AHL- Apolyton Hockey League 08/09: Preseason

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by snoopy369
    Hmmm, if NYE doesn't have time for the league, then we have 8 managers, so perhaps we should just go with that, and not use ESPN to manage the auction. It will make the auction take significantly longer (hopefully not TOO significantly longer, but it will definitely be a longer process) and it will be more error-prone, but such is life.

If we do it this way, what are our options as far as chat programs? Does everyone have MSN, GTalk, Yahoo IM, AIM, which? (I have all of the above, of course)
    I repeat my view that if this auction tool is so great, we should create 2 NULL accounts for the draft just so we can use it . heck I could run them-- When their turn comes up I would propose a player no one would want ( so as not to have any advantage or use the null accounts for anything) and then bid a buck. heck I could even preselect the players the dummy accounts would use.

Once we have our teams we can scrap the auction league at ESPN (since the NULL teams would play automatically I presume )and then reform our league as an 8 team league at yahoo, espn or wherever with the teams being entered as if we had done an offline draft.

My thinking is simple

1. Getting everyone together is the key and a shorter auction with good tools is preferred.

2. We have more than two weeks after the auction before the season starts so there is ample time to input teams into whatever we want-- I would volunteer for this task if its much work. As long as the lists of teams were saved we would be fine

What is wrong with this plan? Snoopy I can send you two more email accounts to be invited into the auction and I would sign them up
    You don't get to 300 losses without being a pretty exceptional goaltender.-- Ben Kenobi speaking of Roberto Luongo

Comment

• Can we rename the dummy accounts Wiglaf and CivNation?

Then we can laugh at their placement in the Sports Record Books.
      "The issue is there are still many people out there that use religion as a crutch for bigotry and hate. Like Ben."
      Ben Kenobi: "That means I'm doing something right. "

Comment

• Hmm, we could do that. Send me two more email accounts. Sounds like a good idea.
        <Reverend> IRC is just multiplayer notepad.
        I like your SNOOPY POSTER! - While you Wait quote.

Comment

• Originally posted by notyoueither
          Cavalcadeus has gotten back to me on his invite. He's been away. He would play, but does not want to inconvenience anyone (odd number of managers and bye weeks).

I would like to invite him in regardless of odd numbers. To me, more managers is better. It is a casual league, and there would be more people interested in discussions.

Besides, once he joins, maybe we get another.

Any opinions?
          My view is invite whomever wants to play. As for byes-- I'd rather not but one or two a season isnot the end of the world-- The other option of course would be to even the numbers regardless

WE could

1. allow someone a second team OR
          2. create a scrub team -- make it up of undrafted players OR allow each manager a turn drafting for the scrubs (have it draft last so it doesn't get Ovechkin or Crosbie LOL). Then it could be actively managed (rotating managers -- we all take a turn ) or just have its 10 players as its set lineup

With any care at all we could end up with a team that would win some categories

Maybe its a crazy idea but there are options to byes
          You don't get to 300 losses without being a pretty exceptional goaltender.-- Ben Kenobi speaking of Roberto Luongo

Comment

• A bye is better than a scrub or a second team for one person, I think ...

Comment

• I could always run a fun team. My other leagues do that, but the roster count is smaller.

For instance, we've had "Open Mike Night" teams which is all players named Mike/Michael only...
              "The issue is there are still many people out there that use religion as a crutch for bigotry and hate. Like Ben."

Comment

• Originally posted by Asher
                Does anyone actually support a season-based cap on player movements?
                There were a few people that supported restrictions but I don't think we specified season or weekly ever. NYE indicated that there was support for it but I didn't look back to tally up the views-- But there were at least 3 or 4 that supported restrictions of some sort. Maybe there was more I just don't recall

Comment

A bye is better than a scrub or a second team for one person, I think ...
                  Why? I can see why the second team is a problem but whats wrong with a drafted scrub team? It could be a bit of fun seeing what a team looks like if we all had a random turn to draft one player for it--

Comment

• If we want a phantom roster to even things out, it might be most fun to have it filled with goons, since we do not use PiMs. It would be a team that all could cheer for as they scrape up a couple goals... a month.

We just need to set a roster in advance and maybe have one of our more nimble computer user/managers, like Asher, guide the squad through the draft.

Ray Emery would definitely have to be one of the goalies, assuming he is available to be selected. The other could be any of the least likely starters out there, like Clouts maybe.

Only provision I would want would be that if any manager posts he wants a player off the phantom roster, the phantom team immediately gives the player up. Like say someone thought Danny Carcillo could help his roster. The player shoudl be made available on a first post, first served basis.
                    (\__/)
                    (='.'=)
                    (")_(") This is Bunny. Copy and paste bunny into your signature to help him gain world domination.

Comment

• Alas, Emery is a starter in Russia now.

The idea of a goon team is a fun one.

Comment

• The only problem with the scrub team is in an unbalanced schedule, some one or more teams will get extra games against that team that others do not get.

Byes may be better.
                        (\__/)
                        (='.'=)
                        (")_(") This is Bunny. Copy and paste bunny into your signature to help him gain world domination.

Comment

• I strongly prefer a bye to a scrub team or any other non-player-controlled team. It goes without saying that one player controlling two teams is not acceptable either.

Comment

I strongly prefer a bye to a scrub team or any other non-player-controlled team. It goes without saying that one player controlling two teams is not acceptable either.
                            The problem I have with byes is with 13 teams in a what, 23 week schedule doesn't that mean 10 teams get two byes-- Isn't that equally "unbalancing"-- How is awarding 4 or 6 or 8 points for a bye any different than actually playing out the week against a perceived weaker team

Oh and my conception of a "scrubs" team doesn't have to be a crap team-- Instead call it team Apolyton-- put them in the last draft position and have the managers select for them in the same order as our draft order ( so in all the early rounds the drafters next pick is a long ways away and they will have an incentive to draft well to deny a good player to the rest of the field)

The Apolyton team could actually be reasonably good--Allow managers to take turns managing it in some random order (no trades allowed LOL--) and it could be competitive-- Each week the temporary manager would try to win wouldn't they?

IMHO it would be no more unbalancing than if we had 16 teams and you played 7 teams twice and 9 teams once or whatever-- someone might get an easier schedule-- I just don't see why we would assume Team Apolyton would necessarily be an easy touch-- Have it draft 14 players and if people draft honestly it would be a fairly good team

I know I come up with some crazy ideas but I could see a team apolyton as a lot of fun-- heck I would volunteer to manage it if some people couldn't be bothered on their week to do so (no moves allowed for Team apolyton though )

Think this through== how is playing against "team apolyton" worse than getting some fixed number of points for a bye ( or do they just look at winning percentage?)

This will all be rendered moot when the 14th manager shows up but I think it could be fun--I saw and accept the criticisms regarding a second team for someone or a team of bums-- so make it a real team-- TEAM APOLYTON
                            Last edited by Flubber; September 10, 2008, 03:04.

Comment

• Originally posted by notyoueither
                              The only problem with the scrub team is in an unbalanced schedule, some one or more teams will get extra games against that team that others do not get.

Byes may be better.
                              How are byes handled? Since some managers would get one and others two on the season, I was curious. Do they ignore them and do placements by winning percentage or is a certain number of points awarded?

Snoopy-- I think I understood your reasons for preferring byes as opposed to scrubs or a second team. Would the same objections apply to the Team APOLYTON idea? With special rules about trades and moves for TEAM APOLYTON I don't see abuse potential and I would assume that everyone would manage to win to see rivals lose ground

Comment

• The draft is sunday at 12h00?
                                bleh

Comment

Working...
                                X