Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

College Football '10 - Conference switching chaos!!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Drake Tungsten View Post
    My personal preference is for new conferences modelled on the european soccer leagues. Successfull teams move up to better conferences while unsuccessful teams move down.

I've argued for a relegation system for years as the simplest way to remedy the unfairness between the BCS conferences and the mid-majors. It would work great, but it will unfortunately never happen.
    The BCS conferences themselves do have some form of promotion and relegation at 5-year intervals, however.
    I came upon a barroom full of bad Salon pictures in which men with hats on the backs of their heads were wolfing food from a counter. It was the institution of the "free lunch" I had struck. You paid for a drink and got as much as you wanted to eat. For something less than a rupee a day a man can feed himself sumptuously in San Francisco, even though he be a bankrupt. Remember this if ever you are stranded in these parts. ~ Rudyard Kipling, 1891

Comment

Ming wants to destroy the bowl system (hurting numerous local communities and charities in the process) and turn college football's postseason into a big business like the NFL because it would be greedy not to!

As always, you just make **** up... pretty typical of something you would see in grade school.

And remember, you are still the ultimate when it comes to greed, claiming that TCU wasn't screwed because they were going to get a Big Pay Day... what a ****...
      Keep on Civin'
      RIP rah, Tony Bogey & Baron O

Comment

• The BCS conferences themselves do have some form of promotion and relegation at 5-year intervals, however.

It's kind of dumb to relegate or promote entire conferences, though. Should TCU get promoted with the rest of the Mountain West while Boise stays stuck in a non-BCS WAC? It makes much more sense to let Boise take Washington State's spot in the Pac-10 or TCU move into Baylor's Big 12 spot.
        KH FOR OWNER!
        ASHER FOR CEO!!
        GUYNEMER FOR OT MOD!!!

Comment

• As always, you just make **** up... pretty typical of something you would see in grade school.

What did I make up, Ming? Come on, use your extensive knowledge of college football to prove to everyone that I'm wrong.
          KH FOR OWNER!
          ASHER FOR CEO!!
          GUYNEMER FOR OT MOD!!!

Comment

• Let's be honest. The closest thing to a true championship in a sport with over 100 participants is conference titles and that's because every team gets to play the vast majority of its conference opponents. Everything else (bowls, playoffs, etc) are just a crapshoot.
            “I give you a new commandment, that you love one another. Just as I have loved you, you also should love one another. By this everyone will know that you are my disciples, if you have love for one another.”
            - John 13:34-35 (NRSV)

Comment

• Let's be honest. The closest thing to a true championship in a sport with over 100 participants is conference titles and that's because every team gets to play the vast majority of its conference opponents. Everything else (bowls, playoffs, etc) are just a crapshoot.

QFT
              KH FOR OWNER!
              ASHER FOR CEO!!
              GUYNEMER FOR OT MOD!!!

Comment

What did I make up, Ming? Come on, use your extensive knowledge of college football to prove to everyone that I'm wrong.
                Please point out where I say I want to get rid of the Bowl System. I do want to get outsiders out of the NCAA's Business... but have never said there shouldn't be bowl games. I just don't like a bunch of old guys not directly involved with the sport making the decisions, and limiting it only two the best two teams, even if there are more with a realistic claim. So yeah, you made it up you moron.

And with all your "extensive knowledge" of the game, you still want to support a system that even you think is... "it's chaotic and unfair and downright puzzling at times" What a ****. And it's not like it's always been that way. The BCS doesn't go back to the beginnings of College Football. It was just a system put in place to insure the continued domination of the Big Bowl Games. The system is broken, and needs to be fixed.
                Keep on Civin'

Comment

• Originally posted by Ming
                  And it's not like it's always been that way.
                  Yes, it has. Any real college football fan would know that.

Originally posted by Ming
                  Please point out where I say I want to get rid of the Bowl System.
                  Originally posted by Ming
                  The only reason why college football doesn't have a playoff, like every other NCAA sport AND every other level of college football, is the greed of the Bowl System. The NCAA is allowing outsiders to determine their winner. It's all about money, not what's best for the sport.

