X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Or Dallaglio agreeing with Havak?

No. I think you're right.
    " ... and the following morning I should see the Boks wallop the Wallabies again?" - Havak
    "The only thing worse than being quoted in someone's sig is not being quoted in someone's sig." - finbar, with apologies to Oscar Wilde.

Comment

Woo, off to see the big game in a couple of hours!
      Is it me, or is MOBIUS a horrible person?

Comment

What big game? Oh sorry I forgot that for Wales it is the BIGGEST game every year.

Three in a row - and deserved. England rugby is beyond crisis point now. It's not acceptable to lose to Wales thrice in a row - they might start thinking they are good or something (perish the thought!)

I do agree with Dayglo - Borthwick responded to criticism of his performance against Italy by saying "I think I am playing pretty well". I'd call that denial I think, with a capital D.

The lock partnership is something I would change toute suite - Kennedy is promising and a good line out operator but give me a lock to partner him that carries ball well (call up Skivington or Blaze from the Saxons). I am definitely not imprssed to see Croft used at lock as it wastes his abilities as flanker.

Apart from that all we need in a new coalface, a number 8, a playmaking fly half, a winger and two centres. No challenge there then.

In all honesty I thinks the Saxons side really would beat the senior side so were it up to me I'd make big changes. As we know however no changes will be made - even Sackey will stay after his game breaking error to hit contact without any support early in the second half.
        It is better to keep silent and be thought a fool than to speak and remove all doubt

Comment

Is it me, or is MOBIUS a horrible person?

Comment

Well, on the bright side, England were better yesterday than last week. Could they have been worse?

You have to wonder why J**** replaced Goode with Toby Flood after the expiry of the sin-bin period. In the sense that you have to wonder why he selected Goode in the first place. Toby did what you expect him to do - put England on the front foot and create some opportunities. Having seen Toby a lot this season with Leicester, I remain unconvinced that he's a clear-enough thinker to be a quality #10, but his best is a class above Goode's in terms of doing what a #10 should do. But that's all been said before. Croft and Tait sitting on the bench is an equally ridiculous situation. But that's been said before, too.

England defended mightily. Wales two "crash ball merchant" centres were frequently stymied, cutting down Welsh options. And how they missed Shane Williams, not only as an attacking threat, but even more for the support he lends to Lee Byrne in defence. Byrne was all on his lonesome yesterday and it showed. For one thing, there's no way Sackey would have scored his try with Shane anywhere in the area.

Anyway, Wales aren't playing as well as they can. England's improvement only masks the ongoing problems Havak outlined.

The Haggis Munchers -v- Les Grenouilles was as predictable as the frozen water in the watering can on our back terrace. The Scots had 100% possession for the first 10 or 15 minutes and produced zilch points. They huffed and puffed and threw the ball around and achieved nothing because they lack the skill and, more importantly, the guile to break through defences. And the French? Having played some sublime rugby last week with a limited number of errors, they spent the first half bumping into each other, mishandling, knocking on, kicking away possession, and otherwise plumbing the depths of French rugby at its least capable. They had a better second half, but, like England last week, they couldn't have been any worse. What goes on inside a French rugby player's head, LdiC? Tell me.

And Lionel Beauxis should lose at least a stone in weight and get fit.

I fear for Italy against Ireland today.
            " ... and the following morning I should see the Boks wallop the Wallabies again?" - Havak
            "The only thing worse than being quoted in someone's sig is not being quoted in someone's sig." - finbar, with apologies to Oscar Wilde.

Comment

And I was right. Two Italian schoolboy howlers in the last five minutes blew out the scoreline to a point that it fairly reflected Ireland's massive possession and territory advantages without reflecting the game itself. A weekend for form reversals. Ireland were about 30% of what they were last week, Italy improved about 60%. Paul Griffen was competent, giving him a 750% advantage over last week's Italian #9, while Luke McLean didn't embarrass himself. He's worth sticking with at #10, with Mercato, when he returns from injury, slotting back into full back, with the useless Masi banished back to whichever French club is foolish enough to have him on their books. Outstanding Italian defence probably contributed to Ireland's hamfistedness, but a lot of it was their own doing.

So Ireland and Wales remain undefeated and top of the ladder. Ireland were better than Wales last week when both won, Wales were better than Ireland this week when they both won. This could be a 6 Nations decided by which team isn't as inconsistent as the others.

Comment

Well, it was Valentines day on Saturday, and I'm pleased to confirm that the missus very much enjoyed being taken to the Feathers to watch the Poms get stuffed by the village idiots.

I initially thought that Wales would run away with this one, but they couldn't quite crack the try line often enough, mainly due to the English playing with a bit of heart for once. I've enjoyed watching Wales progress under Gatland - he has added some serious street smarts to this Wales team to go with the elevated fitness levels etc.

