Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

And thanks to the French not turning up we will continue to paper over the cracks....
    It is better to keep silent and be thought a fool than to speak and remove all doubt

Comment

You've now learnt what "une branlée" means in French. That's what the English did to us.
      It's a bit hard to find out how the team managed to consistently lose the ball. Some bad lineouts, even being dominated in scrum, can be expected. But losing the ball to the oppo in open play that often, and offering the English 3 vs. 1 several times in the match...
      I think at the very least Chabal should remain lock so someone more mobile plays flanker. And Malzieu (14) should learn to defend. He made an interception but tackled very little. I've seen enough of him to be totally unconvinced by his ability to play at international level. The front row was poor, and the locks were lost too. Probably one of the best lessons on what you shouldn't do on a rugby field.

A pity for Italy. I think Mirco Bergamasco was dangerous, but Canale is just unable to make the difference, and the wingers are invisible. Pity that they didn't manage to better defend. Had they avoided a try, they would have won, and deservedly. Parise is definitely the best player of the tournament.

Scotland needs some mobility in the forwards. Evans and Danielli both managed to be dangerous at times, so there might still be hope for their backs to finally click and do something.
      Clash of Civilization team member
      (a civ-like game whose goal is low micromanagement and good AI)
      web site http://clash.apolyton.net/frame/index.shtml and forum here on apolyton)

Comment

Originally posted by LDiCesare View Post
        You've now learnt what "une branlée" means in French. That's what the English did to us.
        In Italian, "una sconfitta".

I agree Chabal belongs in the second row. They ran around him for the first try. But they were all poor. It's just astonishing that the same team monstered the Welsh.

Yes, Mirco B is a good player. Should always be in the centres. He never sees the ball on the wing. Canale is useless. Takes the ball into tackles. Full stop. I actually thought the new young #14 did all right. Better than Kaine Robertson ever does anyway.

Scotland needs a backs coach to stop them going laterally so much, someone to teach them to create and exploit angles. Otherwise they're never going to score a try.

I've avoided looking at any of the post-match stuff from the England hierarchy. I couldn't bear it. France actually played for seven minutes today. And what a difference it made to the game. How quickly England reverted to old ways. Pity it was only seven minutes.
        " ... and the following morning I should see the Boks wallop the Wallabies again?" - Havak
        "The only thing worse than being quoted in someone's sig is not being quoted in someone's sig." - finbar, with apologies to Oscar Wilde.

Comment

Now, now. You'll hurt my feelings. Or would if you weren't right.

My favourite result from the game is how stupid it made the earlier selection of Haskell look. Did he achieve at the breakdown in three games what Tom managed in 40 mins? Fulfilling his potential nicely is Crofty. He might even nail the Lions 6 shirt.

Mr Dickinson is a strange referee indeed. He didn't let any real scrumming occur, he continued his vendetta against Simon Shaw (only this time was largely right when doing so) and he allowed France to bleed penalties in their 22 with no warnings then threatened a yellow to England after two offences....not very consistent was he?
          It is better to keep silent and be thought a fool than to speak and remove all doubt

Comment

But then I'm always right.

France's brief seven minute display of rugby was actually the most interesting part of the match to me. England, not given licence to do what they wanted, suddenly reverted to type. Pity not many have noticed.

Yes, Croft made the selectors look stupid. As he was always going to. Matthew Tait will, one day, do the same when he replaces a lump like Tindall. I've been interested to see more of Flutey at #12. He needs space. The French gave it to him in spades. A quality #12 will create his own space. Flutey can't do that.

Dickinson was poor. Apart from what you mention, he was inconsistent with his policing of going off your feet at the breakdown and entering from the side. As for the scrums, I can't think of one ref who gives the impression they know what they're doing at scrum time. It turns into a lottery.

EDIT. But I did enjoy his persecution of Simon Shaw. Albeit totally justified. They were idiotic penalties to give away. In fact, early on, it seemed to be another England journey down the road of idiotic penalties. Shame it didn't continue.

And, finally, Freddie Michalak turns up in the French squad. Sure he can be flaky on occasions, but he's a class above anyone else Lièvremont has put on the field.
            Last edited by finbar; March 17, 2009, 04:27. Reason: Senility
            " ... and the following morning I should see the Boks wallop the Wallabies again?" - Havak
            "The only thing worse than being quoted in someone's sig is not being quoted in someone's sig." - finbar, with apologies to Oscar Wilde.

Comment

Don't expect to see much of Michalak, however.
              He's been selected only because Tillous-Bordes isn't fit, so he'll likely start on hte bench, and probably stay there most of the match if not all, as Lièvremont seems to like Parra a lot and wants him to play more.
              Personnally, I miss Elissalde.
              web site http://clash.apolyton.net/frame/index.shtml and forum here on apolyton)

Comment

Anch'io. And Parra hasn't done anything yet to enthrall me.

Comment

France were entertaining, Parisse a one man team once again. England were poor but thats more than enough to dispose of a Scotland side that plays only to disrupt and wait for mistakes.

Congratulations Ireland. Done it at long last!

And lets have no more talk of the Lions being dominated by players from an average side that finished fourth in the six nations. Oh yes I enjoyed that!

Comment

Well, Parisse with some help from Mirco Bergamasco. Mauro B had a shocker. And Gloucester can keep Bortolami. They've turned him into a lump. The French were entertaining, certainly. Pity they can't turn it on when it counts. I'd sack Parra tomorrow - well, I'd sack him now - and play Michalak. Every time. Oh, and let's deduct 12 points from the French score on the basis that (a) both Medak's tries involved the ball going forward; and (b) he showed zilch interest in trying to stop Parisse's try.

