Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

College Football '10 - Conference switching chaos!!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Yeah... a real low class move, which may come back to haunt him in the future. Waiting until after the game probably would not have made much of a difference in the long run, and would have been the right way to go.

But was it really a "bad career" move?

Kelly has always wanted the ND job. The job doesn't open up that often, and the timing was perfect for Kelly (well, perfect if he had just waited until after bowl game). He has pretty much proved that he could turn Cincy into a Big East powerhouse. What else was left for him? There were no other "big" jobs open for next year. He's now getting the job of his dreams, and the big bucks. It's tough to call it a bad career move when from the persons perspective, he gets the one job he really wanted, and is being paid well to do it. IF he succeeds, he can probably keep his dream job and be "god" until he wants to retire. If he provides the Irish a consistently winning record, fails to deliver the national championship, but still keeps them regularly ranked and getting good bowl games and doesn't have back to back crappy years, it sure won't hurt his resume, since as you have all pointed out, there are many real factors going against ND.
    The only way it will really hurt his resume is if he starts having consistent mediocre/lossing seasons.
    And his track record indicates that is probably the least likely scenario.

Cincy was always just a stepping stone for him... He had already proven what he went there to prove. There were no other BIG jobs available, and who knows what might be open next year. And maybe, his stock would go down by next year if for some reason his team wasn't as successful (how do you beat a perfect record). Would he ever get this shot again?

So he gets to step up to a high visibility position that has a great tradtion in College Football, a job he has always wanted, and is getting paid the big bucks. And if he can have a perfect season, or even a one loss season some years, he will get the chance at a national championship... not something that was going to happen at Cincy. Even perfect for them wasn't good enough to get a shot. And, there is no guarantee that in the future, one of those other "Dream" jobs would ever be offered to him.

So, was it really that bad of a career move. What would you have done in his position? I guess it's easy to sit back and second guess him, but if you truly put yourself in his position...
    Keep on Civin'
    RIP rah, Tony Bogey & Baron O

Comment

• Originally posted by Guynemer View Post
      Not only a bad career move for Kelly, but also a low-class one. If ND wants him that badly, they can wait until three more weeks to have him.

Low class? This is usually how it works. Teams get their coaches after the regular season, leaving an interm coach for the bowl game.
      “I give you a new commandment, that you love one another. Just as I have loved you, you also should love one another. By this everyone will know that you are my disciples, if you have love for one another.”
      - John 13:34-35 (NRSV)

Comment

• Ming: On the other hand, Kelly did have somewhat of an oppertunity to become a new Paterno or Bowden, in regards to leading a nothing football team to continual national prominence. Notre Dame's problem has been incredibly unrealistic expectations. They basically won't allow you to rebuild, even if you are coming with a different system from your predecessor.
        “I give you a new commandment, that you love one another. Just as I have loved you, you also should love one another. By this everyone will know that you are my disciples, if you have love for one another.”

Comment

• Originally posted by Imran Siddiqui View Post
          Ming: On the other hand, Kelly did have somewhat of an oppertunity to become a new Paterno or Bowden, in regards to leading a nothing football team to continual national prominence. Notre Dame's problem has been incredibly unrealistic expectations. They basically won't allow you to rebuild, even if you are coming with a different system from your predecessor.
          But that's assuming that he would get "that chance" sometime in the future, because Cincy just isn't one of those schools with the strong Football Tradition. He had a perfect season, and got very little respect Right now, that option isn't available to him, but the ND job is. Kelly is at his peak right now, his stock is pretty high, and who's to say it still will be when one of those other jobs do become available.

Yeah, Notre Dame has incredibily unrealistic expections. But it was his "dream job". And even if he can't deliver what Notre Dame wants, he can probably deliver a much improved team. So while ND may hold it against him if he doesn't win a national championship every few years, if he can produce a quality team and regularly have winning seasons, it won't hurt his resume.

Everybody says he should wait for a better job... but that job isn't available today, and may not be in the future. Why should he pass up his Dream Job... just because some people are assuming he's going to fail?

I don't know many people that go into a job thinking they are going to fail. Again, if you put yourself in his position, this is a dream come true, and a step in the right direction on a career basis.
          Keep on Civin'

Comment

• What you do mean get "that chance"? He's already made his chance with Cincy. Bowden and Paterno didn't take over schools with strong football traditions. They made them into those schools from the ground up.