The Super14 started this weekend. I only saw the Crusaders Chiefs game, which as a messy affair but still contained lots of action. Leonard (who looks like he has been doing some power lifting) had a great game, probably the best of the Chief backs. So did Hika Elliot, Muliania (always pure class), and Messan. Crockett, McCaw and Laulala were the standouts for the Crusaders. The 'saders may have lost some big players and an even bigger coach, but they haven't lost the knowledge of how to win games.

Comment

I think it is fair to say England messed up by not appointing Gatland and Edwards (they had the chance to sign both). Streets smarts are one more thing we need to improve.

I'm not sure a side that benches your Crofts and Taits of this world has the ambition needed to improve. And I would say again that using Croft as a lock replacement is not using his strengths main correctly. I's like playing Richie McCaw at lock - you know he'll do the job just fine but it isn't where you really want to see him.
                  It is better to keep silent and be thought a fool than to speak and remove all doubt

Comment

Originally posted by Andydog View Post
                    Well, it was Valentines day on Saturday, and I'm pleased to confirm that the missus very much enjoyed being taken to the Feathers to watch the Poms get stuffed by the village idiots.
                    I knew you had some Australian blood somewhere in those veins of yours.

I saw half of the Crusaders-Chiefs and the whole Waratahs-Hurricanes game. There was first-game rustiness all over the place. The Hurricanes' kicking game, and a poor one at that, was a mystery.

But, in terms of England, Paul Sackey says the team has turned the corner, so everything's all right, Havak. No more complaints, please. You have eons of wonderful English rugby to look forward to. Paul Sackey says so.

Oh, and I noticed that Wasps rolled Tigers. Thank your lucky stars Bristol are as poor as they are.

Comment

I'm quite enjoying Wasps' bleating about the cashed-up, salary cap-less French clubs buying up their best players, arguing that it's a less-than-level playing field. Some of the SH Unions might be enjoying it too. Chickens and where they go to roost spring to mind.

Comment

hmmm. I doubt the SH will be enjoying it that much. I'm sure they don't have an ounce of sympathy for England, but the concern will be this: If England are hemorrhaging top players to France, then this frees up space under their salary cap, and where do you think they are going to get replacement players from?

Comment

I didn't mean to imply that the SH Unions had any brains. They will s****** up their sleeves until they realise the implications you have so rightly pointed out.

Comment

And whilst I'm concerned about it I'm also delighted to see Wasps so badly affected. Couldn't happen to a nicer club IMO. Chickens coming home to roost - they never showed any sympathy for Tigers for all the years we were losing 8 players to England with almost no compensation at all.

Although I tend to agree with them that Worcester and Bristol should get no 'smoothing' cash at all .

Not sure how we contrived to lose to the insects last weekend - we were far the better side. We share the England habit of leaking kickable penalties unfortunately.

And finally a tip for Finbar - try and catch the U20 six nations which is again in danger of being slammed by England. It hints at a brighter future for the red rose. In particular keep your eye on Will Hurrell a young winger from Tigers - he looks the real deal (scored a nice try in downing the taffs too).

Comment

I'll keep an eye out for the U20s. I think it was the U21s where I first saw Tom Croft score that astonishing try.

Cripes, Glos are a worry. It's beyond me what they're doing near the top of the table. At face value, with the apparent talent they have in their team, they should be comfortably near or at the top, but there seems to be no inherent confidence or coherent strategy in their game. It's been the same all year. Time for Dean Ryan to move on, I think. With the cash and talent at his disposal, and the time he's had, he's taking the team nowhere. And how much longer will Ryan Lamb wear his coach's snubs? Lamb is far from perfect - he's as flaky as old-fashioned pipe tobacco - but buying in Carlos Spencer to win them a trophy? Carlos is a good couple of years over the hill and looks it.

Quins, on the other hand, have a strategy. Attack like the clappers. It doesn't always work, but at least they know what they're doing. Their back row was outplayed yesterday, which doesn't often happen, and it cost them. I say again - Dean Richards for the England job. He's turned Quins from a rabble into a very strong, competitive outfit.

In the SH, the Crusaders were somewhat exposed yesterday minus their old coach, not to mention a couple of key players. Their defence was absolutely monumental. That, and some appalling Brumbies handling and decision-making, kept them in the match. But it was the Brumbies who were playing the rugby. Sooner or later they were going to get something right. They did, and they won. Their young #10, Christian Lealiifano, had a shocker. Obviously the news that Matt Giteau will be back at the Brumbies next season got to him.

Comment

Keep in mind that Deano signed Ramiro Pez for Tigers (allegedly) on more money than anyone but Jonno at the time. It will be another five years or so before that stain is fully wiped from his record and he can be in England contention. That said I'd have him back tomorrow.

Bristol must be shockingly bad because Worcester are awful. A badly misfiring Tigers side blew them away yesterday.

How did I miss Spencer going to Glaws? As you say time for Lamby to leave. I've gone on record about Ryan before - never have rated him as a coach.

Comment

Working...
                                X