AHL- Apolyton Hockey League 08/09: Preseason

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Flubber

How are byes handled? Since some managers would get one and others two on the season, I was curious. Do they ignore them and do placements by winning percentage or is a certain number of points awarded?

Snoopy-- I think I understood your reasons for preferring byes as opposed to scrubs or a second team. Would the same objections apply to the Team APOLYTON idea? With special rules about trades and moves for TEAM APOLYTON I don't see abuse potential and I would assume that everyone would manage to win to see rivals lose ground
    Everyone will play the same number of games with byes inserted to even out the schedule.

I don't like the idea of team Apolyton.
    (\__/)
    (='.'=)
    (")_(") This is Bunny. Copy and paste bunny into your signature to help him gain world domination.

Comment

• Originally posted by CrONoS
      The draft is sunday at 12h00?
      Yep. 12 Eastern. I hope that works well for you. It was the only day and time that fit all the rest of us.
      (\__/)
      (='.'=)
      (")_(") This is Bunny. Copy and paste bunny into your signature to help him gain world domination.

Comment

• A bye means you don't win OR lose - you just don't affect your percentage at all.

"Team Apolyton" means you win 100% of the games that week, presumably, or close to it, EVERY week - which is far more unbalancing than neither winning or losing.
        <Reverend> IRC is just multiplayer notepad.
        I like your SNOOPY POSTER! - While you Wait quote.

Comment

• Originally posted by notyoueither

Everyone will play the same number of games with byes inserted to even out the schedule.
          Ok so we will have either 1 or 3 byes in a given week so I'm guessing everyone gets two byes

So that means I would play 21 times total against 13 managers

So 8 managers I play twice and five I play once ? Fair enough-- I don't like byes but a week or two off isn't that bad

Originally posted by notyoueither

I don't like the idea of team Apolyton.
          I didn't hold out much hope for its adoption

-- What don't you like? Are you assuming the team would be a weak pushover?
          You don't get to 300 losses without being a pretty exceptional goaltender.-- Ben Kenobi speaking of Roberto Luongo

Comment

• Originally posted by snoopy369
            A bye means you don't win OR lose - you just don't affect your percentage at all.
            As NYE explains it we will get two byes so percentage or points -- it all works-- I wasn't considering the option of giving everyone the second bye

Originally posted by snoopy369

"Team Apolyton" means you win 100% of the games that week, presumably, or close to it, EVERY week - which is far more unbalancing than neither winning or losing.

I seriously doubt that-- The 100% type scenario only happens if people sabotage the team when its their turn to draft. If the people picking for Team Apolyton act rationally, they should pick the best available player they can since its pretty unlikely that their choice would be available 14 picks later when they get to choose for their own team. Heck with picks 1.14 and 2.1 any honest pickers could get 2 kick-ass goalies or two very reliable scorers

I simply don't accept your premise that the team is necessarily weak-- In fact I would bet that such a team would not finish last in the league unless drafters intentionally sabotaged it ( managers would have to have the right to pick replacements for anyone on IR). My thinking is that the collective would do better than at least one of the individuals . And I say this knowing that everyone will keep their hidden gems for their own teams.

No big deal in any event -- I just thought it would be a fun variation and a way to spice things up a bit
            You don't get to 300 losses without being a pretty exceptional goaltender.-- Ben Kenobi speaking of Roberto Luongo

Comment

• NYE

Can you soon do the draft order?

I'm thinking its easy to do it so that it can cover off if a 14th joins up -- Random manager list with a random empty slot (s) put against a list of the numbers 1-14 randomized right?

I was planning to do some draft prep tomorrow night or on Friday and knowing where I draft helps a lot. Or is it normal to find out at the draft itself.

OH and the only IM program I have ever used is just at Yahoo. BUt tell me if I need to set up somewhere else to do the draft.

Last question-- what do we do if someone doesn't show up at the draft at all or late ? Are they BPAYed? or if you are not there at right at the start are you out of the league?

Comment

• Ok

I see now that it seems that yahoo randomizes the drafters-- I idi find a sequence generator though

This page allows you to generate randomized sequences of integers using true randomness, which for many purposes is better than the pseudo-random number algorithms typically used in computer programs.

Comment

• For live Yahoo drafts, if someone doesn't attend it'll use their pre-ranked player lists to draft. This defaults to Yahoo's list if they don't populate one.
                  "The issue is there are still many people out there that use religion as a crutch for bigotry and hate. Like Ben."
                  Ben Kenobi: "That means I'm doing something right. "

Comment

• KH is joining us? Sweet.
                    "The French caused the war [Persian Gulf war, 1991]" - Ned
                    "you people who bash Bush have no appreciation for one of the great presidents in our history." - Ned
                    "I wish I had gay sex in the boy scouts" - Dissident

Comment

• That does look like KH. I mistook that team for cronos.

That gives us 13 teams when cronos joins.

Is cronos going to join?
                      (\__/)
                      (='.'=)

Comment

• Originally posted by notyoueither

Yep. 12 Eastern. I hope that works well for you. It was the only day and time that fit all the rest of us.
                        I don't think I'll be able. I have something planned, that can't be moved. Anyway; I'll bring my laptop with me, and If I'm able to be free at 12h00 I'll do my draft, otherwise I will resign.
                        bleh

Comment

• I registered
                          bleh

Comment

• ... we don't have any poool ?
                            bleh

Comment

• Did you want to skinnydip?
                              "The issue is there are still many people out there that use religion as a crutch for bigotry and hate. Like Ben."
                              Ben Kenobi: "That means I'm doing something right. "

Comment

• {Multiple Post Mode = 1}

If I'm not there, does yahoo will do a random draft?
                                bleh

Comment

Working...
                                X