No announcement yet.

Football Manager 2007

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Marc Vaughn actually posts at another forum I frequent, maybe I'll ask him special hints for you, Colon .
    “I give you a new commandment, that you love one another. Just as I have loved you, you also should love one another. By this everyone will know that you are my disciples, if you have love for one another.”
    - John 13:34-35 (NRSV)

Comment

Originally posted by Colon™
      I'd seriously punch my players if only they were made of flesh and blood. One game they don't give away any chances, are deadly efficient and beat giants on away; the other game the defence is full of holes, they blow one golden opportunity after another and get beaten by a mouse at home. I can't make head or tail of it.
      Sounds like your team has some inconsistant players.

What's tactics do you use? I'm currently using a 5-3-2 that switches to 3-5-2 when in possession.
      4-4-2 KISS I just make changes based on the opposition. Attempt to counter everything they do style-wise, single-out their players that need special treatment (creative, low bravery, fast). My favourite style is if they have no fullbacks - constant long balls down the wing on a muddy pitch, the ball stops dead on the first bounce

And deepest defensive line permanently, because my current central defenders don't know their arse from their elbow.
      Call to Power 2: Apolyton Edition - download the latest version (12th June 2011)
      CtP2 AE Wiki & Modding Reference
      One way to compile the CtP2 Source Code.

Comment

Don't think it's individual failure, more probably complacency. I think concentration* matters a lot in games you dominate.

Muddy pitches are great.

*Is that included in your version? I noticed Vaughn's guide does not mention concentration.
        DISCLAIMER: the author of the above written texts does not warrant or assume any legal liability or responsibility for any offence and insult; disrespect, arrogance and related forms of demeaning behaviour; discrimination based on race, gender, age, income class, body mass, living area, political voting-record, football fan-ship and musical preference; insensitivity towards material, emotional or spiritual distress; and attempted emotional or financial black-mailing, skirt-chasing or death-threats perceived by the reader of the said written texts.

Comment

I haven't taken a lot of notice of concentration stat yet to be honest. It's not mentioned in the guide at all, except that "Defending" training improves it, so like you say I imagine it's important for seeing out tight games.

Having just checked my back 4 and keeper all have around 10, the rest of the team lower. They seem to hold out quite well when I tell them to waste time and slow the tempo though.

Now 21 games into my first season, clawed my way up to 12th. Had I not started -10pts I would be 5th now, challenging for a playoff spot. I also have a £1.5m loan to pay off Oh well, I'll still win the league next season.
          Call to Power 2: Apolyton Edition - download the latest version (12th June 2011)

Comment

I've noticed that defenders with relatively low concentration are prone to make retarded mistakes. I imagine high concentration comes in handy as well for goalkeepers.

How do you get these loans anyway? Haven't gotten any although I've only managed to make a profit twice in 3 years. My balance is minus 500,000€ though the board doesn't seem bothered.
            DISCLAIMER: the author of the above written texts does not warrant or assume any legal liability or responsibility for any offence and insult; disrespect, arrogance and related forms of demeaning behaviour; discrimination based on race, gender, age, income class, body mass, living area, political voting-record, football fan-ship and musical preference; insensitivity towards material, emotional or spiritual distress; and attempted emotional or financial black-mailing, skirt-chasing or death-threats perceived by the reader of the said written texts.

Comment

I didn't get the loan, it was already in place for Scarborough, some kind of "historic" debt of the club according to wiki.

The board have already had to put in a cash injection of £40k (woohoo!) to barely keep the club operating though.

Comment

I've been playing fm on and off for a while, cant seem to last more than a season at most. My best game so far was with minnows Finn Harps in the irish 1st division. That was pretty good. Got them promoted and won the league cup in 3 seasons. Then I got to furious after I lost 6 games in a row and half the team (literally) was suspended for red cards. I need to get back in to the lower league managment.
                Southport sounds like a place to start. It could be interesting.
                When it all comes to it, life is nothing more than saltfish - Salka Valka

Comment

Hehe, I picked Southport because they're were predicted by the media to relegate, so I couldn't really **** up too badly. Since the board and the fans have been expecting me to stave off relegation for 3 seasons in a row, I've constantly been their hero. Allows me to work in peace and patiently build a team that actually gets somewhere.

Just had a delightful game. It was again against one of those teams where things can only go wrong, facing fast strikers and creative, technically strong midfielders. I ordered tight marking, hard tackling and always closing down on their midfielders. The result was that their midfield got suffocated, their strikers never got a decent opportunity to shoot at the goal and they were remorselessly put behind by 3 goals on set pieces and counterattacks, after only half an hour. My team never got into trouble afterwards and the opponents even switched to a defensive stance to prevent a further drubbing. To the neutral observer it must have been an ugly scene but for me it was bliss.

BTW, any idea why mental attributes such as discipline and determination matter with coaches? Do determined coaches create more determined players perhaps?
                  Last edited by Colon™; May 25, 2007, 01:12.

Comment

Dont really know about the determination and discipline of coaches. It seems logical that they would though.
                    When it all comes to it, life is nothing more than saltfish - Salka Valka

Comment

Originally posted by Colon™

BTW, any idea why mental attributes such as discipline and determination matter with coaches? Do determined coaches create more determined players perhaps?
                      I don't know for sure either, but I'd go along with that. I remember reading in previous versions that higher discipline works better on younger players though.

BTW this affliate club thing is great. I had Whitby as my feeder when I joined, kind of useless, but good for younsters getting experience. Then around Janurary I asked the board for a parent club and I chose Hull City (championship). They loaned me probably the 3 best players playing in the Conference North now

Before I was doomed to midtable but thanks to them I'm now 7th, pushing for a playoff place with the last 4 games... I would be 2nd on goal difference now without the 10pt deduction, but the chairman doesn't seem to realise that.

Also the chairman resigned and the new one decided to cut my wage bill by £200 but he did offer me a new 3yr contract.

Comment

Maybe discipline affects work rate? Can you ask Vaughn, Imran? And what about man management and other traits I can't think of right now?

I have Crewe Alexandra as parent club. It's handy when it comes to back-up players but otherwise I'm not making too use of it. I don't intend to either, since I desire a strong collective and passers-by don't fit in that. Maybe I'm missing out but at least I can count on the players I own for the following season.

Comment

I love these types of games. They have one of these for hockey (EastSide Hockey Manager), as well, that's quite fun. Although one time I played through many seasons only to get fired (in a video game!) for trading for Jaromir Jagr. After I was fired, we went on to win the division! Stupid game.

Anyway, on with the footy talk...
                          "I wrote a song about dental floss but did anyone's teeth get cleaner?" -Frank Zappa
                          "A thing moderately good is not so good as it ought to be. Moderation in temper is always a virtue, but moderation in principle is always a vice."- Thomas Paine
                          "I'll let you be in my dream if I can be in yours." -Bob Dylan

Comment

With my superstars loaned from Hull City I made a late push for a playoff place and finished 5th somehow (would've been 2nd by 1pt without 10pt deduction so no difference). My star striker and winger get injuried in the games running up to the final Lost in the final to Stalybridge, whom I beat 5-1 away only a month earlier. What a load of ****
                            Attached Files

Comment

That's why you shouldn't have stars. :-p Egalitarianism FTW.

Comment

To be fair they were singled out by Hucknell on hard tackling I think, that's why they got injured, but still, from 5-1 to suddenly I can't score one chance against them with the same 9 players.

Comment

Working...
                                X