2009 Fantasy Baseball Predictions

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 2009 Fantasy Baseball Predictions

Okay, lets take a look at this team our defending chump is so high and mighty about

Siddiqui Slammers
    1. (5) José Reyes
    2. (20) Dustin Pedroia
    3. (29) Evan Longoria
    4. (44) Alfonso Soriano
    5. (53) Nick Markakis
    6. (68) Roy Oswalt
    7. (77) Matt Kemp
    8. (92) Félix Hernández
    9. (101) Derrek Lee
    10. (116) Kerry Wood
    11. (125) Adam Wainwright
    12. (140) Matt Capps
    13. (149) Mike Napoli
    14. (164) Matt Garza
    15. (173) Lastings Milledge
    16. (188) Erik Bedard
    17. (197) Gil Meche
    18. (212) James Loney
    19. (221) Delmon Young
    20. (236) Jose Arredondo
    21. (245) Kelly Shoppach
    22. (260) Brandon Wood

Sorry Imran, I just dont see it... Not this year. You've got arguably the best SS/2B tandem but the OF is a bit weak and Lee better bounce back. You have good production pretty much across the board and you should win steals just about every week so I expect a competitive offense but far from stellar... I get a similar impression from your pitching, decent but not good enough to repeat. You're weak in the saves dept but the SPs will keep you in the game most weeks. But I expect 3-5 teams to look better or as good

I haven't looked at the other teams yet so rankings will be made later.

My team

Blazin Berz
    1. (4) Álex Rodríguez
    2. (21) Lance Berkman
    3. (28) Rafael Furcal
    4. (45) Mariano Rivera
    5. (52) Jake Peavy
    6. (69) Nate McLouth
    7. (76) Víctor Martínez
    8. (93) Raúl Ibañez
    9. (100) Brian Fuentes
    10. (117) Randy Johnson
    11. (124) Nelson Cruz
    12. (141) David Price
    13. (148) Matt Wieters
    14. (165) Chad Qualls
    15. (172) Chris Carpenter
    16. (189) Tommy Hanson
    17. (196) Mike Fontenot
    18. (213) Mike Lowell
    19. (220) Jerry Hairston Jr.
    20. (237) Jason Motte
    21. (244) Jordan Zimmermann
    22. (261) Paul Konerko

A-Roid is hurt, Furcal is a high injury risk, my C needs to bounce back big, and I have too many old timers and/or gimps combined with prospects to be a threat early on. But if people get healthy and stay healthy this team could find itself in the championship as a higher seed. Of course I'll make so many damn changes 2/3rds of these guys could be gone by the all star game. The potential is there for the stretch run...

Comment

Who exactly was so "high and mighty" about anything?

Are you buying into the Slowpaganda again?
      “I give you a new commandment, that you love one another. Just as I have loved you, you also should love one another. By this everyone will know that you are my disciples, if you have love for one another.”
      - John 13:34-35 (NRSV)

Comment

Sloww's team

Dallas Dwarf Tossers
        1. (8) Ian Kinsler
        2. (17) Jimmy Rollins
        3. (32) Carlos Quentin
        4. (41) Jonathan Papelbon
        5. (56) Matt Holliday
        6. (65) Josh Beckett
        7. (80) A.J. Burnett
        8. (89) Francisco Rodríguez
        9. (104) Corey Hart
        10. (113) Carlos Delgado
        11. (128) Edwin Encarnación
        12. (137) Matt Cain
        13. (152) Carlos Zambrano
        14. (161) Randy Winn
        15. (176) Chris Young
        16. (185) Justin Duchscherer
        17. (200) Willy Taveras
        18. (209) Mike González
        19. (224) A.J. Pierzynski
        20. (233) Adam LaRoche
        21. (248) Marco Scutaro
        22. (257) Oliver Pérez

Nope, not a championship team there either... I like the OF if Holliday can adjust but even if he does his numbers will go down. Another great SS/2B tandem and you'll have one helluva run off with Imran for steals. A decent pen w/3 closers but you'll need Zambrano to bounce back. Cain is more of a situation/matchup SP and Perez is scary but if he's back with Carlos you could have one of the best staffs going in.

Comment

Stuie's Still Hobbled Goblins

City Hobgoblins
          1. (3) David Wright
          2. (22) Cole Hamels
          3. (27) Kevin Youkilis
          4. (46) Derek Jeter
          5. (51) Joe Nathan
          6. (70) Mark DeRosa
          7. (75) Shane Victorino
          8. (94) Johnny Damon
          9. (99) Daisuke Matsuzaka
          10. (118) Derek Lowe
          11. (123) Bengie Molina
          12. (142) Pat Burrell
          13. (147)Milton Bradley
          14. (166) Ryan Dempster
          15. (171) Gavin Floyd
          16. (190) Howie Kendrick
          17. (195) Joe Saunders
          18. (214) Hideki Matsui
          19. (219) Grant Balfour
          20. (238) Ryan Madson
          21. (243) Hank Blalock
          22. (262) Khalil Greene

Strong corners but weak up the middle. Much depends on Bradley staying healthy, and that was a problem where he could DH. The pen is weak but the rotation aint a disaster but it wont help enough. The OF dont look too good right now, but you do have speed so if Bradley, Burrell and Mats produce you could be fighting for a higher seed like me.

