Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• He's suspended indefinitely, pending hearing.

He's in **** with his team too:

NHL SUSPENDS AVERY INDEFINITELY FOR COMMENTS, PENDING HEARING

The NHL has suspended Dallas Stars forward Sean Avery indefinitely, pending a hearing with commissioner Gary Bettman.

Avery will miss tonight's game against the Calgary Flames.

The Stars' super-pest is being suspended for disparaging remarks he made this morning in reference to Flames defenceman Dion Phaneuf and Phaneuf's girlfriend, actress Elisha Cuthbert, who previously had a relationship with Avery.

"I am really happy to be back in Calgary, I love Canada," Avery said on camera this morning in Calgary. "I just want to comment on how it's become like a common thing in the NHL for guys to fall in love with my sloppy seconds. I don't know what that's about. Enjoy the game tonight."

Cuthbert has also been romantically linked to Canadiens defenceman Mike Komisarek, while Avery also dated model and actress Rachel Hunter, the girlfriend of Kings centre Jarrett Stoll.

Avery's hearing will take place in accordance with the NHL Constitution, for conduct "detrimental to the League or game of hockey," the NHL announced.

Stars owner Tom Hicks also released a statement on the team's website in which he said he supported the NHL's decision.

"Had the league not have suspended him, the Dallas Stars would have," Hicks stated. "This organization will not tolerate such behaviour, especially from a member of our hockey team. We hold our team to a higher standard and will continue to do so."

Teammate Marty Turco wasn't impressed with Avery's latest antics either.

"Hopefully, he doesn't back down. He better show up like a man," a frustrated Turco said prior to learning of the suspension. "But we expect that out of him like we have all year and the show continues."

Centre Brad Richards was more direct.

"It's none of my business what he says and I'd rather not talk about Sean," said Richards. "He's got his own thing going on."

Sources tell TSN that the Stars are expected to send Avery home Wednesday morning.
    "The issue is there are still many people out there that use religion as a crutch for bigotry and hate. Like Ben."
    Ben Kenobi: "That means I'm doing something right. "

Comment

• Too bad. I was looking forward to the match up. Probably still going to head out to watch the game though since I've got a friend who is a huge stars fan and lives with abunch of guys from Calgary. It always makes it more interesting when the real chirping gets going between us.
      The Leafs/Sharks game will be on too; its always fun to watch the leafs get handled and see how the sharks play. They haven't had much tv play around here, dispite their crazy start.

Comment

• Originally posted by Cavalcadeus
        Too bad. I was looking forward to the match up. Probably still going to head out to watch the game though since I've got a friend who is a huge stars fan and lives with abunch of guys from Calgary. It always makes it more interesting when the real chirping gets going between us.
        The Leafs/Sharks game will be on too; its always fun to watch the leafs get handled and see how the sharks play. They haven't had much tv play around here, dispite their crazy start.
        The Flames games was the type I hate. The Flames made two huge gaffes/breakdowns that led to two Stars goals and otherwise the Stars had no offensive chances outside their power play. Offensively the Flames were lacklustre. They did direct nearly 40 shots at Turco but few were of the super difficult variety and there seemed to be no zing in the attack. Dallas looked like a not great team playing 'kitty-bar -the -door" and it worked for them. Turco was solid but it wasn't like I can say he totally stole the game.

So the Flames lose against a team they should beat.
        Dallas showed nothing special but still get the two points. These games WILL happen in a season but I still hate it.

The flames now go on a road trip where they get St Louis, MOntreal, Detroit and the Rangers. So they better start showing up with more intensity than last night because against that group, iit is very easy to lose.
        You don't get to 300 losses without being a pretty exceptional goaltender.-- Ben Kenobi speaking of Roberto Luongo

Comment

• The Hurricanes fire Laviolette, hire Maurice:

"The issue is there are still many people out there that use religion as a crutch for bigotry and hate. Like Ben."

Comment

• Avery?

THat was one of the most classless things I have ever seen-- If he wanted to say it to Phaneuf directly on the ice, I would see it as crass but part of the game.

To say it anywhere publicly is worse. To deliberately seek out the media and make his statements in the manner he did, where it undoubtedly is repeated to the women in question, is beyond crass.

