investment' so far

Comment

• Brave bet on the red cards - Hartley was always likely to have a good game today.

High error count and shaky execution but I always enjoy a win in Cardiff.

Shocked at seeing Gatland after the game though - the job is visibly aging him (and he could do with laying off the pies).

Youngs wasn't bad but one has got used to him being better than he was today. Poor options taken too often. Agree about Hape - of our Kiwi centres Flutey is more effective. Aside from them Banahan is the only other centre in the EPS I think. I thought Twelvetrees and Tuilagi looked a better unit for the Saxons last weekend? Have you seen much of Barritt (another Saxon)?

Swing low Sweet Chariots.

Comment

• Wales went sideways, England more solid and direct though limited, and a win in Cardiff is a win. It's time Gatland and Co moved on. Wales have been treading water for at least two years, making the same mistakes, wasting the same amount of possession, making the Scots look like the All Blacks in terms of ingenuity and penetration, and selecting the useless Andy Powell.

If England's midfield hadn't been such a black hole they could have buried Wales. Hape is good only for giving away penalties, running into tackles, and jumping out of the line to allow tries, and the #13 is what he is - a lump who can't pass off his left hand. How threatening were England when Ashton - I hope he breaks a leg and/or drops the ball the next time he showboats over the try line - and Foden saw the ball? And they usually only saw it from broken play. Flutey is a class above Hape but that's not saying much. I've seen Barritt two or three times recently but he's done nothing to suggest he's better than Flutey. There are other, younger, more interesting, more inspiring options but since when have those attributes appealed to J****? More's the pity. He will stick with his poor choices until his hand is forced, till he has no other option.

I thought Youngs was poor, about the worst I've seen him for England - though still better than Mike Phillips! - but everyone's allowed an off day. He looked nervous and unsettled. Maybe the occasion. Wood had a nice debut, that Haskell plays in front of S. Armitage is just criminal - more classic J**** blindness to the screaming obvious - and Toby Flood was solid, and not his fault that he was passing into a black hole.

This solid, direct, limited game will probably take England a long way in this 6N where the oppo is going to be either seriously flawed or mercurial in the sense of either sublime or utter shyte. What it means for their WC chances is another matter.

Comment

• But on the plus side at least you were not in my head this morning. Guinness you will be my downfall yet.

I shall be cheering for the underdogs today. No not the Irish and French underdogs, the other ones.

I don't think I expect much from the RWC beyond getting past the group stage. NZ will stroll it anyway. Unless the other France turns up again.

Comment

• Originally posted by Havak View Post
                        But on the plus side at least you were not in my head this morning. Guinness you will be my downfall yet.

I shall be cheering for the underdogs today. No not the Irish and French underdogs, the other ones.

I don't think I expect much from the RWC beyond getting past the group stage. NZ will stroll it anyway. Unless the other France turns up again.
                        Both Australia and South Africa can take New Zealand if they play well. The French may turn up. After which point England stand a chance as England are capable of taking down the French and Australians - less so South Africa.

Comment

• Shame for Italy. Courage, discipline, massive defence, probably deserved to win on the basis that they made the maximum of what they have. Unlike Ireland. But if that's Ireland's worst effort in Irish rugby history, and it has to be, then they're probably glad to get it out of the way. Just listened to Nick Mallett being interviewed in Italian. He knows Ireland were rubbish, knows Italy shouldn't have been close, but acknowledged the effort all the same.

Comment

• Italy was as usual: Almost bet Ireland. And still lost. Pity, pity, pity. I thought they might do it after McLean's try.

France managed to concede 3 tries against SCOTLAND. And the commentators and players are saying they are happy about it right now. They defended like they did against Australia, except it was Scotland. This won't lead France anywhere.
                            Clash of Civilization team member
                            (a civ-like game whose goal is low micromanagement and good AI)
                            web site http://clash.apolyton.net/frame/index.shtml and forum here on apolyton)

Comment

• Well to be fair - and perhaps I should whisper it - Scotland actually played pretty well.

Comment

• They did. I haven't seen better from them for a long time. They've actually found some penetration. Evans and Ansbro got over the gain line all over the place. That massive baby lock of theirs looks promising, too. Maybe Robinson can coach after all. Pity about the scrum, but then France's was on fire. The tournament is France's to lose. As just about always. Yes, they emptied the bench and slacked off in the last quarter but some of their counters were devastating. If they keep their minds on the job - which is always the question mark - it's theirs. Time will tell.

Comment

Working...
                                X