But go ahead and feel free to support a system that should have been eliminated a long time ago...
                  Your move, ****.
                  KH FOR OWNER!
                  ASHER FOR CEO!!
                  GUYNEMER FOR OT MOD!!!

Comment

• Well, KH disciple, the quoted comments don't work against each other. It reads to me that the problem isn't Bowls, it's the methodology used for arranging the Bowls.
                    I agree.
                    Life is not measured by the number of breaths you take, but by the moments that take your breath away.
                    "Hating America is something best left to Mobius. He is an expert Yank hater.
                    He also hates Texans and Australians, he does diversify." ~ Braindead

Comment

Yes, it has. Any real college football fan would know that.
                      Uhhhh... what year was the BCS system put into play? Do you remember that there was a time BEFORE the BCS? Don't you remember the time when the Bowl games were tied to conferences, and that there was no such thing as a championship game... just the polls. Gee, any real college football fan would know that, why don't you?

And gee, where do I actually say that all the bowl games need to be eliminated... You still haven't found that quote yet, because you never will. I do admit to saying the BCS system needs to be eliminated. I've NEVER said that the bowl games should be eliminated. So keep looking you ****... good luck.
                      Keep on Civin'

Comment

• Do you remember that there was a time BEFORE the BCS?

Yes, I do. It was "chaotic and unfair and downright puzzling at times", which is how college football has always been. You'd know that if you were a real fan.

And gee, where do I actually say that all the bowl games need to be eliminated...

You clearly said that the "bowl system" needs to be eliminated, you goddamn liar.
                        KH FOR OWNER!
                        ASHER FOR CEO!!
                        GUYNEMER FOR OT MOD!!!

Comment

• The big reason the major conferences don't want a playoff is that it would eliminate the automatic bid. For example, had Nebraska beat Texas, they received an automatic bid to a major BCS bowl, however, in a playoff system with a similar result, it's doubtful Nebraska would have received a very high seed, nor done very well.

Georgia Tech would be in a similar situation. In this case they get to play in a BCS bowl; in a playoff system, they'd be seeded near the bottom and probably a first round elimination against a top 4 seed.

That's my opinion, anyway.
                          Follow me on Twitter: http://twitter.com/DaveDaDouche
                          Read my seldom updated blog where I talk to myself: http://davedadouche.blogspot.com/

Comment

Do you remember that there was a time BEFORE the BCS?

Yes, I do. It was "chaotic and unfair and downright puzzling at times", which is how college football has always been. You'd know that if you were a real fan.

And gee, where do I actually say that all the bowl games need to be eliminated...

You clearly said that the "bowl system" needs to be eliminated, you goddamn liar.
                            I CLEARLY DON'T SEE IT, LIAR.
                            Life is not measured by the number of breaths you take, but by the moments that take your breath away.
                            "Hating America is something best left to Mobius. He is an expert Yank hater.
                            He also hates Texans and Australians, he does diversify." ~ Braindead

Comment

• I CLEARLY DON'T SEE IT, LIAR.

AND YOU CLEARLY CAN'T READ, IDIOT.
                              KH FOR OWNER!
                              ASHER FOR CEO!!
                              GUYNEMER FOR OT MOD!!!

Comment

You were the moron that said things have always been that way... even though the BCS was one of the biggest changes in College Football... taking potential national champs out of their traditional bowl games... Breaking the longest TRADITION in college football... You'd know that if you were a real fan instead of thinking that since it has always sucked, that there is no difference or change.

Yep... the BCS system needs to be eliminated, never did I say ELIMINATE THE BOWLS... Being such a big fan of College Sports, can't you even tell the difference between all the bowl games and the BCS system for picking teams? I would have expected more from the self proclaimed expert...
                                Keep on Civin'

Comment

Working...
                                X