No announcement yet.

AHL- Apolyton Hockey League 08/09: Preseason

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• So what kind of budget are we looking at for the auction league?
    "The French caused the war [Persian Gulf war, 1991]" - Ned
    "you people who bash Bush have no appreciation for one of the great presidents in our history." - Ned
    "I wish I had gay sex in the boy scouts" - Dissident

Comment

• No idea, probably $260 if it's traditional baseball auction level. Does it matter?
      <Reverend> IRC is just multiplayer notepad.
      I like your SNOOPY POSTER! - While you Wait quote.

Comment

• Just wanted to start doing some thinking about how much I might bid on any given player. I know you can just use a formula instead, but I prefer using hard numbers.
        "you people who bash Bush have no appreciation for one of the great presidents in our history." - Ned

Comment

• Originally posted by snoopy369
          No idea, probably $260 if it's traditional baseball auction level. Does it matter?
          I would think any amount that allows a bit of flexibility would be good. (ie 50 bucks wouldn't allow enough flexibility) If a buck is the minimum and we are each bidding for 14 players I would think any budget at or over a hundred bucks sounds dandy

so 260 sounds like as good a number as any.

so lets see --260 divided by 14 equals an average of 18.57 a player average--
          You don't get to 300 losses without being a pretty exceptional goaltender.-- Ben Kenobi speaking of Roberto Luongo

Comment

• Originally posted by Kontiki
            Just wanted to start doing some thinking about how much I might bid on any given player. I know you can just use a formula instead, but I prefer using hard numbers.
            I was doing soem thinking on this but I was more figuring things as a "percentage of budget"-- I actually think this could be fascinating since you really need to be tracking whoever has not come up yet and set aside enough to get them but at the same time if someone else has more and nabs them, you could be left with lots of auction dollars and nothing but scraps

I actually expect I will be really bad at this but I think I will enjoy the auction immensely. Does someone bust the bank to get their favorite two players? What players are a steal at 5 bucks??
            Last edited by Flubber; September 11, 2008, 12:44.
            You don't get to 300 losses without being a pretty exceptional goaltender.-- Ben Kenobi speaking of Roberto Luongo

Comment

• I fully expect to get my ass kicked in the auction. I'm sure it will be fun, but I'm looking more forward to the regular Yahoo draft.

Comment

• Since it's on ESPN there's no ability to 'set' the amount, it's whatever ESPN has. 260 rings a bell in my mind for some reason.

Comment

• Auction strategy:
                  1. Come in with a strategy - types of players you want, and focus on them.
                  2. Come in with several sleepers who you can get in the late rounds for cheap - and recognize when is the time to nominate them (not too early, but not too late).
                  3. Adjust your strategy based on the bidding - for example in Baseball, one of my strategy elements was "pay for the top pitchers" (similar to "pay for the top goalies"). I paid for the top three pitchers. The next pitchers below them went for half their value, and pitching turned out to be where the values were. :doh:
                  4. Recognize if someone else is using a similar strategy, and if so, adjust or get out of yours - you don't want to get stuck in a bidding war for the same players.

Comment

• So are we running the auction league through ESPN, not just for the auction?
                    "The issue is there are still many people out there that use religion as a crutch for bigotry and hate. Like Ben."
                    Ben Kenobi: "That means I'm doing something right. "

Comment

• Just curious snoopy- once a player is nominated is there a set time period in which to bid or is it something like -- the auction closes if there are no bids for 20 seconds

Comment

• Originally posted by Asher
                        So are we running the auction league through ESPN, not just for the auction?
                        I think that has not been determined-- WE were going to run the auction at ESPN but the null accounts to get to 10 mean we would have to reform the league without those teams . I'd be happy at yahoo since I am familiar with it and it would be convenient to have it all in one place but will go wherever

Comment

• We will probably NOT run the auction league through ESPN, I suspect - it looks like the preference is to use Yahoo. That's up in the air, though. We won't use the ACTUAL auction league, as it only has 10 teams as an option.

Comment

• Originally posted by Flubber
                            Just curious snoopy- once a player is nominated is there a set time period in which to bid or is it something like -- the auction closes if there are no bids for 20 seconds
                            No idea. We'll find out I suspect there's a set time per player once nominated, but it could be '5 seconds after last bid' (hopefully not 20 ... that would be awful). If I have time i'll do a mock auction before hand to see how it works.

Comment

• OH and snoopy how about theses guys as nominees for the null accounts

Rankings Offense
                              Player Action Opp: 9/12 Owner O-Rank Rank G A +/- PPG PPA
                              Curtis Glencross
                              (Cgy - LW) FA 324 290 15 10 8 1 1
                              Matt Stajan
                              (Tor - C) FA 325 315 16 17 -11 2 6
                              Glen Metropolit
                              (Phi - C) FA 327 312 11 22 -3 1 2
                              Sam Gagner
                              (Edm - C) FA 328 299 13 36 -21 4 12
                              Ruslan Fedotenko
                              (Pit - LW) FA 329 323 16 17 -9 8 1
                              Mark Parrish
                              (Min - RW) NA FA 330 336 16 14 2 7 5
                              Hal Gill
                              (Pit - D) FA 331 314 3 21 6 0 0
                              Jim Vandermeer
                              (Cgy - D) FA 333 264 3 14 6 2 1
                              Sean Bergenheim
                              (NYI - LW) FA 334 304 10 12 -3 1 1
                              Maxim Afinogenov
                              (Buf - RW) FA 335 419 10 18 -16 1 5
                              Rostislav Olesz
                              (Fla - LW) FA 336 322 14 12 3 5 4
                              Kevin Bieksa
                              (Van - D) FA 337 426 2 10 -11 1 5
                              Trevor Daley
                              (Dal - D) FA 338 289 5 19 -1 0 5
                              Aaron Voros
                              (NYR - LW) FA 339 307 7 7 -7 0 1
                              Chris Gratton
                              (TB - C) FA 340 350 10 11 -7 1 3
                              Georges Laraque
                              (Mon - RW) FA 341 301 4 9 0 0 0
                              Nigel Dawes
                              (NYR - LW) FA 343 319 14 15 11 3 1
                              Francois Beauchemin
                              (Anh - D) FA 344 346 2 19 -9 0 7
                              Filip Kuba
                              (Ott - D) FA 345 338 6 25 -8 2 9
                              Tom Kostopoulos
                              (Mon - RW) FA 346 309 7 6 -3 0 0
                              Erik Johnson
                              (StL - D) FA 348 328 5 28 -9 4 14
                              Toni Lydman
                              (Buf - D) FA 349 302 4 22 1 3 0
                              Sergei Kostitsyn
                              (Mon - LW) FA 350 326 9 18 9 3 2
                              Martin Hanzal
                              (Pho - C) FA 351 333 8 27 -7 1 11
                              Mike Commodore
                              (Cls - D)

I just basically clicked down through the yahoo player rankings until I was in the 300s on the rankings and then picked a page and cut and pasted it

Comment

• I can see a few guys from that list that might actually make the draft as someone's choices. Might want to go lower still.

Comment

Working...
                                X