England produced a mixture of good and ordinary against the underwhelming Scots. There's some talent in that Scotland backline but it remains as impotent as Italy's. Something wrong's somewhere and I think it's called Hadden.

I'd taped the Wales-Ireland outing and somehow lost the last 20 minutes. Pity. Sounds like it was good value. Wales have certainly gone backwards from last season. Congrats to the Paddys. They were the most consistent mob in the tournament. And BOD, while he's lost some of his speed, has lost none of his guts, guile and endeavour.

Comment

• The atmosphere in the Millennium Stadium for the last 10 minutes was absolutely unbelievable - not to mention the atmosphere around town before and after!

It was great to see Ireland win the Grand Slam in the manner they did after almost 60 years. Wales certainly went backwards this year and frankly it was because of copious servings of arrogance from the whole Welsh set up from Gatland down. Serves them right basically, and that's from a Welshman!
                      Is it me, or is MOBIUS a horrible person?

Comment

• I don't know whether the selection against Italy was arrogance or stupidity. Either way. Gatland is opining that other teams worked to shut down their strengths. Is he surprised? They simply weren't as good as last season. Shane Williams is out of sorts, two crash-ball centres is one too many and hence predictable (as it took England too long to realise), and Gav, with his tantrums, can't be a good influence.

I have no idea who the Lions are going to use as halves. There just aren't any #9s or #10s screaming to be selected. Steven Jones has the front running, I suppose. They have to take Tom Croft for his speed, versatility and outstanding lineout work.

Interesting to read that J**** denies a physical confrontation with Cipriani but acknowledges something that sounds like a verbal one. Perhaps he told Cipriani to grow up.

Comment

• The more Wasps struggle and Wasps players get on the wrong side of Jonno the better it will be for England.

Actually I think Ellis has the Lions 9 shirt nailed - unless Peel finds some form. I don't think Phillips has maintained his level from last season.

Ireland will supply the test locks. Williams probably has the 7 shirt. Byrne at 15 and BOD at 13. Everything else is pretty up for grabs I think.

Comment

• Paul O'Connell has been excellent. His offsider with the strange name hasn't, at least not as good as he has been. J**** wouldn't pick Kennedy - a la Croft - but they will need someone with Kennedy's skills to combat the Bok lineout. Mike Phillips has been effective and powerful - coming back from injury - but I've never thought he's had the class.

I don't think much of any of the available hookers, nor the available #8s. In fact, I can't see any Lions back row not being destroyed by those Bok monsters. I suppose BOD is a chance for #13, but it will be for nouse and guile, because he's lost his speed. Still, nouse and guile might not be a bad thing. There have been no outstanding #13s. Nor #12s. Probably Flutey has been the most effective recently, but the Boks won't give him the space he needs. Byrne at #15 seems obvious. I don't think Armitage is ready yet. I'd have Kearney in front of him. Wingers? I suppose Williams has to go, even if his form is patchy. Tommy Bowe is handy. For that matter, Cueto - who has developed his game a lot - could be a chance.

All up, it's not going to be the classiest Lions tour ever. I wouldn't fancy being a selector.

Comment

• Italy needs a 9 and 10. I thought Marcato could do some nice things. Parise again should be cloned.

France really played well because they had played so bad the week before. I think it could be easy to make a simulation of rugby match results: Roll some dice, the highest score wins:
                              Italy: Roll 1 die.
                              Scotland: Roll 1 die, add 1.
                              Wales, Ireland, England: Roll 4 dice.
                              France: Roll 1 die, then roll that number of dice and use the result.
                              The refereeing wasn't exactly good indeed, but Italy didn't play. I disagree regarding Parra. I don't think he's very good, but Michalak wasn't much better either. Medard was better on the wing than as full back, but his defense isn't great indeed. The French only have a few players that started all the matches: Swarzewski, Nallet, Harinordoquy, Dusautoir, Jauzion and Heymans. This means more than half the team is still unclear, including the scrum and fly half.

As for the Lions, I agree that the second row should be Irish. I think Williams at 7, O'Gara at 10, BOD at 13, Byrne at 15.

Comment

• Italy needs a 9, 10, 11, 13, and 14. A backline, basically. Griffen isn't good enough, as was already well known. Luke McLean, very young, could have a future if only someone would teach him the basics of tactical kicking instead of letting him roost the ball mindlessly straight to the oppo. Reminds me of Andy Goode, in fact.

I hope Nick Mallet doesn't carry the can for the Italian effort this year. One idiotic selection aside, he did the best he could. As he says, the loss of the maul has hurt Italy badly. No one's going to coach Italy to greater heights until they discover some backs with skills.

I see Wasps are buying in second-hand players to replenish the ranks. I only saw Ward-Smith briefly before his terrible injury. In fact, I saw the match when he was injured. Liked the look of him. He seemed to combine size, strength and mobility. Varndell could be better suited at Wasps, though he's leaving Leicester just at a time when they seem to be realising that numbers 11-15 can play a useful part in the game if they're allowed to. Still, he needs to develop his game a lot more, as Mark Cueto has. A greyhound who sticks exclusively to the touch line has limited use. I have no idea why they've signed Steve Kefu apart from the fact that they need another centre. He was only ever a fringe Wallaby, too easily brushed aside and too limited in all-round skills. Unless the French have taught him something.

Comment

Working...
                                X