Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

College Football '10 - Conference switching chaos!!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Imran Siddiqui View Post
    I'm fighting it because its a dumb reason not to join a conference. Plenty of other schools are national in outlook (maybe not to the extent that ND is because Indiana sucks for high school football) while in conferences.
    As an independent they can schedule whoever they'd like. Tell me another team that will be playing in Chestnut Hill, Los Angeles, East Rutherford, the Bronx, and East Lansing this year. Certainly not anyone in the Big 10.

Plus the whole NBC vs Big 10 television thing. No Big 10 network where I live, but I can watch ND whenever I want. Why lose the national exposure for some money? It's not like they're hurting for cash. If they keep the NBC contract, then what does the Big 10 get? A cut of the money ND already gets? If they go on the Big 10 network what does NBC get?
    Pool Manager - Lombardi Handicappers League - An NFL Pick 'Em Pool

https://youtu.be/HLNhPMQnWu4

Comment

• Originally posted by ColdWizard View Post
      If they go on the Big 10 network what does NBC get?
      Um... $13 million more (at least) a year, as stated earlier in the thread.
      “I give you a new commandment, that you love one another. Just as I have loved you, you also should love one another. By this everyone will know that you are my disciples, if you have love for one another.”
      - John 13:34-35 (NRSV)

Comment

• Originally Posted by ColdWizard
        If they go on the Big 10 network what does NBC get?
        Originally Posted by Imran
        Um... $13 million more (at least) a year, as stated earlier in the thread.
        He asked what NBC got not... not ND

Currently right now, ND is in the top ranks when it comes to revenue, and they are doing that with probably one of the lowest TV deals compared to the major conferences.
        Forbes magazine ranks them in the top when it come to Football "profit"... so overall, they aren't hurting.

And the NBC contract, while less in dollars, does give them national coverage, and the ability to keep their Alum happy... you know, the guys that contribute big bucks to the university when they are happy. And it's a big plus for recruiting... which is something they need since they aren't as dependent on the local area like most universities are.

There are a lot of factors you have to look at besides the absolute dollars from TV revenue. But it seems some people want to ignore some important elements here.
        Keep on Civin'
        RIP rah, Tony Bogey & Baron O

Comment

• Ooops. I misread that. NBC would get some level of liquidated damages, and that is something that probably could be negotiated (in terms of Big 10 teams paying most, if not all, of the damages amount).
          “I give you a new commandment, that you love one another. Just as I have loved you, you also should love one another. By this everyone will know that you are my disciples, if you have love for one another.”

Comment

• Originally posted by Ming View Post
            There are a lot of factors you have to look at besides the absolute dollars from TV revenue. But it seems some people want to ignore some important elements here.
            For years I thought Notre Dame should have been in a conference. Drake and Imran have convinced me otherwise

Originally posted by Imran Siddiqui View Post
            Ooops. I misread that. NBC would get some level of liquidated damages, and that is something that probably could be negotiated (in terms of Big 10 teams paying most, if not all, of the damages amount).
            NBC's sports coverage is already craptacular. Losing ND games, which are trending up these past couple years according to Street & Smith's, would leave them with Sunday Night Football and the NHL as major broadcasts. Unless you like golf, tennis, or horse racing.
            Last edited by ColdWizard; March 11, 2010, 16:58.

Comment

• Why are we caring about NBC? Liquidated damages ain't going to change because the rest of their sports package suck.

Comment

Ooops. I misread that. NBC would get some level of liquidated damages, and that is something that probably could be negotiated (in terms of Big 10 teams paying most, if not all, of the damages amount).
                Originally posted by Imran Siddiqui View Post
                Why are we caring about NBC? Liquidated damages ain't going to change because the rest of their sports package suck.
                They need to negotiate but damages won't change? Is it only who pays NBC that is negotiated?

But yeah, who cares? Besides anyone who wants to watch a Notre Dame home game without paying for the Big 10 Network. And besides anyone who is outside the 73 million households the Big 10 Network claims to be available to.

