No announcement yet.

Rugby - The Game They Play In Heaven II

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• LdiC, I saw extended highlights of the first outing against the Argies and thought your boys could easily have won it. They just got a bit over-ambitious towards the end.

The most dire of matches, kOc, but, frankly, England could and should have won and might have had Flood stayed on the field. Flood, BTW, is in danger of becoming a perma-crock. The utterly useless Farrell killed any chance England had. From the second half kick-off, I started monitoring his contribution. First six touches, six kicks, straight down the middle of the field, straight to the oppo. I gave up the monitoring. Just too depressing. Steyn, of course, was doing the same thing, and the look on his face was priceless when the Bok fans started booing him. Manu used solely as a battering ram, I don't think Joseph even touched the ball, Ashton - working very very hard - seemed to be playing a flanker's role. Good Boks last week, Boks at their worst and most limited this week, and very beatable. Just a shame England didn't have the skill or mindset at the nerve centre to do anything about it.
    " ... and the following morning I should see the Boks wallop the Wallabies again?" - Havak
    "The only thing worse than being quoted in someone's sig is not being quoted in someone's sig." - finbar, with apologies to Oscar Wilde.

Comment

• I really don't understand the player ratings given in the Telegraph: http://www.telegraph.co.uk/sport/rug...h-ratings.html

Danny Care, Dan Cole (he has had a really good tour, but still gets himself penalised far too often) and Goode really stood out yesterday, but Farrell, Joseph and Haskell were poor. That doesn't really go far enough. Haskell was a complete penis (as usual) and should have been given a yellow card. Joseph was invisible. Farrell kicked possession away and missed the final kick - they simply didn't have the patience of Munster to get it setup properly. Farrell is no Wilkinson and is not the answer at 10. Flood has never been the answer either, but is certainly a better option than Farrell. Whilst Tuilgali had his moments on attack, he even danced his way into the 22, but his defence was as reckless as ever. Several times he went charging in only to miss his man. That creates gaps and usually a SH team would take advantage of this - SA were really off their game. The England lineout was, poor and SA picked them off a number of times whilst England didn't interrupt SA.

The fact is both SA and Australia were there for the taking and both England and Wales failed to capitalise. In some regards the Irish did better than expected by getting within 3 of NZ last week and they suffered from lack of depth. Losing Ferris, Darcy, Heaslip, O'Connell and Bowe from their ranks showed that up really badly by the 3rd test.

Scotland did the business, but should be doing better with the quality of player we currently possess. I honestly believe our current crop is superior to anything we've had since the early 1990s except at 9 as Blair and Cusiter are past it.
      Last edited by kittenOFchaos; June 24, 2012, 06:43.

Comment

• It's Ackford doing the ratings. Clueless.
        " ... and the following morning I should see the Boks wallop the Wallabies again?" - Havak
        "The only thing worse than being quoted in someone's sig is not being quoted in someone's sig." - finbar, with apologies to Oscar Wilde.

Comment

• I watched the kissball last night. England committed, rubbish in midfield, kicking away possession at every opportunity. Sound familiar?

Comment

• finbar and horsey, brings back memories of civ 2

Comment

• Hey Mr B! I remember gifting you lots of techs in a game. Dear old Civ 2, still the greatest of them all. Mac left it behind a long time ago, unfortunately, when Classic disappeared. Still, I found a very clever clone adapted by someone for Intel Macs. I still beat up the AI when I get the urge.

Comment

• Oh the time I sank into Civ 2. No subsequent version grabbed me anything like as much. In fact I have still only launched Civ 5 the once. I've recently popped back to Napoleon Total War and having dominated the world as Britain am now unleashing my inner Prussian.

Yes the kissball had certain parallels with the rugger. Endeavour alone is not enough - some skill and intelligent decision making is needed too. Still at least the rugger side doesn't have anyone as woefully off the international pace as Ashley Young?

Perhaps the Boks were there for the taking but I cannot help but think they would have beaten us comfortably if they had a goal kicker on the pitch.

So the summer tours belong to SANZAR and the Scots - very well done the latter. Good news for the 6N too - it keeps turnip in place and every other 6N side will relish that?
                It is better to keep silent and be thought a fool than to speak and remove all doubt

Comment

• I always played England in Civ 2. That way, if I lost, I didn't care. Sometimes, if I felt more than usually perverse, I'd commit Civ 2 suicide just to watch England lose.

The Bok thing is academic anyway. Flood is now officially made of glass and Farrell is the man. Look forward to more mindless kicking straight to the oppo's back three. You know that Aaron Cruden is the same height as George Ford and less than half a stone heavier? In either NZ or Australia, Ford would be sniffing around the national team. Instead, he's farmed out to a lower grade club or warming the bench for his club. James O'Connor had his first Wallaby start a year younger than Ford is now. QED.

Comment

• Ho ho. Chortle. Wheeze. Giggle. Farrell Snr back into the England set up as defense and backs coach. I wonder if that means Catt is out on his tail. It will give him paws for thought.

Comment

• London Welsh win their appeal over their eligibility for promotion, which sees Newcastle Falcons relegated from the Premiership.

Falcons out, Welshists in
                      Last edited by kittenOFchaos; June 30, 2012, 05:18.

Comment

• Yup. The system works. Or not. Newcastle are probably going to appeal.

Comment

• No, they're not.

In the absence of anything of interest related to rugby* - curses on you, summer, just go away - I read that the railway line to the East Midlands is to be electrified. Does that mean the East Midlands has existed without electricity? Gas-fuelled street lighting? Wood stoves? Ice chests?

*I take that back. London Welsh sign Gav. In an unfortunate choice of words, the coach describes him as "unplayable". Buy a Thesaurus, Mr Jones.
                          Last edited by finbar; July 15, 2012, 03:46. Reason: Out of practice

Comment

• Apparently they want to play him at 10 and have moved to Oxford. Interesting times!
                            Is it me, or is MOBIUS a horrible person?

Comment

• Leicester resign Brett Deacon. Fair enough. Patrick Phibbs, though, is pretty average, even as injury cover.

Comment

• The salary cap in action I suspect. One cannot find above average at the right price a lot of the time. Leicester can often tease the best out of players if those players can buy into to the "Tigers way".

I'm sat here ruminating on my lack of patriotism. Both Boris and Dave from the evil party have suggested anyone who is cynical about the Olypmics is "un-British" but I found the Danny Boyle cermony overblown and pretentious, the way politicans (like Boris and Dave) are trying to bask in other peoples hard work as sickening as normal and the London centric focus of the media and games simply massively irritiating.

Thanks god now the actual sport has started.
                                Last edited by Havak; July 28, 2012, 08:19.
                                It is better to keep silent and be thought a fool than to speak and remove all doubt

Comment

Working...
                                X