No announcement yet.

Rugby - The Game They Play In Heaven II

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• When I've read one of your columns in The Independent I'll let you know.

The French effort doesn't count. It was one of M'sieur Marc's experiments gone wrong. Why he has gutted a perfectly good 6 Nations-winning team I have no idea. Plus, they - well, as good as surrendered in the last fifteen minutes. It was a backline training exhibition for the Wallabies. Breathtakingly executed but kind of like ducks in a barrel.

Yes, the ABs lead the way. I think they were probably tired against the Taffys. Other than that I reckon the world rankings are about right.
    " ... and the following morning I should see the Boks wallop the Wallabies again?" - Havak
    "The only thing worse than being quoted in someone's sig is not being quoted in someone's sig." - finbar, with apologies to Oscar Wilde.

Comment

• Barbarians: James O'Connor (Aus); Joe Rococoko (NZ), Drew Mitchell (Aus), Adam Ashley-Cooper (Aus), Ma'a Nonu (NZ); Matt Giteau (Aus, capt), Will Genia (Aus); Salvatore Perugini (It), Stephen Moore (Aus), Neemia Tialata (NZ), Anton van Zyl (Stormers), Chris Jack (NZ), Rodney So'oialo (NZ), Martyn Williams (Wales), Colin Bourke (Chiefs).

Replacements: Keven Mealamu (NZ), John Yapp (Wales), Quintin Geldenhuys (It), Daniel Braid (NZ), Andy Ellis (NZ), Stephen Donald (NZ), Seru Rabeni (Fiji).

Looks like there could be a couple of tries amongst that backline.
      " ... and the following morning I should see the Boks wallop the Wallabies again?" - Havak
      "The only thing worse than being quoted in someone's sig is not being quoted in someone's sig." - finbar, with apologies to Oscar Wilde.

Comment

• More likely to be the Daily Mirror - I can handle their column sizes for Union.

And just one player from a UK based team joins the baaa-baas - which one might say is on form but is actually because it is outside the IRB window so most clubs will not release players.

Crofty has a broken shoulder by the way. The BBC expects him to be fit for the 6N - we shall see. I fear Brand Haskell is hoving into view....
        It is better to keep silent and be thought a fool than to speak and remove all doubt

Comment

• Yes, shame about young Croft. He was the only one threatening the Boks at the time. The 6 Nations is a bit over eight weeks away. I think he'll be lucky. Looking forward to the 6 Nations to see who builds on (or drops away) from the autumn Tests. The unknown factor, as always, is France. If M'sieur Marc cares to choose anything like an appropriate team they should go close. Or not. As always. And I thought being a Wallaby supporter was a recipe for ulcers.

Comment

• Some people around here say the biggest problem with Lièvremont is he still hasn't settled on a team, particularly the backs. Trinh Duc seems a given at 10 and was hurt, but his replacement is unclear (Skrela is the most experienced there for instance). The centers, well... The full back change from Poitrenaud is really surprising. As for the wingers, many were hurt during the 6N, so there wasn't much stability there either. Still, keeping the same players together and having them play with each other has some merits, independently on the qualities of this or that one. Right now, France has no back line, just a list of more or less talented players playing more or less in their position.
            Clash of Civilization team member
            (a civ-like game whose goal is low micromanagement and good AI)
            web site http://clash.apolyton.net/frame/index.shtml and forum here on apolyton)

Comment

• So the parallels with the Wallabies continue?
              It is better to keep silent and be thought a fool than to speak and remove all doubt

Comment

• Let he who is without lumps of shyte in his backline like M. Tindall cast the first stone.

Comment

• Well it's not like I select him you know I'd have Waldouck or Clarke in the 13 shirt. Or even Hipkiss - because at least when he boshes he stays on his feet to give his forwards something to work with! Oh and he has a brain of course.

Predictable IRB awards again? Hard to argue with them really.

Comment

• Except Hipkiss isn't porking some cloth-eared Royal bint.

Comment

• One assumes all of Leicester is in mourning after England didn't get past the first round of the silly contest in Switzerland.

Comment

• Probably. Even in this county Footy is the more followed game. It's the national game in fact - and they do take it very seriously.

Does it surprise anyone that FIFA is plagued by allegations of corruption? The system is an archaic one and the whole organisation is helmed by a rather odious little fellow who does not bother to conceal his anglophobia.

And I had no interest in the process at all - couldn't care less about the junior junior code of football myself. But when the PM is saying we should ignore blatant and obvious corruption until after the vote I think the world has gone quite mad. Actually Rooney earning a million every four weeks is madness - the game is reaching a crisis point as the players roll in gold.

Apparently the game at Exiles should go ahead today - not sure what it is like in Italia Finbar but we are having a very early and very nasty cold snap. Both friday Prem games were off.

And in the other game where exactly has this form for Cook come from? He has been struggling all year. Is the Aussie attack a weak one?

Comment

• The pitches thus far have been like roads. Plus the Australian bowling attack is, these days, only honest at best. The halcyon days are gone. England should take the series comfortably. Especially if the Australian selectors continue their stubborn approach, persisting with the likes of Michael Clark, carrying a chronic back injury and seriously out of form; Marcus North at 6, who either makes nothing or a ton, so completely unreliable, particularly under pressure. There are some very talented young batsmen coming through who should have started in Brisbane. There are also younger, more promising spinners than the journeyman they've selected. Chickens are coming home to roost.

The blizards haven't hit us yet in central Italy. The north's a different matter.

As to the matter of that farce in Switzerland, England - and, for that matter, Australia - got what they deserved. Knowing the system is corrupt, embracing it, grizzling after the event. Pathetic.

Comment

• I tend to agree. The excuse no doubt is that they had to work within the system that exists (but having lost they feel honour bound to point out it is corrupt).

Excellent win for Tigers at Exiles - 23 to 14. Places us nicely second as the Premiership pauses for Europe. Saints remain the form side but their game tomorrow is off.

Saw the highlights of the England innings this afternoon. Plenty of missed chances for Aus. Ponting's face told a story throughout. He has been a great servant of Aus but it is certainly not the best Aus side he has played in.
                            Last edited by Havak; December 4, 2010, 14:05. Reason: spelling correction

Comment

• Originally posted by Havak View Post
                              Apparently the game at Exiles should go ahead today - not sure what it is like in Italia Finbar but we are having a very early and very nasty cold snap. Both friday Prem games were off.
                              In France it's quite cold too. My last two matches were cancelled because of frozen pitch.
                              Clash of Civilization team member
                              (a civ-like game whose goal is low micromanagement and good AI)
                              web site http://clash.apolyton.net/frame/index.shtml and forum here on apolyton)

Comment

• It looks like your match next weekend is at risk too - more freezing temps on the way here until the end of the week at least.

Comment

Working...
                                X