Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

College Football '10 - Conference switching chaos!!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Guynemer View Post
    Ming:

I rarely, if ever, agree with Drake on anything, at least in sports and politics. However, we tend to be very civil with each other. Dunno why you can't, whether it has something to do with your history or what. I'd say, just be the bigger man, and let bygones be bygones.
    I would love to be civil with him... but he simply can't be civil with me or about half the other members of this forum. I rarely start anything... but frankly, when some ass starts throwing down crap, and doesn't ever get warned about it, I'm not just going to stand there and let him do it.

Again, anybody with half a brain can look through this thread and see that in EVERY case, he's the one that starts it.
    Keep on Civin'
    RIP rah, Tony Bogey & Baron O

Comment

So, why even bother then?

Why not just break off the MWC, WAC, MAC, C-USA, and Sun Belt into Division 1.5-A, and end the charade?
      That's likely not a bad idea. The problem with college football today is that it's become so utterly and completely large. Maybe take the best of the MWC and WAC (into a 12 team conference) and make them a 6th BCS Conference and send the rest down - that would make 65ish teams in the top tier and that's far more managable.
      “I give you a new commandment, that you love one another. Just as I have loved you, you also should love one another. By this everyone will know that you are my disciples, if you have love for one another.”
      - John 13:34-35 (NRSV)

Comment

So, why even bother then?

Why not just break off the MWC, WAC, MAC, C-USA, and Sun Belt into Division 1.5-A, and end the charade?
        It is really a charade... but that's what happens when you let outsiders determine the participants in the biggest bowls. The NCAA thinks they are all equal, based on them being in the same division, but they will never be equal until the NCAA takes charge of its own sport. In no other sport or division does the NCAA allow this kind of stuff.
        Keep on Civin'

Comment

• That's probably also partially the reason it's the best and most popular NCAA sport...
          “I give you a new commandment, that you love one another. Just as I have loved you, you also should love one another. By this everyone will know that you are my disciples, if you have love for one another.”

Comment

• So your dream MWC/WAC hybrid would be...?

BSU, BYU, TCU, Utah would be obvious. Fresno and Air Force, certainly. Probably Nevada. We've hit seven; beyond this, pickings are slim. Maybe UNLV for its basketball history. Wyoming, for their ugly-ass uniforms? Hawai'i, 'cuz they're ****ing cool? Utah State, for their decent basketball program? That'd probably make the most sense.
            "My nation is the world, and my religion is to do good." --Thomas Paine
            "The subject of onanism is inexhaustable." --Sigmund Freud

Comment

• It would be quite simple, actually, the MWC invites Boise State, Fresno State, and Nevada. Something which has been rumored in the past. It'd be the simplest way to go, IMO.

Comment

• Originally posted by Imran Siddiqui View Post
                That's probably also partially the reason it's the best and most popular NCAA sport...
                Probably more as in "in spite of it"
                College Football is a great sport and enjoys much support. Even the BCS can't change that
                Couldn't it be better if the NCAA itself hosted (and selected) a 4 team championship tournament at the end of the year. Sure, no matter how many teams you select, somebody would complain (just look at the March Madness as proof of that) but years like this (and most other years) prove that selecting just 2 teams isn't good enough.
                Keep on Civin'

Comment

• Couldn't it be better if the NCAA itself hosted (and selected) a 4 team championship tournament at the end of the year.
                  No.

Comment

• And why not... you could still use the current bowl system... and we are simply talking about just two teams playing "an extra" game. The BCS has proved year after year that it doesn't really work. The BCS is rigged against a non BCS conference team having a chance at the title. The BCS is all about the BCS conferences. That's contrary to the NCAA, which see's them all as Division IA schools. A four team playoff would increase the odds of ANY team in Division IA having a shot at the title. And it would not make (as some suggest) for a playoff system where undeserving teams get in. Let the champion prove it on the field, instead of letting a bunch of undefeated teams sit on the side lines. Sure, there are 5 undefeated teams this year, but that hasn't happened in a long time.

Again, it's time for the NCAA to take back control of their own game.
                    Keep on Civin'

Comment

• I want to go back to traditional bowl games with ONE BCS game, a #1 vs. #2 - what the BCS was really created to do (even that isn't all that important to me, though).

And as I've indicated like 2 posts above yours, I'd rather see the non-BCS conferences (except for a bigger MWC) be sent down.

Comment

• Originally posted by Ming View Post
                        And if you would take your head out of your ass, you would see that in EVERY case, he's the one that starts it.
                        God, I thought you had kids.
                        I came upon a barroom full of bad Salon pictures in which men with hats on the backs of their heads were wolfing food from a counter. It was the institution of the "free lunch" I had struck. You paid for a drink and got as much as you wanted to eat. For something less than a rupee a day a man can feed himself sumptuously in San Francisco, even though he be a bankrupt. Remember this if ever you are stranded in these parts. ~ Rudyard Kipling, 1891

Comment

• Originally posted by Imran Siddiqui View Post
                          That's probably also partially the reason it's the best and most popular NCAA sport...
                          Not a chance, it was the most popular NCAA sport before the BCS.

But there is also a reason that March Madness is wildly popular.

It crowns a champion and it gives the little guys a shot at the big boys.

ACK!
                          Don't try to confuse the issue with half-truths and gorilla dust!

Comment

• He could ground his kids.
                            Life is not measured by the number of breaths you take, but by the moments that take your breath away.
                            "Hating America is something best left to Mobius. He is an expert Yank hater.
                            He also hates Texans and Australians, he does diversify." ~ Braindead

Comment

• And why should they be sent down? Just because they aren't members of the Club? A Club not run by the NCAA.
                              It's obvious that these non BCS conferences can produce exceptional teams. And we will never really know just how good they are because the BCS (Big Conferences) have a monopoly and have rigged the deck against them.

While you may be a big supporter of one of the big conferences, there are many supporters of the "other" conferences that don't think they should be treated like second class citizens.

The BCS shouldn't be able to dictate things to the NCAA. You are suggesting that the Big Conferences have the power to diss the conferences not in their little club, or even the ability to make sure they can never join their little club. It should be up to the NCAA, and the NCAA alone to make those kind of decisions.
                              Keep on Civin'

Comment

• Why are I-AA teams "down". Because they aren't members of the club. Next.

Comment

Working...
                                X