• Watching the Phillies celebration...

Chase Utley just followed up his All Star Game gaffe by saying:

"World Champions. World ****ing Champions!"

On live TV.
    "Stuie has the right idea" - Japher
    "I trust Stuie and all involved." - SlowwHand
    "Stuie is right...." - Guynemer

Comment

• The AL and NL ROY's were unsurprising: Evan Longoria from the AL and Geovany Soto from NL. Longo was the first unanimous AL ROY since Nomar Garciaparra in 1999 and Soto took all but one 1st vote (someone gave Joey Votto of the Reds one 1st place vote).

The NL Cy Young was shaping up to be a close race, and Tim Lincecum (my fav) ended up winning it by a comfortable margin over Brandon Webb and Johan Santana:

Tim Lincecum is the National League Cy Young Award winner, taking home pitching's highest honor in his second major league season.
      “I give you a new commandment, that you love one another. Just as I have loved you, you also should love one another. By this everyone will know that you are my disciples, if you have love for one another.”
      - John 13:34-35 (NRSV)

Comment

• How'd I miss this!!

Holliday to Oakland for Carlos Gonzales, Greg Smith, and Huston Street. The A's got Gonzales and Smith from deals last year.
        “I give you a new commandment, that you love one another. Just as I have loved you, you also should love one another. By this everyone will know that you are my disciples, if you have love for one another.”

Comment

• Whaa???? That's an odd deal. I do'nt think I understand it at all, for either team...
          <Reverend> IRC is just multiplayer notepad.
          I like your SNOOPY POSTER! - While you Wait quote.

Comment

• I hate Billy Beane Lew Wolff who undoubtedly pressured Beane into making this trade to garner support for moving the team to Fremont, which began to falter due to last season's horrible attendence. He sent away two of our best prospects and -despite his troubles last season- a very good closer for one very good but very expensive player that we will only be able to hold onto for two seasons. And honestly I don't see the A's making the playoffs this season after trading away all our pitching.
            Last edited by EPW; November 12, 2008, 03:23.
            "

Comment

• Holliday, though, if he leaves to FA gains Beane 2 high draft picks. So its not like they get nothing if they can't resign him.

And I think Street was a bit expendable after Devine appeared to have turned the corner last season.

Comment

• Originally posted by snoopy369
                Whaa???? That's an odd deal. I do'nt think I understand it at all, for either team...
                Well - for the Rockies, they got rid of a Boras player.

For the A's... they got rid of some decent players.

P.S. - Speaking of Boras, the Phils have one more year of Ryan Madson - maybe we should trade him while his stock is up.

Comment

• Well, the A's have usually done very well by their deals. If (when?) Holliday leaves, they get 2 compensatory draft picks. Street, it is likely, would have walked (he lost his closers job last year), Smith isn't really all that special, and the centerpiece is Gonzales.

Comment

• And in the not-so-shocking news department, Cliff Lee wins the AL Cy Young. Two great pitchers from losing teams this year. Usually great pitchers from teams that are having bad years get overlooked. Glad it didn't happen this year.

And he was a big cog in my Fantasy Championship

Comment

• Yankees acquire Swisher from the White Sox (as well as P Texeira) for Betamit and two minor league pitchers (Marquez and Nunez)

The New York Yankees have acquired center fielder-first baseman Nick Swisher in a trade with the Chicago White Sox, a baseball source tells ESPN.com.

Comment

• Originally posted by Imran Siddiqui
                        And in the not-so-shocking news department, Cliff Lee wins the AL Cy Young. Two great pitchers from losing teams this year. Usually great pitchers from teams that are having bad years get overlooked. Glad it didn't happen this year.

And he was a big cog in my Fantasy Championship
                        That's why I was pleasantly surprised that Tim Lincecum of the SF Giants won the NL Cy Young.
                        And indeed there will be time To wonder, "Do I dare?" and, "Do I dare?". t s eliot

Comment

• Originally posted by Imran Siddiqui
                          Well, the A's have usually done very well by their deals. If (when?) Holliday leaves, they get 2 compensatory draft picks.
                          Good point on the draft picks. I almost wish the Phils would let Moyer walk - he might be considered a type A free agent with the year he had. Nothing like two decent draft picks to replace a dinosaur.

Comment

• Interesting trade by the Sox... I don't mind losing Swisher, though his (positive) affect on the clubhouse is not to be underestimated. I imagine this means more playing time for Brian Anderson, Jerry Owens, or ... random guy signed by or traded for by Kenny Williams. More speed

Also interesting from that article:

Nick Swisher, White Sox .219
                            Daric Barton, A's .226
                            Michael Bourn, Astros .229
                            Jack Cust, A's .231
                            Mark Ellis, A's .233
                            Rickie Weeks, Brewers .234
                            Kevin Millar, Orioles .234

That's a list of the players with 502+ at bats (qualifying for the batting title) with the lowest batting average. An awful lot of A's or former A's on that list... admittedly some (like Swish) have higher OBP and OPS, but it's still an awful lot of low BA's from the Athletics...

Comment

• Considering where they stood at the All-Star break, it's amazing that Konerko (.240) and Thome (.245) escaped that list.
                              Apolyton's Grim Reaper 2008, 2010 & 2011
                              RIP lest we forget... SG (2) and LaFayette -- Civ2 Succession Games Brothers-in-Arms

Comment

• Paulie probably didn't have 502 at bats, anyhow...

Comment

Working...
                                X