No announcement yet.

Rugby - The Game They Play In Heaven II

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Lucky the Boks don't have a functioning backline. Could have been a slaughter. Last week's effort against the Haggis Munchers was just lazy. The awful conditions demanded more commitment than they gave.

England's Wallaby win proved to be a day out as I suspected, aided and abetted by the Wallabies. Croft's injury was a loss. He's a vastly better - albeit different - player to Fourie and looked one of the few threats to the Boks. Flood wasn't much missed. He was only kicking the pill to the Boks. Hodgson looked more effective. Foden's defensive frailties were scary - apart from the panicked pass into touch, he rarely seemed to be where he should have been, with others saving his bacon. And hopefully that's the last we see of Tindall. But it won't be. And Hape isn't the answer. England's steps forward have been predictable - the younger players, selected probably a season too late anyway, but offering energy and initiative. It was always going to happen. Now the management has to establish a framework that will exploit those talents. I wouldn't hold my breath under this management. Lewis Moody, post-match, blamed discipline (true) and errors (also true). But there was more to the loss than that.

Italy beat Fiji. Deserved win. The Fiji scrum was destroyed, their lineout nonexistent, and discipline appalling.

And now for the massacre in Cardiff....!

Followed by the one in France ...
    " ... and the following morning I should see the Boks wallop the Wallabies again?" - Havak
    "The only thing worse than being quoted in someone's sig is not being quoted in someone's sig." - finbar, with apologies to Oscar Wilde.

Comment

• Foden's defensive frailties...I must have missed that when he dealt with Spies one on one and intercepted for the try.

Comment

• I suppose an interception is technically defence.

Not sure which side I take there - I ike Foden but he made some howlers today.

Watching Wales I see proof Dan Carter is human. I like Whitelock but he does need to understand that you cannot literally tear the oppositions head off.

Thorn continues to suffer poor discipline and remains a weaker link for NZ.

*edit* Ooh well done Italy!
        It is better to keep silent and be thought a fool than to speak and remove all doubt

Comment

• Wales should be winning, they are just amazing blunderers, not in Scotland's league, but close.

Comment

• As I said, amazing blunderers.

Comment

• Final Score - Wales 25 NZ 37

That game was for there for the taking, Carter was far from his best and the Welsh pack was competitive - scrum time that was certainly the case.

Comment

• Powell needs to learn the same lesson as Whitelock.

Was it really there for Wales? I can't really agree with that. NZ were way off their best but still clearly a class above.
                It is better to keep silent and be thought a fool than to speak and remove all doubt

Comment

• Very good Wallaby performance.
                  Horrible French match.
                  The French were unable to follow the pace of the Australians. They were unable to follow, didn't advance to tackle but just waited the opponents. They suffered, and the australians were always more numerous, had all the opportunities and tore through what defense the French mustered. Ashley-Cooper, Mitchell, Genia played very well. Ouedraogo was abysmal. Losing Servat in the first half didn't help, but the back row and backs weren't able to defend. Traille never looked like he knew what to do with the ball when he had it, and that wasn't common either.
                  Having a good scrum is nice, but the game needs more than that as the australians showed.
                  Clash of Civilization team member
                  (a civ-like game whose goal is low micromanagement and good AI)
                  web site http://clash.apolyton.net/frame/index.shtml and forum here on apolyton)

Comment

• Yes, there was a massacre in Paris but not the one I expected. The French were abysmal. Scrum aside, particularly in the first half, the Wallabies were doing what the French are supposed to do. It's time M'sieur Marc stopped stuffing around and picked the best available players in their positions - which is to say, #10, centres, wings, full back. The Wallabies thought it was an early Christmas.

If Andydog was unhappy after last week, he'll be p*ssed about today. The ABs played about 10 minutes - I might be exaggerating - of very good rugby. And it proved to be enough. Typically, they capitalised. The Welsh, typically, didn't. If they had, they could have caused some embarrassment. Or the ABs might have created and capitalised on some more opportunities. I thought Carter looked unfit - favouring a leg - and SBW needs to learn a few more tricks.

Foden's defensive frailties...I must have missed that when he dealt with Spies one on one and intercepted for the try.
                    You obviously missed his panic under pressure leading to his wild, blind pass into touch - that could have gifted the oppo a try - and the several times he was caught out of position, the likes of Lawes having to barrel back to do his job for him. It's not that he can't tackle, and he's a very exciting player, but defensive positional play has always been his weakness. Still, in his favour, he looked like Chris Latham compared to his French counterpart tonight.
                    " ... and the following morning I should see the Boks wallop the Wallabies again?" - Havak
                    "The only thing worse than being quoted in someone's sig is not being quoted in someone's sig." - finbar, with apologies to Oscar Wilde.

Comment

• I'm just afraid that Guirado will come in for Servat and miss 2 lineout throws in a row once again.
                      My heart of cold stone actually bled a little for you, mon ami, as I recalled your comment when Guirado came on and missed just about all his lineout throws. Still, on the bright side, you can set up shop as a clairvoyant.

Comment

• I've just realised why David Flatman will never wear an England jersey. Having stumbled across his columns for The Independent, I've discovered that he's not only intelligent, he has a keen sense of humour, but, most of all, he's literate. Hence he can't be a real prop.

Comment

• Great link to the France Vs Australia game: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S2QErM_qnN0

Some fantastic tries. It is also pleasing to note that the commentary actually feels positive...actually is providing a description of the game.

The great Bill McLaren would commentate on the game. Our current crop on the BBC and Sky just moan and speculate on how the coach should do things differently, or how the IRB needs to change the rules. If England were getting such a thrashing, our commentators would have stopped commentating and would be on full moan.

Bravo Frenchie commentator and bravo Australia for some magical rugby...

Comment

• Well, sometimes the FFrench commentators should look at the referee and his gestures when he explains why he gave a penalty instead of guessing silly stuff. They are not too biased, but the best commentator, Cazalbou, doesn't follow France, only the 'other' matches in the 6 Nations. A pity as he is really great. e was the scrum half of Toulouse for many years, and has a much better analysis and comments of the game than Galthié.
                            Still, the worst second half I ever saw France play.
                            Clash of Civilization team member
                            (a civ-like game whose goal is low micromanagement and good AI)
                            web site http://clash.apolyton.net/frame/index.shtml and forum here on apolyton)

Comment

• M'sieur Marc:

"I'm still convinced that we are going about things the right way in terms of management, managing the squad, and strategy."
                              M-hm.

Comment

• Heh that was me you were describing and not Flatman surely?

That result in France really surprised me. Not the winner as such but the margin. So right now NZ are streets ahead when they engage the gears - but eveyone else can trouble anyone else on a good day?
                                Last edited by Havak; November 29, 2010, 09:14. Reason: wrong smilie

Comment

Working...
                                X