Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

College Football '10 - Conference switching chaos!!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I mean Hell, Dan... the coach of the year award is NAMED the Bear Bryant Award!
    “I give you a new commandment, that you love one another. Just as I have loved you, you also should love one another. By this everyone will know that you are my disciples, if you have love for one another.”
    - John 13:34-35 (NRSV)

Comment

• Originally posted by Ming View Post
      Yeah, Happy Valley is a bad location... but it can offer an education. And while there are other places to go for the warm Florida lifestyle, Cincy can't offer that, or a top education. Cincy is recruiting with one hand tied behind it's back... no tradition, no top education, no lifestyle, limited facilities, and a school still fighting for respect. ND offers a great tradition, a top education, excellent facilities, and it's own TV network
      You make your own tradition, as Bobby Bowden did. Plenty of other Florida schools and have you been to Tallahassee too? It's warm, but kind of a crappy town (not that Gainesville is any better, mind). It's in the part of the state known as Florabama (for good reason). At least its close to water.
      “I give you a new commandment, that you love one another. Just as I have loved you, you also should love one another. By this everyone will know that you are my disciples, if you have love for one another.”

Comment

• Originally posted by Imran Siddiqui View Post
        I mean Hell, Dan... the coach of the year award is NAMED the Bear Bryant Award!
        If Leahy had coached so many years, it would have been named the Frank Leahy award. And it's not even a close comparison.
        I came upon a barroom full of bad Salon pictures in which men with hats on the backs of their heads were wolfing food from a counter. It was the institution of the "free lunch" I had struck. You paid for a drink and got as much as you wanted to eat. For something less than a rupee a day a man can feed himself sumptuously in San Francisco, even though he be a bankrupt. Remember this if ever you are stranded in these parts. ~ Rudyard Kipling, 1891

Comment

• Plus Cincinnati is located in Cincinnati. Definite detriment.
          Life is not measured by the number of breaths you take, but by the moments that take your breath away.
          "Hating America is something best left to Mobius. He is an expert Yank hater.
          He also hates Texans and Australians, he does diversify." ~ Braindead

Comment

• And just how long does it take to make your "own" tradition. You're saying that he should pass up the job he has already dreamed about in the HOPE that someday, if he really works hard, get's some luck, and can overcome the problems with recruiting in Cincy, so that he might build a great tradition. And on the other hand, he can take his dream job, have instant better facilities, a better recruiting base, money he deserves, and a chance to be one of the greatest coaches of all time. Hmmm... doesn't seem like much of a choice to me.
            Keep on Civin'
            RIP rah, Tony Bogey & Baron O

Comment

• Originally posted by DanS View Post
              If Leahy had coached so many years, it would have been named the Frank Leahy award. And it's not even a close comparison.

You are so incredibly delusional.

Comment

• Originally posted by Ming View Post
                And just how long does it take to make your "own" tradition. You're saying that he should pass up the job he has already dreamed about in the HOPE that someday, if he really works hard, get's some luck, and can overcome the problems with recruiting in Cincy, so that he might build a great tradition. And on the other hand, he can take his dream job, have instant better facilities, a better recruiting base, money he deserves, and a chance to be one of the greatest coaches of all time. Hmmm... doesn't seem like much of a choice to me.
                He already has "overcome the problems". Florida State and Penn State weren't built in a day.

Comment

He already has "overcome the problems". Florida State and Penn State weren't built in a day.
                  Has he really? He still has crappy facilities... He's not getting paid what he worth... He's already proven that being perfect isn't good enough because he plays in the weak Big East Conference. The only way he will ever get into a Championship game is if his Record is BETTER than his couterparts in the other big conferences, because being tied obviously isn't good enough. And you think he should stick it out in HOPES that things will get better over time. Well hell, if he's going to HOPE, why not take your dream job NOW and HOPE you will be great there.
                  Keep on Civin'

Comment

• Ming, what I'm saying is look at the example of Boise State. Chris Petersen has gotten many offers, but is willing to stay put (and has said so), and build what looks to be an incredibly successful program. His predessor, Dan Hawkins, was also very successful at Boise. Hawkins is 4th in total wins in a coach's first 5 seasons. He left for the greener pastures of Colorado, and look where he is now. Bet he wishes he stayed at Boise. And Hawkins replaced Dick Kotter, who moved 'up' to Arizona State and is now an offensive coordinator for Jacksonville Jaguars.