It is something I think that will happen with Greg Schiano at Rutgers if he stays like it seems he will (telling Michigan no was pretty huge).

Comment

• Yeah... a "real" chance at Cincy...
              That's not a chance. The Big East is the step child of the BCS. He produced a perfect season, and didn't get much respect at all. His practice facilities suck... His pay sucked compared to what he could be making... Reruiting, he currently pretty much plays second fiddle to other schools in the midwest. Yeah, sounds like a real chance to me. Maybe if he stuck it out... continued to beg for real facilities... continued to have some success, maybe in a few years, he might get there, and maybe not.

Right NOW, when his stock is high, he gets offered a great job at the school he always dreamed about coaching... compare that to "maybe" turning Cincy around... you make the call. IF he succeeds at ND, he will be bigger than just a successful coach at a Big East school.
              Keep on Civin'

Comment

• I'm sure that it will shock Imran to learn that being a Bowden or a Paterno is not really an attractive goal for some when compared against being in the league of Rockne, Leahy, and Parseghian.
                I came upon a barroom full of bad Salon pictures in which men with hats on the backs of their heads were wolfing food from a counter. It was the institution of the "free lunch" I had struck. You paid for a drink and got as much as you wanted to eat. For something less than a rupee a day a man can feed himself sumptuously in San Francisco, even though he be a bankrupt. Remember this if ever you are stranded in these parts. ~ Rudyard Kipling, 1891

Comment

• Also, Bowden and Paterno both had something to offer recruits... Bowden could offer the warm Florida lifesytle, Paterno could offer a well respected education... Now, take a second look at Cincy
                  Keep on Civin'

Comment

• Originally posted by DanS View Post
                    I'm sure that it will shock Imran to learn that being a Bowden or a Paterno is not really an attractive goal for some when compared against being in the league of Rockne, Leahy, and Parseghian.

You need to stop living so far in the past...

You mean like Lou Holtz? Who is more revered? Paterno. Bowden. Or Holtz?

Hell, Paterno and Bowden will probably be more revered than Leahy and Parseghian (Rockne is in another class... with Bear Bryant).

Comment

• Originally posted by Ming View Post
                      Also, Bowden and Paterno both had something to offer recruits... Bowden could offer the warm Florida lifesytle, Paterno could offer a well respected education... Now, take a second look at Cincy
                      You could have had the warm Florida lifestyle in Gainesville or Coral Gables... and a well respected education at Ann Arbor or Northwestern... and if you think Cincy is in a bad location, then you've never been to Happy Valley (which is in the middle of NO WHERE).

Comment

• You guys mentioning Bear Bryant are funny. He doesn't hold a candle to Leahy, let alone Rockne. Learn your history.
                        I came upon a barroom full of bad Salon pictures in which men with hats on the backs of their heads were wolfing food from a counter. It was the institution of the "free lunch" I had struck. You paid for a drink and got as much as you wanted to eat. For something less than a rupee a day a man can feed himself sumptuously in San Francisco, even though he be a bankrupt. Remember this if ever you are stranded in these parts. ~ Rudyard Kipling, 1891

Comment

• Ok now we KNOW you are completely delusional. Bear Bryant is the most revered coach in college football. Rockne is the only one who comes close and Leahy is very far behind.

Comment

• Leahy had 7 undefeated seasons out of only 13 seasons. 'Nuff said.

Comment

• Dude, just stop now before you make an even bigger fool out of yourself.

Comment

• Originally posted by Imran Siddiqui View Post
                                You could have had the warm Florida lifestyle in Gainesville or Coral Gables... and a well respected education at Ann Arbor or Northwestern... and if you think Cincy is in a bad location, then you've never been to Happy Valley (which is in the middle of NO WHERE).
                                Yeah, Happy Valley is a bad location... but it can offer an education. And while there are other places to go for the warm Florida lifestyle, Cincy can't offer that, or a top education. Cincy is recruiting with one hand tied behind it's back... no tradition, no top education, no lifestyle, limited facilities, and a school still fighting for respect. ND offers a great tradition, a top education, excellent facilities, and it's own TV network
                                Keep on Civin'

Comment

Working...
                                X