Comment

Answer my question
            “I give you a new commandment, that you love one another. Just as I have loved you, you also should love one another. By this everyone will know that you are my disciples, if you have love for one another.”

Comment

All shall kneel before The Guild of Calamitous Intent.

"My nation is the world, and my religion is to do good." --Thomas Paine
              "The subject of onanism is inexhaustable." --Sigmund Freud

Comment

Me next!
                Captain of Team Apolyton - ISDG 2012

When I was younger I thought curfews were silly, but now as the daughter of a young woman, I appreciate them. - Rah

Comment

I'll do my own based on the teams posted:

Berz:
                  A-Rod being hurt is a big blow. Also he hurt his hip, so there is the chance that even when he comes back he'll be slowed substantially. That's very problematic to the team as Lowell becomes the starter. Furcal should be fine for 130 games and with Manny in the LAD lineup, should put up some nice runs numbers. It'll be interesting to see if McLouth can do it again. In the mid rounds, there is some risk. Randy Johnson still has the ability, but you wonder how long can he do this. Price and Wieters are gambles. They should put up decent numbers, but probably less than expected. Hanson was taken too early, but Motte is a brilliant late round pick up. Of course most are going to be gone before the season ends.

Slow:
                  Kinsler in the first is interesting, but he'll put up decent numbers. First 4 picks form a solid nucleus, but Holliday will not be near to the player he was in Colorado. Oakland is also a pitchers' park and he switches leagues. Though it is a contract year. The starting rotation seems to be tempting fate as 3 of the top 4 SPs are Beckett, Burnett, and C. Zambrano. If all are healthy, it could be a good year... however, what are the chances of that? In the mid rounds, Delgado is another gamble. Had a great 2nd half, but he is getting up there in years. Cain and Winn are very good pickups. Late rounds are kinda meh (no real prospects), but they are backups.

Stuie:
                  Very well done on the first 3 picks, getting the best 3B after A-Rod's injury, an ace SP, and a top tier 1B/3B (though usually I don't like early 1B). Jeter is a decent SS pick, but he isn't like he used to be... 4th round sounds about right. A top 3 SP of Hamels, Matsuzaka, and Lowe is outstanding! In the middle rounds, Burrell and Bradley are good pickups. Bradley has, of course, some injury history, but when he's healthy, lights out. Later on in the mid rounds, Kendrick is a very good backup 2B, who will likely be your starter at the position over DeRosa before All-Star break (IMO). Dempster and Floyd are good 4th and 5th SP picks. Late rounds, Matsui can be good, but I think his knees won't let him. Worth a flyer. In a Holds league, Balfour is great and probably will end up as Closer by the finish of the season for the Rays. Blalock and Greene are great pickups. Blalock, if healthy, will be a nice bat, and Greene, getting away from PETCO will surprise.

Imran:
                  Great first three picks, taking a top 3 SS, 2B, and 3B (arguably for 3B). Nice young OF with some speed and power (Soriano, Markakis, Kemp, Milledge), but Soriano is always an injury risk. Hernandez is a decent 2nd SP, but has not lived up to the promise yet and gets hurt a bit much. In the mid rounds, Wainwright & Garza are good young pitchers on the way up. Napoli and Bedard are serious injury risks, however. In the later rounds, Meche and Shoppach are good pickups. Young hasn't hit his promise yet and no guarantee that is the year he actually does it (as well as Minny's OF being mega crowded). Loney is a decent backup 1B, and may be needed to start if Lee continues not to impress. RP is meh-verage.

Comment

alright alright, just a brief look and I see why you're a happy camper

Calamitous Intent
                    1. (10) Tim Lincecum
                    2. (15) Roy Halladay
                    3. (34) Carlos Lee
                    4. (39) Chipper Jones
                    5. (58) Cliff Lee
                    6. (63) Brian McCann
                    7. (82) Adrián González
                    8. (87) Ricky Nolasco
                    9. (106) Jacoby Ellsbury
                    10. (111) Michael Young
                    11. (130) Dan Wheeler
                    12. (135) Trevor Hoffman
                    13. (154) Scot Shields
                    14. (159) Jayson Werth
                    15. (178) J.D. Drew
                    16. (183) Kelly Johnson
                    17. (202) Mark Buehrle
                    18. (207) Carlos Guillén
                    19. (226) Brandon Lyon
                    20. (231) Clint Barmes
                    21. (250) Ubaldo Jiménez
                    22. (255) Dioner Navarro

well well, very impressive pitching staff... The best yet by far. Three SPs around 5 K/BB and another above 3 - thats 4 top SPs you have there and all appear to be workhorses free of major injuries. Two of the top Holds men make up for so-so closers but the pen has some vulnerability, not much, but some. I'm trying to find weaknesses and it aint all that easy. Oh, wait, it just got easy You've got the top C and imo the top 3B in the league but it falls off fast and deep from there. Gonzo wont hurt at 1B but the middle looks real iffy and the OF is okay but still sub par with a weak bench. You'll be winning pitching cats in bunches but it'll be a struggle to finish above 500 on offense. Drew and Jones are big injury risks and thats even worse for a weekly league. Still a top team, the best I've reviewed so far. But I'm overly impressed by pitching so...

