No announcement yet.

Rugby - The Game They Play In Heaven II

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• My bad kOc, I was so busy watching Jonny fall off tackles, make bad passes and kick the ball away that I failed to even spot that Manu was coming inside or rushing out the line. I guess my attention was focused elsewhere.

My own personal feeling is that only the Wallabies can stop NZ now. Although personally I am now getting behind France (although I half expect them to ship fifty to Wales next time out) but logically think only NZ deserve it as the unbeaten side (I guess I am conflicted).

A Wales-Oz final would be my ultimate nightmare. Not to mention putting the whole of NZ into therapy.

*And Tigers have written off a whole season to support this RWC. Time we asked ourselves if it is worth it perhaps?
    It is better to keep silent and be thought a fool than to speak and remove all doubt

Comment

• Heck, I'd've thought a Wales - Wallabies final might cause you to have to boycott the event.

I've not seen, heard or read anything of the Leicester performances this season but it strikes me that they've coped much better than this before under similar circumstances. Have the back ups not performed? Or has Cockers had one year too many?

In other news, the ABs have drafted in H. Gear - should have been there in the first place - and, of all people, S. Donald. Cruden is a talented young chap but the acid is going to be well and truly on him. With Donald as his only back up ... mmmm.
      " ... and the following morning I should see the Boks wallop the Wallabies again?" - Havak
      "The only thing worse than being quoted in someone's sig is not being quoted in someone's sig." - finbar, with apologies to Oscar Wilde.

Comment

• They have exceptional personnel trouble Finbar - call ups and inujuries mean over twenty senior players were unavailble at one point. So it's been players out of position and youngsters rushed in. Salvi has been playing number 8 for example! And we hardly have a fit prop in the squad. Couple this with the fact other sides have improved a great deal over the last twelve years (Tigers hardly dropped a point during RWC 1999 or 2003) and we are being found out massively.

I seriously think we should adopt the Saracens model - stop deliberately developing English players (and only do so accidentally). However having accidentally developed Farrell I think they are about to share our pain - they will lose him for the six nations I am sure, and that young lock I suspect. Possibly even that lad Barritt (as surely Allen or he get a look in over Tindall-tank now?).

I'm with Mike Catt - time to ditch the older players and bring through youth. Now is the time as in four years they will be mature senior players.

And for the Oz-Ab show down well if anyone can ruin the AB party it is their old friend Australia. Amazing that there is only one unbeaten side in the semi-finals. It would be kind of funny if France won though wouldn't it? The sublime following the ridiculous.
        It is better to keep silent and be thought a fool than to speak and remove all doubt

Comment

• I saw Teflon Andrew waffling on the sports news last night about the inquiry into the performance and J****'s future. I wouldn't be an England supporter for all the calzoni in Italy. J**** and his coaches have been proved not up to the task in terms of 21st century rugby either with selections, strategy or coaching. Apart from anything else, the weakness at the breakdown, particularly on their own ball, became increasingly evident the further the 6N went. France bossed them in the first half, Scotland for most of the match, and the Irish did a demolition job. And it was no coincidence, even to me, that Youngs' confidence, hence form, dropped at exactly the same time. And what haunted them during the WC? It's why the French forwards and back row had only to half turn up and England were on the way to being toast. Sheesh.

I also think Youngs has some growing up to do. In his head. A great talent, he needs some maturity.

I think it might boil down to whether the Taffys can keep producing it. They were very impressive. I even saw Doctor Roberts offload against the Irish. Amazing.
          " ... and the following morning I should see the Boks wallop the Wallabies again?" - Havak
          "The only thing worse than being quoted in someone's sig is not being quoted in someone's sig." - finbar, with apologies to Oscar Wilde.

Comment

• Yes Youngs needs to grow up.

One subject on Rugby 606 yesterday - with Matt Dawson and your old friend VD in the studio - was what exactly does Rob Andrew do? No one knew the answer.

Jonno either needs time in club rugby or a time served coach alongside him. Some of the sub-coaches simply need to go. What will actually happen is the RFU will hold a review and conclude that everyone is doing a fine job and extend their contracts. They might even give Mr Teflon a raise.

Rob Andrew won one Premiership in 1998 having spent John Hall's money to assemble a team no one could live with (particularly during international call ups). Once Hall's money went so did Andrew's success on any level. No Sanzar Union would have made him a performance Director I am sure. He remains inexplicable to me.

Comment

• Manu overboard!

Manu - jumping out of a boat this time: http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/rugb...n/15234032.stm

Rugby World Cup 2011: England fine Manu Tuilagi for ferry jump

BBC sports news correspondent in Auckland
              Tuilagi emerges from the water after jumping off a ferry in Auckland Centre Manu Tuilagi has been formally warned by police and fined £3,000 by England rugby officials after jumping from a ferry in Auckland on Sunday.

