Snoopy
    EFF
    Imran
    Guy
    Stuie
    Sloww
    Berz
    Fist

Date: TBD (Post your acceptable times below - allow 4 (FOUR) hours for the auction. If it goes beyond that and someone(s) have to leave, we will do a closed auction for the rest of the players (submit list and bids, highest bidder for any given player gets him, run one player at a time in draft order to resolve bids that are identical). If 4 hours is too long we can drop it to 3, but I'd rather do 4 to be on the safe side. (We can also on-the-fly decide to do after a particular round as a closed auction, if it's down to everyone having $1/player left basically after round 22 or so as it usually is.)

My suggested time is GMT 18:00 (EST 1:00pm) March 16th (SUN), if everyone can make that i'd like to try that time; otherwise we can work it out based on when people can auction. We can do it earlier on sunday also, or on a different sunday (but I don't want to move it up by more than a week or down by more than a week, if possible); or on a saturday if needed (but I strongly prefer sunday).

It will be 6x6:
    OBP, SLG, R, RBI, SB, HR
    WHIP, ERA, W, K, SV, H

I'm not real happy with Holds as a category, but can't figure out a better way to deal with relievers. One option is to have one of the categories that's non-cumulative that (some) relievers do well in, such as K/BB or K/9 ... we could also replace K with K/9 or K/BB entirely, but we still need 6 categories overall. Suggestions?

Finally - what league to do. I suggest AL, as that's usually slightly more interesting, and we have more AL fans here than NL I believe; but actually I don't know everyone, so it may be the other way around. I count 3 AL fans and 2 NL, is that right?
    Last edited by snoopy369; February 13, 2008, 11:37.
    <Reverend> IRC is just multiplayer notepad.
    I like your SNOOPY POSTER! - While you Wait quote.

Innings pitched, for long relief as well as starters. Would that work?
    Life is not measured by the number of breaths you take, but by the moments that take your breath away.
    "Hating America is something best left to Mobius. He is an expert Yank hater.
    He also hates Texans and Australians, he does diversify." ~ Braindead

Comment

eh, I'll try an auction league

Comment

IP favors starters, which is not the point (IP for an average 'good' reliever: ~100. IP for an average starter: ~150.) G favors relievers more, but it's sort of a silly stat - as it has only a very small relevance to the quality of the player's work (you assume a better pitcher comes in more often, but that's not always true). It is a fairly predictable stat, which can be good and bad; it's almost too predictable (as opposed to Holds, which are somewhat less predictable).

Holds is probably the best stat to use, I just wish there were something better

Comment

yup, I dont wanna have to research long relievers, I'm just getting used to learning the set up men

is this a weekly roster change deal?

Comment

Yeah, weekly is the best thing to do I think. Also, I assume there's no interest in rotisserie scoring (as opposed to h2h)?

Comment

Either is fine with me.
              Life is not measured by the number of breaths you take, but by the moments that take your breath away.
              "Hating America is something best left to Mobius. He is an expert Yank hater.
              He also hates Texans and Australians, he does diversify." ~ Braindead

Comment

I like H-2-H, makes each week a new challenge. Roto doesn't really inspire much

Comment

Why AL- or NL-only?
                  "My nation is the world, and my religion is to do good." --Thomas Paine
                  "The subject of onanism is inexhaustable." --Sigmund Freud

Comment

Re: FBL: Auction League

Originally posted by snoopy369
                    My suggested time is GMT 18:00 (EST 1:00pm) March 16th (SUN)
                    That's fine with me. Count me in.

I'd keep the categories as they are. I like them.
                    No preference about H2H or rotisserie.

I believe you're making it one league only due to the small numer of partecipants I'd like it both leagues if we can somehow reach 12 players.

Comment

Auction leagues work better with only one league, because that makes strategy more relevant (which is the point of having an auction leauge - that 'draft' strategy is much more interesting, and more doable, as there are virtually no positional effects). If you can get Pat Burrell as a third OF for $1, it makes the decision to spend your money on pitchers too easy. On the other hand, if your choice is to spend $45 on Johan Santana and then your $1 OF is a platoon OF with a career .285 OBP and maybe, maybe 20 HRs if you're lucky, that decision is much more important

In a draft league, conversely, it's in some ways better to have a full ML league, because the positional effect (1st drafting, versus 7th drafting) is so powerful, and there is significantly less ability to apply strategy in a draft league (not none certainly, but much less than in an auction league); and you're a lot less likely to get your sleepers than in an auction league, where you get them as long as you have the money to pay for them

Comment

Hmmm... is it possible to do it earlier on a Sunday?
                        “I give you a new commandment, that you love one another. Just as I have loved you, you also should love one another. By this everyone will know that you are my disciples, if you have love for one another.”
                        - John 13:34-35 (NRSV)

Comment

Re: Re: FBL: Auction League

Originally posted by Fistandantilus

That's fine with me. Count me in.

I'd keep the categories as they are. I like them.
                          No preference about H2H or rotisserie.

I believe you're making it one league only due to the small numer of partecipants I'd like it both leagues if we can somehow reach 12 players.
                          If we get it up to 12 I'll leave it up to a vote ... even at 12 single league generally still works well in auction, but I suppose I'd be okay with ML for 12+ players. It generally will increase the duration of the auction significantly (there will be more players that are heavily bid on, while in single league you have more 'sleepers' that only one or two people choose to bid on later on), but hopefully it won't increase it by that much.

Alternately we could increase the roster size somewhat and still do ML - add CI, MI, 4th OF, and two more pitchers, for example - and still have the depth-of-field. Again that would lengthen the auction (but not necessarily by as much as going to ML would - your later rounds are generally draft-like with most people just nominating for $1 and getting the player).

Comment

Originally posted by Imran Siddiqui
                            Hmmm... is it possible to do it earlier on a Sunday?
                            I'm fine with earlier... I assumed people would have church and whatnot and not want a 10am draft, but I don't mind earlier certainly (particularly if we end up all-ML and extended rosters).

Comment

Originally posted by snoopy369
                              I assumed people would have church...
                              I thought everyone at Apolyton was an atheist except Ben Kenobi.

Early Sunday is good for me. Or afternoon. Guess I'm flexible as long as it wraps up by around 5pm eastern.
                              "Stuie has the right idea" - Japher
                              "I trust Stuie and all involved." - SlowwHand
                              "Stuie is right...." - Guynemer

Comment

Working...
                              X