NHL Auction league--Sign-up and discussion

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• NHL Auction league--Sign-up and discussion

Last year an auction league arose partway through the planning for the yearly draft league. Personally I really enjoyed the auction and hope to do it again. I just thought it would be better if the auction league had its own thread so we can get it set up.

I propose no changes from last year except we go with only 8 categoies instead of the accidental 9 from last year. Those of course are G,A,+/-, PPG,PPA, Sv%, Wins and Shutouts.

I also propose we do the live auction using the very good ESPN auction tool (other than connection issues for ONE manager, it worked great) and then transfer the teams as selected over to yahoo.

last year our auction was on Sept 14-- I know for me Sundays are best as I have limited access at work. I would propose Sunday Sept 20 as the day for the auction but have generally decent availability most weekends in September.

So if you are interested please sign in and indicate any preferences regarding a date and time or any rules or issues you want to discuss
    You don't get to 300 losses without being a pretty exceptional goaltender.-- Ben Kenobi speaking of Roberto Luongo

Sign me up
    "The issue is there are still many people out there that use religion as a crutch for bigotry and hate. Like Ben."
    Ben Kenobi: "That means I'm doing something right. "

Comment

I'll join (and run it if desired)

We could always run it from ESPN entirely, we don't necessarily need it to be hosted at Yahoo...

Sun Sep. 20 is fine, does that give us a week or two before the season?
      <Reverend> IRC is just multiplayer notepad.
      I like your SNOOPY POSTER! - While you Wait quote.

Comment

Originally posted by snoopy369 View Post
        I'll join (and run it if desired)

Good-- I hoped you would but didn't want to volunteer you

We could always run it from ESPN entirely, we don't necessarily need it to be hosted at Yahoo...
        I prefer to have the league actually run at yahoo. It works well and its kinda nice to have just one manager profile that would encompass all my poly leagues. I can help with importing the information over if that would help

Sun Sep. 20 is fine, does that give us a week or two before the season?
        yes it gives something like 9-10 days IIRC. I figured it would be close enough to season start but far enough away to have time to do the admin stuff
        You don't get to 300 losses without being a pretty exceptional goaltender.-- Ben Kenobi speaking of Roberto Luongo

Comment

I more meant in case of a problem having to reschedule the draft... One week earlier would be slightly better, I think, but that will probably work.

Comment

I'll join again. My only suggestion would be to drop PPG and PPA, as they are redundant. That would leave 3 and 3 stats, which would have to be changed. Either drop shutouts, or add one or two different skater stats. Shootout goals? Penalty minutes (being a negative)?
            "My nation is the world, and my religion is to do good." --Thomas Paine
            "The subject of onanism is inexhaustable." --Sigmund Freud

Comment

How are PPG/PPA redundant?

Comment

We already have goals and assists.

Comment

Yes, but PPG/PPA are power play goals and assists

If I recall correctly, the major reason to include them is to give some defensemen a more significant role (ie, Lidstrom); highly talented defensemen score a large number of them (PPA in particular).

Comment

Highly talented defensemen score a large number of assists, period. Total goals and assists will reflect that just as well.

Comment

I'm in (my problems from last year should now be resolved, knock on wood). I'm pretty flexible on dates, and would favor using the same categories as last year less one goalie stat.

As for PPG/PPA, I don't think they're entirely redundant. I know I always consider who gets how much PP time and what PP units they play on when I draft, and from my research in past years I've found that there can be significant differences in PPG to total goals and PPA to total assists ratios among players.
                      "The French caused the war [Persian Gulf war, 1991]" - Ned
                      "you people who bash Bush have no appreciation for one of the great presidents in our history." - Ned
                      "I wish I had gay sex in the boy scouts" - Dissident

Comment

Originally posted by Kontiki View Post

As for PPG/PPA, I don't think they're entirely redundant. I know I always consider who gets how much PP time and what PP units they play on when I draft, and from my research in past years I've found that there can be significant differences in PPG to total goals and PPA to total assists ratios among players.
                        I agree. While PPG are a subset of goals, I often found I would win one but not both of these categories in a given week. They were not the same.

I also thought 8 categories was a nice number and really would only like to drop a category if we could also replace it. I also like the 5-3 skater-goalie balance.

To me dropping categories just makes the draft even more simplistic , While PPG and PPA are far from ideal for diversifying what you need to consider, there ARE some different folks that do well in those categories so that draft rankings become something other thn a re-listing of points scored

Comment

I'm in
                          Former President, Vice-president and Foreign Minister of the Apolyton Civ2-Democracy Games as 123john321

Comment

IN

Flubber
                            Asher
                            Snoopy369
                            Guynmer
                            Kontiki
                            Mrboo123

Six signing up in less than a day is encouraging--

Do any of you six have any problem with a Sept 20 auction day?

Comment

Sept 20th? No problems right now.
                              Former President, Vice-president and Foreign Minister of the Apolyton Civ2-Democracy Games as 123john321

Comment

Working...
                              X