But yeah, **** NBC. How about the independent scheduling point and how people can see ND in LA or NY this season?

Comment

• You seem to think college football is somehow something more than $$$.

And yes, the negotiations are for who pays the liquidated damages. The contract most likely has a liquidated damages clause in it, which determines the payment.

Comment

• A move to basic would mean more money for the Big 10 Network.

No, it wouldn't. The Big Ten already makes as much from cable subscribers in Big Ten country as it's ever going to make.

You don't lose nation wide recruiting when you are in a conference.

Exactly. Nebraska is in pretty much the same recruiting situation as Notre Dame and has been able to recruit nationally from within a conference for decades.
                    KH FOR OWNER!
                    ASHER FOR CEO!!
                    GUYNEMER FOR OT MOD!!!

Comment

• NBC + ND =

Comment

You seem to think college football is somehow something more than $$$.
                        Forbes pointed out that, unlike its peers, Notre Dame does not maximize its revenue generating potential through in-stadium advertising (on large video screens or signage) or the sale of luxury suites.

Comment

• Originally posted by Drake Tungsten View Post
                          Exactly. Nebraska is in pretty much the same recruiting situation as Notre Dame and has been able to recruit nationally from within a conference for decades.
                          One school has 121 signed recruits, including JUCOs and transfers from 2006 to 2010 from 21* different states. The other has 109 signed recruits from the same years from 30 different states. 71** of the first schools recruits come from its three most recruited states. 35 of the second school's recruits come from its three most recruited states. Pretty much the same...

*Counting the JUCOs/Transfers as being from their hometowns. 20 if you count the states they are transferring from.

**72 if you count the states the JUCOs/Transfers are coming from rather than their hometowns.

If the JUCOs/Transfers are left out, then it drops to 19 states and 100 recruits, with 62 from the three most recruited states.

Comment

• Urban Meyer back to work Good video at the link
                            GAINESVILLE, Fla. -- With a stern look and some finger-pointing, Florida coach Urban Meyer had harsh words for a reporter following spring practice Wednesday.

Meyer, speaking for the first time in a week, confronted an Orlando Sentinel reporter and defended receiver Deonte Thompson.

It was unclear why Meyer took issue with the Sentinel's story.

Reporter Jeremy Fowler quoted Thompson as referring to John Brantley as "a real quarterback," in comparison to Tim Tebow.

The exchange was caught on video, captured by a photographer and witnessed by a dozen or more people -- including several fans leaving spring practice.

"You'll be out of practice -- you understand that? -- if you do that again," Meyer told the reporter. "I told you five years ago: Don't mess with our players. Don't do it. You did it. You do it one more time and the Orlando Sentinel's not welcome here ever again. Is that clear? It's yes or no."

Meyer was reacting to a story posted on the Sentinel's Web site following Monday's practice. Thompson was asked what the biggest difference was between Tebow and Brantley.

"You never know with Tim," Thompson said. "He can bolt. You'll think he's running, but then he'll just come up and pass it to you. You just have to be ready at all times. With Brantley, everything's with rhythm, time. Like, you know what I mean, a real quarterback."

Thompson was embarrassed by the remark and the attention it got, mostly because he likes Tebow and never wanted to say anything negative about him.

Meyer, who has praised Thompson for being a good student, a hard worker and a player who has not gotten into any trouble, eventually got word of Thompson's distress and relayed his concern to school officials. The school responded by canceling post-practice interviews Wednesday.

But as reporters were hanging around following the session, Meyer walked over to the group and began the exchange with Fowler.

"You're a bad guy, man. You're a bad guy," Meyer said. "If that was my son, we'd be going at it right now."

Meyer turned and walked away, then met his daughter on the practice field and pointed back at the reporter. He also avoided reporters by leaving through another exit.

