Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Can We At Least Talk About Who Will Run Leagues For NFL?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I'm up for either or both.

ACK!
    Don't try to confuse the issue with half-truths and gorilla dust!

Comment

Originally posted by Berzerker View Post
      explain the procedures for a keeper league, I never played one
      Basically we do a full draft once, then at the end of the season each team gets to keep a certain number of players and releases the rest. The following years we draft rookies and released players to fill out the roster.
      "In the beginning was the Word. Then came the ******* word processor." -Dan Simmons, Hyperion

Comment

I've never played in a dynasty league; never saw the point. Seems like it would tend toward imbalance after a year or two. Personally, I like the fact that all the top players are available every year, and everyone starts the draft with a (theoretically) equal chance.
        Apolyton's Grim Reaper 2008, 2010 & 2011
        RIP lest we forget... SG (2) and LaFayette -- Civ2 Succession Games Brothers-in-Arms

Comment

I'm curious about it just because it rewards longer term planning...might be interesting to have a different type of strategy involved.
          "In the beginning was the Word. Then came the ******* word processor." -Dan Simmons, Hyperion

Comment

Well the draft would be interesting, as players decide whether or not to go for young players who will shine later in their careers, rather than proven performers who will only last a couple more seasons, but I agree with the rabbit.

Comment

This is the third year I've been in a keeper league (with people from another message board), and it's the most fun I've had in fantasy football, by far. The challenge is keeping the same crew together every year, but if you can, you can get some really fun seasons in a row with decisions to be made on rookies/young players based on keeper status, which affects trades and drafting (as future considerations affect real life NFL).
              “I give you a new commandment, that you love one another. Just as I have loved you, you also should love one another. By this everyone will know that you are my disciples, if you have love for one another.”
              - John 13:34-35 (NRSV)

Comment

I've opened the IDP league at Yahoo, if for no other reason than to give Sloww something positive to do.

League name: Poly IDP FF09
                League ID#: 327337
                Password: plomp

Some changes to settings -- Yahoo has finally separated defenders by position, and I tweaked the scoring a bit from last year. I'm going for slightly shorter benches as well, to make the waiver wire meaningful.

Everything is editable, so sign up, have a look, post your thoughts, and let's get ready to roll.

Oh, and none of this 24-hour crap between picks. That's crazy. I'm thinking 4 hrs. is plenty, with no clock overnight. Targeting somewhere around Aug. 5-10 to start the draft.
                RIP lest we forget... SG (2) and LaFayette -- Civ2 Succession Games Brothers-in-Arms

Comment

Originally posted by Imran Siddiqui View Post
                  This is the third year I've been in a keeper league (with people from another message board), and it's the most fun I've had in fantasy football, by far. The challenge is keeping the same crew together every year, but if you can, you can get some really fun seasons in a row with decisions to be made on rookies/young players based on keeper status, which affects trades and drafting (as future considerations affect real life NFL).

How many players are kept? Is there a max/min?
                  How do the mechanics work at a site like Yahoo?

Comment

There are 3 players kept: 1 QB, 1 RB, and 1 WR. You don't have to take your 3 keepers, you can instead take an extra round at the end of the draft (or rather, each keeper takes a round at the end of the draft).

We just added a Rookie keeper as well which started for this year (2008 rookies).

It's done at another site called "Fleaflicker". Basically the way its done is that its a draft where each team is given its keepers, by the commish, prior to the start of the draft. So they are undraftable because they are already assigned to a team.
                    “I give you a new commandment, that you love one another. Just as I have loved you, you also should love one another. By this everyone will know that you are my disciples, if you have love for one another.”
                    - John 13:34-35 (NRSV)

Comment

Is that standard? I was under the impression more than that was kept. Also that there was a DL you could put people on.

Comment

Originally posted by -Jrabbit View Post
                        Oh, and none of this 24-hour crap between picks. That's crazy. I'm thinking 4 hrs. is plenty, with no clock overnight. Targeting somewhere around Aug. 5-10 to start the draft.
                        Well I'm only on in the evenings, so I'm hoping it'll take some time for the other players to choose in between mine, or I'll end up with a run of forced picks.

Comment

Signed up to -J's league.

18 - 42 - 36 Hut!

Comment

By sending a short list of preferred picks (either rank-order names or 'best available WR' etc) to someone not choosing in the intervening slots (and available during the day), you can generally get your guys and not hold things up.

Comment

Yahoo has also added an IR function this year; I put that number at zero for this league, but it would be key to a dynasty thing if we do it through that site.

Comment

TBH, I kind of like the idea of an IR, but I'll go with whatever people think.

Comment

Working...
                                X