Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The less said about cricket the better.

I don't understand the Quins situation. The club is being hammered for something that has been quite widespread practice. Being made an example of. I'm not hugely happy about it - I'd rather it was Wasps.

Better backline Finbar? You mean there has been a better centre combo thank Tinders and Greenwood? (to highlight for those other than Finbar who might think I am serious that I'm really not).

One thing I don't like about this Bok side is Mr Steyn's predilection for trying to drop goals from his own 22. I find myself in rare agreement with those antipodeans who think 'field goals' detract from the game. They have their place, and that is in the opposition half of the field.

Just thinking on the school question - there are currently many thousands of huge Polish lads wending their way through our school system. Locks aplenty for England in a decades time then?
    It is better to keep silent and be thought a fool than to speak and remove all doubt

Comment

• Or even middle-order batsmen.

Steyn's predilection for the 70m drop goal is a symptom of his immaturity. One day, when he matures, if he ever does, he could be a very useful player. He tries them three or four times a match in S14 and thoroughly disrupts his team's attacking strategies. Trouble is, the crowds love the attempts, and he plays to the crowds.

Problem with the Quins cheating was that it was so blatantly obvious. Including the silly wink. On top of which, Sky had footage of him taking the capsule from his sock. They had to act. Shame about Deano, that's all.
      " ... and the following morning I should see the Boks wallop the Wallabies again?" - Havak
      "The only thing worse than being quoted in someone's sig is not being quoted in someone's sig." - finbar, with apologies to Oscar Wilde.

Comment

• Any batsmen in the top order would be nice thanks.

I guess they had to act - but it all leaves a sour taste. Deano is a survivor - he survived his sacking from Tigers, he will survive this.

His England chances went south when they appointed the younger Tiger Jonno ahead of him I think. But never say never of course.
        It is better to keep silent and be thought a fool than to speak and remove all doubt

Comment

• I see Gloucester have released Titterall.

His move from Sale in 2007 was in hindsight a disasterous one for him. He has gone from being an England hooker and a Lions tourist in 2005 to 'unattached' in 2009, and he is only 28.

Still as Andydog will know we have a naturalised Kiwi being groomed for that role with England now. But it's okay because Hartley went to school here.

Comment

• Mortlock out for the Wallabies and Carter back for the ABs.

Elsom will hopefully be fit.

This is one tri-nations game I am really looking forward to.

Comment

• Mortlock is nearing the end anyway, I fear. Not helped by spending too much of the S14 season on the wing thanks to idiotic Brubies selectors.

All boils down to the Wallabies' mental strength, methinks.
              " ... and the following morning I should see the Boks wallop the Wallabies again?" - Havak
              "The only thing worse than being quoted in someone's sig is not being quoted in someone's sig." - finbar, with apologies to Oscar Wilde.

Comment

• It is a shame if that is the case for Stirling.

I think much rests on the mental strength of the Wallabies opponents too. There is no doubt Carter can make a huge difference for them not just due to his playing quality but also just by being there. It should lift them?

Comment

• Mortlock has always been injury-prone - the price he has paid for his approach to the game - but they're becoming more frequent and he's finding it harder to make the breaks. Still, I'd prefer him as skipper in front of George Smith. George is getting petulant with refs. Not a wise thing.

The reality is that the ABs are mentally stronger than the Wallabies. They've proved it for at least the last two years. For all their problems - and I don't think Carter solves them all by any means - they will draw on the knowledge that they have it mentally over the Wallabies. It's up to the Wallabies to stare them down. Various stupidities aside, last week's Wallaby effort was the most intelligent for a long time. They believed. They have to start believing against the ABs.

Comment

• They certainly do. Because this is not a great AB outfit by their own standards, two players excepted.

Three years seems a bit harsh for Deano don't you think?

Comment

• Well, they found that he'd been involved in four similar incidents. I don't know how they found that unless either he admitted it or someone dobbed. No, I don't think the sentence is too harsh. It's blatant cheating. I don't think it's a defence to say that versions of the same thing go on all the time. They're difficult cases to prove at the best of times, but, in this case, the authorities had them cold. And the sentence is obviously a message to others.

Comment

• It is certainly a very clear message.

I have to admit my view on it is probably being influenced by my personal experience of Deano - that being he is one heck of a nice bloke.

He is also a former policeman by the way. Oh the irony?

Comment

• Nice chap, top coach. That's the pity of it all.

Comment

• One thing that does worry me is the discrepancy.

Schalk - nice chap, top bloke - sticks his fingers in the eyes of another player deliberately and gets the minimum sanction.

Williams - seemingly a nice enough kid - bites through a movie blood capsule and gets twelve months.

Richards - top man - presumably as the buck has to stop at the top (and chief exec Evans was never going to take the wrap) gets a worldwide three year ban for not stopping a doctor take a scalpel to Williams.

What I'd like is consitentency - and to see stupidly dangerous foul play treated as seriously as 'cheating'.

A three year worldwide ban? Did Deano double dump tackle BOD or something?

Comment

• I agree there's inconsistency. But I'd rather see deliberate, dangerous acts more heavily penalised than they are. Still, the curious thing remains the tribunal's finding that Deano had a history of this sort of thing. What history? It obviously contributed to the severity of the sentence.

Comment

• Fascinating isn't it? I cannot trace any more details of the 'history' though a Saints supporting wag of my acquantaince is sure it must have been at Tigers.

I think we agreed by thre way - my point was Schalks ban should have been closer to Williams not t'other way around.

Comment

Working...
                                X