Team spokesman Steve McClain declined comment.
                            Here is what Meyer is objecting about:
                            Junior Deonte Thompson knows his first two years in the Florida offense haven’t lived up to his promise as one of the country’s top prep receivers out of Belle Glade.

So excuse Thompson’s optimism, especially with a new pass-happy quarterback.

“Lot of things didn’t go the way as planned,” Thompson said. “Things are going to get better here in the future. Any receiver would be happy. You have a guy like (John) Brantley throwing the ball, spreading it around to everybody.”

For all Tim Tebow’s accomplishments, he didn’t exactly spread the ball around during his final year in Gainesville. And no receiver suffered more than Thompson, who finished the year with 24 catches for 343 yards and four touchdowns.

Senior wide receiver Riley Cooper and tight end Aaron Hernandez accounted for 119 of last year’s 249 available receptions, leaving 11 offensive playmakers to fend for the other 130.

When asked if he was under utilized, Thompson thought for a second before saying “I wouldn’t say that.”

New quarterback John Brantley is what Thompson calls a “pure passer,” which makes him happy. The two have connected on thousands of passes the last three years in practice, Thompson said.

“You never know with Tim,” Thompson said. “You can bolt, you think he’s running but he’ll come up and pass it to you. You just have to be ready at all times. With Brantley, everything’s with rhythm, time. You know what I mean, a real quarterback.”

Thompson’s comment was either intentional or he meant to say Brantley’s a more conventional style of quarterback.

I’ve received plenty of feedback Tuesday from Thompson supporters vouching for the guy. I’ve interviewed Thompson numerous times in the past and he never said anything inflammatory.

Either way, Thompson’s ready to be the top receiver for Florida.

“I’ve been ready,” Thompson said. “Somebody’s got to. Why not me, right?…It feels like a fresh start.”

The only way to capitalize on a fresh start is through grunt work, and new wide receivers coach Zach Azzanni likes what he sees of Thompson so far.

“He knows he hasn’t lived up to the billing,” Azzanni said. “That’s what’s great about him. He’s humbled. He’s let his guard down. Coach, coach me. I want to catch all the balls I might not have caught in the fall. I want to run better routes. What do I need to do?”

OTHER GATORS NEWS FROM MONDAY’S PRACTICE:

INJURIES: CB Josh Evans (leg or knee) was not at practice. TE Desmond Parks (left wrist) and OG Kyle Koehne (disolcated right shoulder) sat out. Koehne is expected to miss 3-6 weeks.

LT Matt Patchan (knee) and RB Chris Rainey (hamstring) did not participate in contact drills.

*Without Spikes and Stamper, this year’s LBs crew must rely on speed. Brandon Hicks says his unit can “run anybody down sideline to sideline.”

*LBs coach D.J. Durkin is spearheading most of the special teams coverage while Urban Meyer oversees the action. CB Janoris Jenkins was taking plenty of punts and kickoffs.

*RB Mike Gillislee is one tough sophomore. Almost ripped a head off on way in for 4-yard TD.

*T.J. Pridemore and Neiron Ball got into a scuffle after an end-zone pileup. Pridemore got a bloody nose.

Comment

• Pretty much the same...

I agree.

One school has 121 signed recruits, including JUCOs and transfers from 2006 to 2010 from 21* different states. The other has 109 signed recruits from the same years from 30 different states. 71** of the first schools recruits come from its three most recruited states. 35 of the second school's recruits come from its three most recruited states.

I have no idea which school is which or why you think recruiting from 30 states is "national" while recruiting from 21 states isn't. I would also bring up the fact that using numbers from only one time period isn't an accurate way to judge a school's recruiting tactics, but we both know that's above your pay grade.
                              KH FOR OWNER!
                              ASHER FOR CEO!!
                              GUYNEMER FOR OT MOD!!!

Comment

• Where as your pay grade involves numbers from... oh wait, you're too knowledgeable to waste your time to back up anything you say.

Comment

Working...
                                X