Comment

Ming, what I'm saying is look at the example of Boise State. Chris Petersen has gotten many offers, but is willing to stay put (and has said so), and build what looks to be an incredibly successful program. His predessor, Dan Hawkins, was also very successful at Boise. Hawkins is 4th in total wins in a coach's first 5 seasons. He left for the greener pastures of Colorado, and look where he is now. Bet he wishes he stayed at Boise. And Hawkins replaced Dick Kotter, who moved 'up' to Arizona State and is now an offensive coordinator for Jacksonville Jaguars. Though Kotter's predessor, Houston Nutt, has had success (one can argue Petersen has had more).
                      I notice that Boise State hasn't been playing for any national championships

Sure, they have built successful programs, I'm not saying that they can't. And some coaches move from smaller programs to bigger programs and fail, and others do so and succeed.

But no coach (unless he's a moron) thinks he's going to fail. Here is a guy who has been offered his dream job, and you really can't compare being successful at ND vs being successful at Cincy. And ND has ALL the advantages over Cincy... You seem to make it sound like it's a guarantee that if he stays, he will establish one of those incredibly successful programs. Sure, he might, and he's off to a good start.
                      But he could do the same at ND, a place HE REALLY WANTS TO COACH.
                      Keep on Civin'

Comment

• Wait a second, Ming. All those advantages were debunked by these jokers pages ago.
                        I came upon a barroom full of bad Salon pictures in which men with hats on the backs of their heads were wolfing food from a counter. It was the institution of the "free lunch" I had struck. You paid for a drink and got as much as you wanted to eat. For something less than a rupee a day a man can feed himself sumptuously in San Francisco, even though he be a bankrupt. Remember this if ever you are stranded in these parts. ~ Rudyard Kipling, 1891

Comment

• Um, preseason rankings being what they are, if Notre Dame went undefeated this year there would be a VERY good chance that they'd finish #3 behind Alabama and Texas (who were top 5 going into the season). Same place Cincy is.

And I think Chris Petersen is smart enough to realize he has a great thing where he is. Job security for life and the chance to build an amazingly successful long term program. He hasn't bit because he's seen what has happened to Hawkins, Rich Rodriguez (though Petersen was rumored to have been asked about the job by Michigan), etc.

Comment

Um, preseason rankings being what they are, if Notre Dame went undefeated this year there would be a VERY good chance that they'd finish #3 behind Alabama and Texas (who were top 5 going into the season). Same place Cincy is.
                            "CHANCE"... we will never know because it didn't happen. You are ignoring the ND magic, something Cincy doesn't have, and will probably never have.

And I think Chris Petersen is smart enough to realize he has a great thing where he is. Job security for life and the chance to build an amazingly successful long term program. He hasn't bit because he's seen what has happened to Hawkins, Rich Rodriguez (though Petersen was rumored to have been asked about the job by Michigan), etc.
                            Great, I'm happy for Chris Petersen. He's made his OWN choice based on what's good for HIM. You seem to be ignoring the fact that Brian Kelly isn't Chris Petersen, and that MAYBE he has different goals and desires. So Chris Petersen isn't really relevent to this discussion. Again, you can point out people who have failed and people who have succeeded when moving up... Pointing out one positive example doesn't mean the other isn't possible.
                            Keep on Civin'

Comment

• Originally posted by DanS View Post
                              Wait a second, Ming. All those advantages were debunked by these jokers pages ago.
                              Yeah... I'm sure they would all agree that given a choice, recruits will pick Cincy over Notre Dame every time
                              Keep on Civin'

Comment

• $$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$ nough said.
                                It's almost as if all his overconfident, absolutist assertions were spoonfed to him by a trusted website or subreddit. Sheeple
                                RIP Tony Bogey & Baron O

Comment

Working...
                                X