Apolyton Fantasy Football D/ST League Draft

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Jaguar View Post
    Ooh, yes, I am going to change the league settings to have a six-team playoff, with weeks 14, 15, and 16. That's a beautiful setup for a 14-team league, because you play each other team once, in the regular season, and the top two teams get playoff byes.
    That's how we did it with 14 teams in IDP last year; loved the balanced schedule.

But you should note that Yahoo settings only allowed 6 teams into the 3-week playoff system; there was no second tier available. Which was a bummer.

Maybe it's different this year.
    Apolyton's Grim Reaper 2008, 2010 & 2011
    RIP lest we forget... SG (2) and LaFayette -- Civ2 Succession Games Brothers-in-Arms

Comment

I distinctly remember saying I wanted to play both league, yet somehow I'm not in this league.

Dickheads.

ACK!
      Don't try to confuse the issue with half-truths and gorilla dust!

Comment

Originally posted by Tuberski View Post
        I distinctly remember saying I wanted to play both league, yet somehow I'm not in this league.

Dickheads.

ACK!
        Actually, you said:
        I'll do both or either one.

ACK!
        Kids, you tried your best and you failed miserably. The lesson is, never try. -Homer

Comment

Actually he said:
          I'll do both or either one.

ACK!

But that's not important right now.

Comment

Eh, screw it, i'll just take the BAPAY... though I'm still open to trades for the duration of the first round, basically.

01.01 Jonny - Chris Johnson - RB - TEN
            01.02 Berzerker - MoJo - RB - JAX
            01.03 snoopy - Ray Rice - RB - BAL
            01.04 Flash9286 -
            01.05 Jaguar -
            01.06 Al B. -
            01.07 MRT -
            01.08 Spaced Cowboy -
            01.09 OzzyKP -
            01.10 joncha -
            01.11 duke o' york -
            01.12 Imran -
            01.13 Guynemer -
            01.14 Sloww -
            <Reverend> IRC is just multiplayer notepad.
            I like your SNOOPY POSTER! - While you Wait quote.

Comment

01.02 Berzerker - MoJo - RB - JAX
              01.04 Flash9286 - Adrian Peterson - RB - MIN
              01.05 Jaguar - Peyton Manning - QB - IND
              01.06 Al B. -
              01.07 MRT -
              01.08 Spaced Cowboy -
              01.09 OzzyKP -
              01.10 joncha -
              01.11 duke o' york -
              01.12 Imran -
              01.13 Guynemer -
              01.14 Sloww -
              "You're the biggest user of hindsight that I've ever known. Your favorite team, in any sport, is the one that just won. If you were a woman, you'd likely be a slut." - Slowwhand, to Imran

Eschewing silly games since December 4, 2005

Comment

Bugger this, there is no way that the picks will be round to me any time soon, so I'm off to bed.

But since this is the sports forum, I'd just like to point out that: Jessica Ennis - I most definitely would.

Comment

Give me a second. This is a tough decision. But I do have a question. Why is it that the league only has 13 teams on yahoo?

Imran is playing right?
                  Last edited by Al B. Sure!; July 31, 2010, 22:19.
                  "Flutie was better than Kelly, Elway, Esiason and Cunningham." - Ben Kenobi
                  "I have nothing against Wilson, but he's nowhere near the same calibre of QB as Flutie. Flutie threw for 5k+ yards in the CFL." -Ben Kenobi

Comment

01.02 Berzerker - Maurice Jones-Drew - RB - JAX
                    01.04 Flash9286 - Adrian Peterson - RB - MIN
                    01.05 Jaguar - Peyton Manning - QB - IND
                    01.06 Al B. - Frank Gore - RB - SF
                    01.07 MRT -
                    01.08 Spaced Cowboy -
                    01.09 OzzyKP -
                    01.10 joncha -
                    01.11 duke o' york -
                    01.12 Imran -
                    01.13 Guynemer -
                    01.14 Sloww -
                    "I have nothing against Wilson, but he's nowhere near the same calibre of QB as Flutie. Flutie threw for 5k+ yards in the CFL." -Ben Kenobi

Comment

WHOA! Hold the hell up. Al B asks a damned valid question. WTF is going on at Yahoo? Who hasn't joined?
                      Life is not measured by the number of breaths you take, but by the moments that take your breath away.
                      "Hating America is something best left to Mobius. He is an expert Yank hater.
                      He also hates Texans and Australians, he does diversify." ~ Braindead

Comment

Originally posted by SlowwHand View Post
                        WHOA! Hold the hell up. Al B asks a damned valid question. WTF is going on at Yahoo? Who hasn't joined?
                        As far as I can tell, it's Imran. I'm assuming 'Marc' with 'Purple Drank' is MRT since well that's obviously MRT. Imran

Comment

Oh, God. It ****ing figures.
                          Life is not measured by the number of breaths you take, but by the moments that take your breath away.

Comment

He posted in this thread so that's encouraging. He knows we're drafting.

Comment

Except that he wakes up in a different world every day.

Comment

Is he still a likely slut, Slowwy?

He'll join eventually. Don't worry about it, he's a responsible owner.

Q: "But Jaguar, you are such an experienced fantasy owner. Why are you taking a QB so early? All the fantasy literature tells you that you should take a RB early!"

A: Those lists are made with an entirely different scoring method in mind. In default Yahoo fantasy scoring, passing TDs only count for 4 points, you don't get points for completions, or negative points for incomplete passes and sacks, and the interception penalty is lower. In other words, QBs score less overall, and bad QBs are penalized much less for bad plays.

In our league, taking a top QB early on is an intelligent move. Maybe not as awesome as Chris Johnson or Ray Rice, but once those best RBs are gone, it's a great deal.

Peyton last year: 516 points
                                Steven Jackson (a frequent top RB choice) last year: 217 points
                                Matt Ryan last year: 306 points

In other words, the difference between the top QBs and the medium QBs is huge. It's about as big as the difference between a good RB and nothing. This is a property of our league rules (and the IDP league on Apolyton uses similar scoring, so it's also true there.)

Q: But Jaguar, why do we use different rules than the fantasy standard?

A: Glad you asked. It's because standard fantasy scoring sucks. There's no reason to nerf QB, the most important position in the game, especially when it's done with kind of nonsensical scoring settings. (Why should a passing TD count for 4 points? It's a touchdown! It's six ****ing points.) Standard fantasy scoring was created with the (incorrect) understanding that if you have a league where the top QBs score 500 and the top RBs score 300, QBs will be "overpowered." That's not true. There's a lot of variability in RB scoring, hence the heavy emphasis on running backs. Apolyton just traditionally uses a scoring that also really separates the good QBs from the bad ones.

There's a 210 point gulf between Peyton Manning and Matt Ryan. That's about the same difference between Adrian Peterson and Ryan Moats.
                                "You're the biggest user of hindsight that I've ever known. Your favorite team, in any sport, is the one that just won. If you were a woman, you'd likely be a slut." - Slowwhand, to Imran

Eschewing silly games since December 4, 2005

Comment

Working...
                                X