No announcement yet.

AHL- Apolyton Hockey League 08/09: Preseason

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Top players usually go at the start of an auction, it's something you should be prepared to deal with. Not necessarily EVERY top player, but some of them at least. All it takes is one person to want to put a top player out there that they don't want to take, after all, and usually there's several people who want that.
    <Reverend> IRC is just multiplayer notepad.
    I like your SNOOPY POSTER! - While you Wait quote.

Comment

• Originally posted by snoopy369
      Top players usually go at the start of an auction, it's something you should be prepared to deal with. Not necessarily EVERY top player, but some of them at least. All it takes is one person to want to put a top player out there that they don't want to take, after all, and usually there's several people who want that.
      I expected good players to go early -- But a BPAE for two null accounts mean that it is literally impossible for an elite player to be held back for long even if all the real managers wanted to do so. So the null accounts impact the draft materially in that it is impossible for any single elite player to last beyond a couple of nomination rounds-- (Real managers would nominate some for sure and the null accounts ENSURE that none of the top ranked are left for later rounds)-- So the strategy of holding a bit more cash for really good players in later rounds is curtailed a fair bit

Thats my last comment on this but I am a little sad that it limites the way the auction might evolve
      You don't get to 300 losses without being a pretty exceptional goaltender.-- Ben Kenobi speaking of Roberto Luongo

Comment

• I agree with Flubber on this, I haven't seen a good reason not to choose players for the Auction draft from the bottom of the list (and flubber has made sever valid points/reasons for doing so).

Regardless, not worth spending a whole lot more time on as whomever they are should be a moot point at the end of the day.

As Asher (on of the more active posters) only just recently realized that the auction draft is this Sunday (along with the regular draft) is there a chance that others who have said they would be in it are not aware that it is in 2 days? Might be good to confirm here now if you are reading this and still willing and available for Sunday (it will really screw things up if someone doesn't show I suspect).

Lastly, when I created my account, I used the name "John Johnson" (and the birthdate Jan 1, 1950) not realizing that I would be "Team Johnson". I have since changed my ESPN name to Sparrow Hawk, but can I drop and get re-invited so that my name shows up correctly?

/me
        "Clearly I'm missing the thread some of where the NFL actually is." - Ben Kenobi on his NFL knowledge

Comment

• You can fully edit your team name and even your user name once you log into ESPN. No need to drop and rejoin.
          "The French caused the war [Persian Gulf war, 1991]" - Ned
          "you people who bash Bush have no appreciation for one of the great presidents in our history." - Ned
          "I wish I had gay sex in the boy scouts" - Dissident

Comment

• Thanks Kontiki, I had already tried to find where I could do that (unsuccessfully) but you convinced me to go back and try again, and it worked this time. I wouldn't call it user friendly, but it worked at least.

/me
            "Clearly I'm missing the thread some of where the NFL actually is." - Ben Kenobi on his NFL knowledge

Comment

• Can someone give me a recap of the rules for the auction draft and confirm the times.

Thanks
              Golfing since 67

Comment

• Auction league

Snoopy-- you ate still showing GAA as a category-- It won't matter if we plan to move the league anyway after the auction but I just wanted to be certain that the goalie categories are SV%, Wins and Shutouts

second -- I haven't seen an invite for me to run a null account-- have you just registered and will run them yourself-- I'm fine either way but just wanted to know if I needed to do something
                You don't get to 300 losses without being a pretty exceptional goaltender.-- Ben Kenobi speaking of Roberto Luongo

Comment

• Double post
                  Last edited by Flubber; September 13, 2008, 20:29.

Comment

• Are we going to try to co-ordinate some sort of IM system for these things?
                    "The French caused the war [Persian Gulf war, 1991]" - Ned
                    "you people who bash Bush have no appreciation for one of the great presidents in our history." - Ned
                    "I wish I had gay sex in the boy scouts" - Dissident

Comment

• Originally posted by Tingkai
                      Can someone give me a recap of the rules for the auction draft and confirm the times.

Thanks
                      Auction draft is at 10 eastern tomorrow (8am mountain)

I think the regular draft is two hours later

Comment

• I'm so ****ing confused.

1) Are we hosting the ESPN auction draft on some ESPN tool? Or is it via IM? If it's via IM what're the rules?
                        2) Are we hosting the actual auction league on Yahoo? If so, what are the categories and roster positions open?
                        "The issue is there are still many people out there that use religion as a crutch for bigotry and hate. Like Ben."
                        Ben Kenobi: "That means I'm doing something right. "

Comment

• I'm back from Stratford, and ready to go!
                          "My nation is the world, and my religion is to do good." --Thomas Paine
                          "The subject of onanism is inexhaustable." --Sigmund Freud

Comment

• Originally posted by Asher
                            I'm so ****ing confused.

1) Are we hosting the ESPN auction draft on some ESPN tool? Or is it via IM? If it's via IM what're the rules?
                            2) Are we hosting the actual auction league on Yahoo? If so, what are the categories and roster positions open?

My understanding is this

1. We do the auction draft live at ESPN-- sign in on their tool/site-- snoopy invited you -- and be there for the draft-- he has indicated that its a really good tool to use that keeps track of budget and whatnot

2. that once we select the teams we will then import these as teams at yahoo and play exactly the same way at yahoo asin the draft league-- Roster, stats categories etc should all be the same as at our regular draft league except I think snoopy added a bench spot

Comment

• Otherthan that all I know about the auction is that

1. we should all have a set budget to spend
                              2. The site randomizes a draft order and people then nominate players for auction in that order so the very best players may be but are not necessarily the first auctioned

3. I am not sure how the timing of the thing works but assume all will be explained when we start-- I looked around for help tools on the ESPN site but didn't see much and will have to look again
                              Last edited by Flubber; September 13, 2008, 20:20.

Comment

• Settings at ESPN

League Manager Joe Matise
                                League Name AHL Auction
                                Privacy Private
                                Scoring Type Head to Head Each Category
                                Teams in League 10
                                Game Type Custom
                                OWNER INFO
                                Invitation Information 8 Invites Sent / 7 Joined
                                ROSTER
                                Current Roster Size: 15
                                Total Starters: 10
                                Total On Bench: 5 (1 IR) POSITIONS STARTERS MAXIMUM
                                Center (C) 2 No Limit
                                Left Wing (LW) 2 No Limit
                                Right Wing (RW) 2 No Limit
                                Defense (D) 2 No Limit
                                Goalie (G) 2 4
                                Bench (BE) 5 N/A
                                Injured Reserve (IR) 1 N/A
                                My only question was he has been showing GAA as a goalie category-- I just want it clarified that the actual league is using shutouts as in the regular draft-- Other than that the settings at ESPN are irrelevant if we plan to bring the players/teams into yahoo to actually run the thing

And asher I don't know about IM-- perhaps the draft auction tool allows banter in its own interface-- If not some IM program would be good to have

Comment

Working...
                                X