No announcement yet.

Worst Call in MLB History?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Because this one case now would be retroactive.
    Pool Manager - Lombardi Handicappers League - An NFL Pick 'Em Pool

https://youtu.be/HLNhPMQnWu4

Comment

But it wouldn't change anything other than getting AG the place in history he earned. The final score would still be 3-0. The only substantive difference would be that the "28th out" never happened. There's no practical reason not to overturn it.
      "My nation is the world, and my religion is to do good." --Thomas Paine
      "The subject of onanism is inexhaustable." --Sigmund Freud

Comment

So only retroactively fix what's convenient?
        Pool Manager - Lombardi Handicappers League - An NFL Pick 'Em Pool

https://youtu.be/HLNhPMQnWu4

Comment

Originally posted by Guynemer View Post
          But it wouldn't change anything other than getting AG the place in history he earned. The final score would still be 3-0. The only substantive difference would be that the "28th out" never happened. There's no practical reason not to overturn it.
          I agree that there is "no practical reason"... but it's not in the rules of the game. I've seen so many more bad calls in baseball and other sports that actually had an impact on the game, and they weren't overruled.

I do see your point and as I said in my post, I have mixed emotions on this one. Following the rules, or righting a wrong... both have good arguments behind them. With that being the case, I would simply prefer they follow the rules, since that is the one constant.
          Keep on Civin'
          RIP rah, Tony Bogey & Baron O

Comment

Anything that changes (rules, replay usage) should ONLY be forward-going. Gallaraga is doomed to having the most famous unrecognized perfect game in history on his record.

Just as I grew up hearing the story of Harvey Haddix, future baseball historians will tell this tale for years to come. Which is as it should be.
            Apolyton's Grim Reaper 2008, 2010 & 2011
            RIP lest we forget... SG (2) and LaFayette -- Civ2 Succession Games Brothers-in-Arms

Comment

Originally posted by -Jrabbit View Post
              That play is called an "out" by every ump in the world. He has no angle to judge any supposed juggle.
              I played enough infield to see plenty of outs given to runners because of slight bobbles, and he had a great angle on it. The pitcher was facing 2B with his left arm extended out with the open part of the glove and ball facing to the right where the ump was standing - you can even see him react, first the runner was out, then something changed his mind. If I was the ump and I had that angle I would have hesitated calling the runner out until I got a better look at that snow cone. Like Ming said, the umps should have gotten together and this ump should have asked for the meeting.

Originally posted by OzzyKP View Post
              Agreed. Berz is trying to rationalize what everyone (including the guy who made it) says is a really bad call.
              I saw what I saw... And DanS saw it too... It was the wrong call, it wasn't a really bad call (ie w/o any cause and effect). And I've already heard a couple TV commentators mention what I said, so everyone doesn't think it was a really bad call. Did you even see the play from the proper angle (OF)? Did you see the ball hanging out on the end of his glove? Did you see him snag the ball after appearing to hold it a second with the end of the glove? That imo caused the ump to think he bobbled it. If the ball had disappeared into the guy's glove I think the ump would have called the runner out. And of course he's saying that, good for him. He did blow the call... I'd like to hear him explain why.

Comment

Maybe he doesn't know why. Maybe he thought he was correct at the time of the call. Evidently he thought so.
                Life is not measured by the number of breaths you take, but by the moments that take your breath away.
                "Hating America is something best left to Mobius. He is an expert Yank hater.
                He also hates Texans and Australians, he does diversify." ~ Braindead

Comment

Well MLB are incorrect at the time of the call, and ever since, for denying us the chance to see the clip.

Comment

Life is not measured by the number of breaths you take, but by the moments that take your breath away.

Comment

So if it was "juggled" and that was the reason for the call, that would be an E-1.
                      So even if you're right (which I do not concede), it's still a bad call.
                      Last edited by -Jrabbit; June 5, 2010, 09:33.
                      Apolyton's Grim Reaper 2008, 2010 & 2011
                      RIP lest we forget... SG (2) and LaFayette -- Civ2 Succession Games Brothers-in-Arms

Comment

It was a bad call. There's no one in baseball calling it a correct call.

Comment

Originally posted by Berzerker View Post
                          I saw what I saw... And DanS saw it too... It was the wrong call, it wasn't a really bad call (ie w/o any cause and effect).
                          It was a really bad call. Rather, I was just pointing out why the mistake might have been made. When making calls at first base, umpires use the sound of the ball hitting the glove to make their determination. In this case, he may never have heard the ball hitting the glove.
                          I came upon a barroom full of bad Salon pictures in which men with hats on the backs of their heads were wolfing food from a counter. It was the institution of the "free lunch" I had struck. You paid for a drink and got as much as you wanted to eat. For something less than a rupee a day a man can feed himself sumptuously in San Francisco, even though he be a bankrupt. Remember this if ever you are stranded in these parts. ~ Rudyard Kipling, 1891

Comment

nm, arguing over bad and really bad is pointless
                            Last edited by Berzerker; June 5, 2010, 23:42.

Comment

You're probably right.
                              I came upon a barroom full of bad Salon pictures in which men with hats on the backs of their heads were wolfing food from a counter. It was the institution of the "free lunch" I had struck. You paid for a drink and got as much as you wanted to eat. For something less than a rupee a day a man can feed himself sumptuously in San Francisco, even though he be a bankrupt. Remember this if ever you are stranded in these parts. ~ Rudyard Kipling, 1891

Comment

Working...
                              X