I shake my head sometimes.When I heard it I wondered if he was going to start describing the various sex acts he had engaged in--
            You don't get to 300 losses without being a pretty exceptional goaltender.-- Ben Kenobi speaking of Roberto Luongo

Comment

• ROUYN-NORANDA, Quebec (AP)—Police divers recovered the body of Hubert “Pit” Martin, a four-time NHL All-Star in the 1960s and ’70s, who drowned after the snowmobile he was driving plunged into an icy lake near his home.

Divers found Martin’s body Tuesday afternoon, Quebec provincial police said.

Const. Marie-Josee Ouellet said Martin was driving the vehicle on Lake Kanasuta in northwestern Quebec on Sunday when the ice cracked and he plunged into the freezing water.

Another man who was driving a separate snowmobile at the time confirmed Martin ended up in the water, Ouellet said.

Martin, who would have turned 65 next week, lived on an island in the lake that was reached by boat in summer and snowmobile in winter, but there were always tricky periods in spring and fall when the ice had to be tested regularly, said former Chicago Blackhawks teammate Dale Tallon, who is now the team’s general manager.

Martin played 1,101 NHL games with the Detroit Red Wings, Boston Bruins, Chicago Blackhawks and Vancouver Canucks, amassing 809 points from 1963-79.

Martin was part of one of the biggest blockbuster trades in hockey history in 1967, when he and two other players were shipped to Chicago in the deal that made Phil Esposito, Ken Hodge and Fred Stanfield part of a Bruins dynasty.

The 5-foot-8, 165-pound Martin was a strong skater and passer whose best years came on Chicago’s MPH line with Jim Pappin and Dennis Hull. The Blackhawks had been planning to honor the line at the United Center this season.

Martin won the Masterton Trophy for sportsmanship and perseverance in 1969-70, his first of three 30-goal campaigns. He had a career-high 90 points in 1972-73 with the Blackhawks.

Nicknamed Pit after a character in a comic strip, Martin spent his last two seasons with Vancouver, retiring after the 1978-79 season.
              Hi, I'm RAH and I'm a Benaholic.-rah

Comment

• Was before my time, but

Comment

• Week 8

Code:
                  Rank   Team               W-L-T     Pct Pts Last Week Wv Mvs 
                  1.  Flubber's Folly       37-15-12 .672 86    8-0-0    4  25 
                  2.  Road Kill             34-21-9  .602 77    2-5-1    9  13 
                  3.  Ice Hawks             31-19-14 .594 76    4-3-1    6   1 
                  4.  Blaine's Bruisers     34-23-7  .586 75    6-1-1   10   2 
                  5.  Malicious Pacifists   33-22-9  .586 75    5-2-1    5  11 
                  6.  Haunted House Boos    28-18-18 .578 74    7-1-0    3   6 
                  7.  Derelique My Balls    33-25-6  .563 72    3-4-1   11   4 
                  8.  The Pantless Pirates  26-27-11 .492 63    4-2-2   12  16 
                  9.  Matthew Modines       22-29-13 .445 57    1-6-1   13   6 
                  10. Kanadiens             19-30-15 .414 53    3-4-1    2   - 
                  11. CrONoS_QC             21-35-8  .391 50    1-7-0   14   2 
                  12. Televised Hawks       18-33-13 .383 49    4-3-1    8   2 
                  13. Siddiqui Storm        17-36-11 .352 45    2-4-2    7   1 
                  14. Calamitous Intent     18-38-8  .344 44    0-8-0    1   1
                  (\__/)
                  (='.'=)
                  (")_(") This is Bunny. Copy and paste bunny into your signature to help him gain world domination.

Comment

• at not being in last place
                    12-17-10 Mohamed Bouazizi NEVER FORGET
                    Stadtluft Macht Frei
                    Killing it is the new killing it
                    Ultima Ratio Regum

Comment

• Read latest breaking news, updates, and headlines. Calgary Herald offers information on latest national and international events & more.

Media just as guilty as Avery, says Sutter

Reporters blamed for enabling Stars' pest

Sickened as he was by Sean Avery's antics, Darryl Sutter still had enough bile left over for another guilty party.

The media.

When asked Wednesday about the behaviour of the Dallas Stars' pest, Sutter fired back at those standing in front of him.

"You know what? Put it to bed,'' snorted the Calgary Flames general manager, the day after a crass comment by Avery got him suspended indefinitely by the National Hockey League.

The veteran forward is scheduled to sit down with NHL commissioner Gary Bettman today.

"You guys cover hockey. It's supposed to be the sports page. If you guys want to cover that stuff, go ahead.''