The 20-year-old was detained by police after swimming a short distance to a pier at the ferry terminal.

"I'm really sorry. It was a silly thing to do and I apologise to everybody for any inconvenience," said Tuilagi.

The Rugby Football Union (RFU) would not comment on whether alcohol was involved in the incident. The ferry general manager said it was an extremely dangerous act that could have had tragic consequences as Tuilagi jumped off the back of the boat as it began reversing. England were knocked out of the tournament by France in the quarter-final on Saturday and left for home on Monday.

Manager Martin Johnson said: "This was an irresponsible thing to do. Manu has been disciplined internally and I have warned him about his future conduct."

The fine will be paid to the Rugby World Cup's Christchurch earthquake appeal.

Auckland Police spokeswoman Noreen Hegarty said: "A member of the England team jumped off a passenger ferry and swam a short distance to pier three at the terminal at 6.48pm last night.

"As he climbed ashore he was met by police officers before being taken to the Auckland Central police station and held for around an hour and a half.

"He was formally warned about the offence of disorderly behaviour before being released back to the team management. There is no suggestion he was pushed from the vessel."

The off-field conduct of some of the players has prompted front-page headlines throughout the tournament.

A group of players enjoyed a night out drinking in Queenstown, with permission from team manager Martin Johnson. Tindall later issued an apology for misleading the England management over his movements that night, having initially claimed he did not go on to another bar afterwards.

Johnson also confirmed during the tournament that he had reprimanded James Haskell, Dylan Hartley and Chris Ashton after a female member of staff in their Dunedin hotel complained of being teased with lewd comments.

Tuilagi was, earlier this month, fined £4,800 by the International Rugby Board for wearing an unapproved mouthguard carrying the name of a sponsor.

The Leicester centre was also banned for five weeks back in May of this year for punching Northampton's Ashton.

Tuilagi was initially banned for 10 weeks but his suspension was reduced in light of a push from from his England team-mate.
              Last edited by kittenOFchaos; October 10, 2011, 14:59.

Comment

• Originally posted by Havak View Post
                The sublime following the ridiculous.
                We usually do it the other way, you know.
                Clash of Civilization team member
                (a civ-like game whose goal is low micromanagement and good AI)
                web site http://clash.apolyton.net/frame/index.shtml and forum here on apolyton)

Comment

• Originally posted by LDiCesare View Post
                  We usually do it the other way, you know.
                  My Vincent is never anything other than sublime. Is this two games in a row where Le Fou hasn't made changes? Is this a record?

Richie McCaw may be in doubt for the weekend. Will the ABs suffer the quinella of nightmare injuries? For that matter, it's not sounding like Kurtley Beale will make it onto the field. Less of a problem for the Wallabies than McCaw would be for the ABs.

Comment

• What I am most looking forward to this weekend - is a darn good lie in on both days for the first time in ages.

Seriously though good luck to all sides involved.

Bizarre week here - a huge witch hunt is underway targetting Jonno and the players. Stupid over reaction as ever by the RFU and media - QFs was about what they merited so review the setup, change the coaching structure, ditch the liability players and move the **** on with things quietly.

Elsewhere the world came to an end as the welsh flag was flown at number 10 Downing Street.

And dare I suggest the media and BBC in particular have got hugely carried away with Wales. A promising young side with a great opportunity is what they are - not the best thing since sliced bread. However what really really counts against the Welsh nation for me is I discovered this morning that the moustachioed buffoon in those comparison website television ads is Welsh. Shame on you Wales, how could you let one of your own impose such persistent irritation on the nation?

Comment

• The French tackling continues to be ****. If the Welsh can avoid becoming conservative (a man down, you can't afford to be conservative!) and let Roberts and North smash a few more holes and get it to Hook, Half-Penny or Williams after the break-through they will score tries. But, if they play conservative and don't sling it around then the missing player will count far more and they're ignoring their best source of points - crap French tackling.

The red was in my view a yellow, but it was understandable that red was shown given it was a dangerous tackle - really brain dead.

Comment

• Welsh lineout is dreadful...and they're kicking the ball away...not good.

France 9 - Wales 3

Comment

• Try!!!

Just run through the crap French tackling it is THAT simple.

Comment

• FFS - the Welsh are getting the success through ball in hand, but they then try to drop-goal despite a great position to keep the French pinned and score some points.

The Welsh clearly don't understand where the French are weak.

TBH it is a stinker of a game.

Comment

• ROFL, like that was a penalty to Wales.

Comment

• France win - 9 points to 8.

Wales missed 3 penalty kicks, 1 conversion and two drops goals (really feeble) so they had the chances to win, but didn't take them.

Jeez France suck. Surely they can't win this RWC.
                                Last edited by kittenOFchaos; October 15, 2011, 07:31. Reason: Forgot the conversion attempt

Comment

Working...
                                X