Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

College Football '10 - Conference switching chaos!!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by SpencerH View Post
    Until they play a tougher schedule, who cares if they are undefeated. They dont even deserve a BCS bowl game IMO.
    Tell that to Utah last season... They got a chance in the Sugar Bowl and the betting public agreed with you by making them 9 point dogs to Alabama. They then went on to beat them 31 - 17.

You never know until they play the game... So yeah, undefeated teams deserve BCS bowl games.
    Keep on Civin'
    RIP rah, Tony Bogey & Baron O

Comment

• I don't believe that either TCU or Boise State deserve a shot at the national championship. Sagarin has their strengths of schedule at 84th and 98th respectively. Cincy is a more marginal case. Sagarin SOS of 63rd. If any of these teams wish, they can increase their strengths of schedule rather easily, even on pretty short notice.

It seems to me that this year's outcome is just. We will have a true national champion.
      I came upon a barroom full of bad Salon pictures in which men with hats on the backs of their heads were wolfing food from a counter. It was the institution of the "free lunch" I had struck. You paid for a drink and got as much as you wanted to eat. For something less than a rupee a day a man can feed himself sumptuously in San Francisco, even though he be a bankrupt. Remember this if ever you are stranded in these parts. ~ Rudyard Kipling, 1891

Comment

• Yet another rating service and you agree. Well, I guess that ends it.
        Life is not measured by the number of breaths you take, but by the moments that take your breath away.
        "Hating America is something best left to Mobius. He is an expert Yank hater.
        He also hates Texans and Australians, he does diversify." ~ Braindead

Comment

• This was in response to rah's claim that SOS is subjective. There is indeed a time-of-year problem though.
          I came upon a barroom full of bad Salon pictures in which men with hats on the backs of their heads were wolfing food from a counter. It was the institution of the "free lunch" I had struck. You paid for a drink and got as much as you wanted to eat. For something less than a rupee a day a man can feed himself sumptuously in San Francisco, even though he be a bankrupt. Remember this if ever you are stranded in these parts. ~ Rudyard Kipling, 1891

Comment

• By scheduling Boise and TCU to play each other, Florida gets another chance to raise it's little head. If you want to talk SOS, let's talk about Arkansas pushing Florida around.
            Of course we know what happened in that game. Florida's babysitters took care of it.
            Life is not measured by the number of breaths you take, but by the moments that take your breath away.

Comment

• Florida's babysitters?

Comment

• The referees.

Comment

• Originally posted by DanS View Post
                  If any of these teams wish, they can increase their strengths of schedule rather easily, even on pretty short notice.
                  It's not as easy as you suggest. Plus, many of the major conference teams have very little interest in scheduling a non conference game that they are in risk of losing.

It seems to me that this year's outcome is just. We will have a true national champion.
                  Yeah... maybe 3 undefeated teams when it's all over... not what I would call a true national champion and I'm sure many people would agree.
                  Keep on Civin'

Comment

• With protest, I suppose I'll cheer for Cincinnati in their game. If they win, the TCU/Boise winner gets the shaft, I'm sure. Oh, well.

Comment

• Originally posted by Ming View Post
                      It's not as easy as you suggest. Plus, many of the major conference teams have very little interest in scheduling a non conference game that they are in risk of losing.
                      It's a big country. There are lots of potential competitors. If Boise State and TCU want to increase their SOS, they could have unbalanced schedules -- i.e., travel more than they play at home. ND did this in the 1910s.

Comment

It's a big country. There are lots of potential competitors. If Boise State and TCU want to increase their SOS, they could have unbalanced schedules -- i.e., travel more than they play at home.
                        Yeah, and it's a small club for the big conferences... And your suggestion that they should have to do what the others don't have to do (travel more) pretty much sums up how unfair what you are suggesting is. It's just not as easy as you are trying to make it out to be.
                        Keep on Civin'

Comment

• Originally posted by SlowwHand View Post
                          I can tell you a step that could be taken that would go a long way towards solving this mess. Most here won't agree, but, that's OK.

Mountain West is viewed by many as minor league. Attach them to Big 12.
                          WAC is viewed similarly. Attach them to PAC 10.

In MWC, TCU was ranked higher than Nebraska. If "in a rare instance" a MWC team is rated higher, they play Texas instead.

WAC, ditto. PAC 10 is going to have to split like Big 12.
                          The same would be done around the country to each major conference.

TCU vs. Texas
                          Boise vs. Oregon

What's wrong with this?

Comment

• I cross-edited you. Fact is, ND had to have an unbalanced schedule in the early days. That's how ND made a name for itself.

The way I look at it, TCU and Boise State are putting pressure on the BCS systems in order to make their bad strategies good in obtaining a national championship. A playoff system would only validate those bad strategies.

Comment

A playoff system would only validate those bad strategies.
                              No... a playoff system would give everybody an equal chance to prove they are number one.

It's interesting that the NCAA, the governing body of college football, considers them all in the same division, and it's only a bunch of outsiders that consider them second class citizens and gets the final say on who gets invited to the big dance. No other sport would allow this kind of outsider interference... It just shows how ****ed up the system is.
                              Keep on Civin'

Comment

• Originally posted by Ming View Post
                                No... a playoff system would give everybody an equal chance to prove they are number one.

Unless you're including every school, it wouldn't. There will be teams on the outside looking in.

It's interesting that the NCAA, the governing body of college football, considers them all in the same division, and it's only a bunch of outsiders that consider them second class citizens and gets the final say on who gets invited to the big dance. No other sport would allow this kind of outsider interference... It just shows how ****ed up the system is.

Was it ever the point of college football to have a national champion? If this has any validity, then it seems it's always been bestowed externally.
                                Those who would give up Essential Liberty to purchase a little Temporary Safety, deserve neither Liberty nor Safety. - Ben Franklin
                                Iain Banks missed deadline due to Civ | The eyes are the groin of the head. - Dwight Schrute.
                                One more turn .... One more turn .... | WWTSD

Comment

Working...
                                X