Comment

1. Teh Peeled Bananas (EPW)
                      2.Blazin' Berz (berezker)
                      3. Calamitous Intent(Guynemer)
                      4. The Red Barons(snoopy369)
                      5. Lebron James at DH(JD)
                      6.Dallas Dwarf Tossers(Slowwdhand)
                      7.City Hobgoblins(stuie)
                      8.Siddiqui Slammers(Imran)
                      9. Fist's Sox (Fistandantilus)
                      10.Next Big Thing(empfab)
                      11.Ozzy's Sluggers(Ozzy)
                      12.The Capybaras(Capybaras)
                      "

Comment

Guy:
                        Very good starting pitching. Went after 2 SPs right off the bat with Lincecum and Halladay. Lee at 5th round is a nice choice as well. There is always the risk he backslides, but I don't think it'll be all that far at all. Lee is a good OF pick in the 3rd slot. Chipper is an injury risk, but if healthy will rake. You have the best Catcher. Nolasco is a brilliant 4th SP. Gonzales is an underrated 1B. In the mid rounds, I'm not very big on Ellsbury as other may be, but I like Wheeler and Shields as RP. Werth is a good pickup. Drew is hurt like... well, all the time. Kelly Johnson may end up being the steal of the draft by the end of the season (yes, folks, he's real good). In the late rounds, Lyon is a good pickup.

Best SP and RP in the draft. Should make up for the offense a bit (as I think Chipper will spend some time on the DL). Probably tied for the 2nd best team in the league with me after Stuie's #1 so far.

Comment

dp

Comment

Ozzy's Sluggers

Ozzy's Sluggers
                            1. (12) CC Sabathia
                            2. (13) Mark Teixeira
                            3. (36) Ervin Santana
                            4. (37) Aubrey Huff
                            5. (60) Magglio Ordóñez
                            6. (61) Curtis Granderson
                            7. (84) Bobby Abreu
                            8. (85) Stephen Drew
                            9. (108) Chris Davis
                            10. (109) Yovani Gallardo
                            11. (132) Kevin Slowey
                            12. (133) Chris Iannetta
                            13. (156) Robinson Canó
                            14. (157) Huston Street
                            15. (180) Justin Verlander
                            16. (181) Frank Francisco
                            17. (204) Vernon Wells
                            18. (205) Plácido Polanco
                            19. (228) Andy Sonnanstine
                            20. (229) Felipe López
                            21. (252) Tony Peña
                            22. (253) Chris Snyder

Hmm...a team of 2 stars - Tex and CC... I'd love to start my draft with them but just never fell into place for me. Yup, definitely call this team sluggers because these guys wont be competing for steals very often... maybe I'll be in your league. But beyond Huff and Tex I dont see many sluggers - decent production across the board but I see weakness in the middle and the OF is aging and I'm never impressed by teams with Vernon Wells The pen needs work, 2-1 S/H requires top people and only Frank might fit the bill. Beyond CC I see trouble... Gallardo and Slowey might do but Verlander has to go. Andy dont let the sun go down on me Sonnanstine occupies Price's spot as 5th man in the rotation, 2-3 lousy outings and Andy wont be shining long.

Comment

Ozzy:
                              Sabathia, by all reports, has shown up in camp lighter and is taking it on his shoulder to be a leader. Bodes well. Great numbers from him and Tex. Not sure about Erwin Santana as 2nd SP, but Huff and Ordonez are pretty decent. In the mid rounds, Gallardo is a good pickup as is Slowey. Slowey will have fantastic numbers this year and should finish as a solid #2. Cano is a good semi-sleeper pick. After a horrible early season, he really tore it up at the end, but the Yanks were out so many didn't notice. Verlander definitely could bounce back. He has the stuff. Late rounds, Wells is a decent pick, but prone to injury. Lopez is a good backup.

As you already know, the overall value of your team depends on how the Tigers do .

Oh, and Berz is wrong, Sonnastine is the 4th starter in Tampa (after Shields, Kazmir and Garza).

So far:
                              1) Stuie
                              2) Imran (tie)
                              2) Guy (tie)
                              4) Slow
                              5) Berz
                              6) Ozzy

Oh, and as Berz hasn't answered me, I'm guessing that means he knows its a LIE!

Comment

Working...
                              X