Speaking of stories done on Avery in advance of his arrival for Tuesday's match in Calgary, Sutter continued his rant.

"It's been pretty disgusting for three days, actually,'' he said. "The Dallas Stars come to town . . . two of the best spokesmen in the league, other than a couple of our guys, are Mike Modano and Marty Turco, and I didn't see their picture or hear a story about them.

"So you guys aren't really covering hockey.''

A reporter asked Sutter if that diversion was because Avery had "hijacked'' the spotlight with his controversial stunt. The crude remark -- made in reference to his ex-girlfriend and Flames defenceman Dion Phaneuf's current girlfriend, Elisha Cuthbert -- was delivered in the middle of the visitors' dressing room after Tuesday's morning skate.

"I guess if he called a meeting and you all gathered, then good,'' said Sutter. "No comment on it. It's disgusting.''

The theory of media as enabler is nothing new. And Avery, an attention-seeker par excellence, loves headlines. Big, bold ones.

So if Avery was ignored by reporters, would his act dry up?

"He'd probably start a website or something,'' said Flames tough-guy Andre Roy, "so he can still say his own stuff.''

Roy did go on to absolve reporters of blame.

"I mean, you guys have a job to do . . . you've got to talk to most of the guys during the course of a season,'' he said. "When he called you over, you probably thought he was going to say something about the game. But then he goes and says something about personal life?

"But that's Sean Avery. He's a dum-dum.''

Roy then chuckled.

"But maybe you can stop talking (to Avery), even if he gets a hat trick,'' said Roy. "Just leave him in the corner and don't even mention him. That would be the right thing to do with this guy because he definitely needs attention. That's what he's looking for.''

Flames defenceman Cory Sarich agreed.

"I think he's definitely blown out of proportion,'' said Sarich. "I don't even like to comment on the guy because I don't think he deserves the media time.''

The burning question now, of course, is the appropriate punishment. What is it?

Is his conduct as bad as drilling someone head-first into the boards? ...Or is it worse?

"I don't know if you can compare physical actions with verbal actions,'' said Sarich. "A hit from behind out on the ice is definitely a lot more dangerous than a few words said. But again, there's no place for the things that have been said.''

The players are as curious as anyone. After all, getting suspended for a comment is nearly unprecedented.

"It'll be interesting, what path they take,'' said Roy. "Because it's not about a blow to the head, a knee, a cross-check. I've been suspended -- I left the penalty box, I pushed a referee -- but it's nothing like this. Obviously, it's a different situation.''

What would be Avery's ban if Roy was in charge?

"Life. Get him out of here,'' said Roy. "I can't stand that guy. A lot of guys can't. Just suspend him indefinitely and leave it like that. Wait till the end of the year, go from there.

"This probably went around the world, eh? And the league wants to have that clean look. It's the National Hockey League and they don't want to look bad.''

Sarich applauded the league's prompt response. Only hours after Avery's 25-second sound bite reached the airwaves, he'd been drummed out.

"You might as well try to nip it before it gets out of control,'' said Sarich. "It's got to be on the individual's shoulders, too, to make the right decisions.

"I know you can take diversity classes . . . and there's lots of other people to talk to and there's lot of product available to players, on how to act in the right way. It's upon the individual to take it and run with it and do the right thing and respect your teammates.''

Comment

• Asher

You may end up being a good beneficiary of my inattention this week. So far I didn't play some skaters that could have played without bumping anyone else that was actually playing . THat was just stupid and cost me 1 or 2 in all but one of the offensive categories

THEN -- I didn't check the projected starters stuff so I lost out on a win and .935 save night.

What right does work have to be MESSING up my pool ?!!

It seems quite lkely that these errors will cost me a category of two.

So asher-- before you can thank me-- 'you're welcome'

Comment

• My inattention kills me every week. I'd be in first place if I paid more attention.

Comment

• Still #1 in Auction

And your excuses for my kicking your ass is for nothing, you won goalie stats anyway.

Comment

• Originally posted by Asher
                              Still #1 in Auction

And your excuses for my kicking your ass is for nothing, you won goalie stats anyway.
                              Not for long. We play each other in the auction league this week with only 5 points difference. Should be a good ass-kicking by me game.
                              Former President, Vice-president and Foreign Minister of the Apolyton Civ2-Democracy Games as 123john321

Comment

• There's a reason why you're in my rear view mirror. Get used to it.

Comment

Working...
                                X