X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Fantasy Hockey - Playoff Race

Previous: http://www.apolyton.net/forums/showt...hreadid=161663
    "The issue is there are still many people out there that use religion as a crutch for bigotry and hate. Like Ben."
    Ben Kenobi: "That means I'm doing something right. "

Dennis Wideman for Brad Boyes....wow, StL raped Boston.
    "The issue is there are still many people out there that use religion as a crutch for bigotry and hate. Like Ben."

Comment

David Hale to the Flames for "Future considerations".

Yet another 1st round pick for the Flames blueline.

Edit:

Details: Hale & 2007 5th Round pick for a 2007 3rd round pick.
      Last edited by Asher; February 27, 2007, 16:40.

Comment

Deal for Smyth was made within a span of 15 minutes. Majority of GMs had no idea he was available."

:|

Comment

Kudos to the Leafs fans for beginning to boo McCabe.

You've got over 4 more years of him. He can't be sent to the minors, he can't be traded, and he's gonna eat up ~$5.75M of your budget each year.

And damn, he does suck.

Comment

I "get" all the stuff about losing Smyth for nothing, etc... But still: this is ridiculous. You don't trade the one guy who's stepped up all year, and leave everyone else around. Smyth has won about 15 games for the Oilers almost by his own sheer willpower.

And given the shotgun-nature of this trade, I highly doubt he'll be back this summer. And yes, I do think there will be $5m+ p/y offers for him. The guy is a born leader, has been scoring more and more points, and is smack dab in the middle of his prime.

Lastly, if they want to rebuild, then trade Sykora! Trade Roloson (and then pick up Biron for a friggin' 2nd round pick!)! Trade Jason Smith even. Those guys are replaceable.

(Yes, yes, I know--Lowe didn't trade those guys because he didn't make up his mind on Smyth 'til the last minute. Well, I'm sorry, but waiting 'til the last minute and making a rash decision has never been a smart plan of action.)

I hope the prospects are good, at least.

*Sigh.*

Back to East Side Hockey Manager!
            "I wrote a song about dental floss but did anyone's teeth get cleaner?" -Frank Zappa
            "A thing moderately good is not so good as it ought to be. Moderation in temper is always a virtue, but moderation in principle is always a vice."- Thomas Paine
            "I'll let you be in my dream if I can be in yours." -Bob Dylan

Comment

Dude, you can't trade Roloson.

Comment

Originally posted by cinch
                I "get" all the stuff about losing Smyth for nothing, etc... But still: this is ridiculous. You don't trade the one guy who's stepped up all year, and leave everyone else around. Smyth has won about 15 games for the Oilers almost by his own sheer willpower.

And given the shotgun-nature of this trade, I highly doubt he'll be back this summer. And yes, I do think there will be $5m+ p/y offers for him. The guy is a born leader, has been scoring more and more points, and is smack dab in the middle of his prime.

Lastly, if they want to rebuild, then trade Sykora! Trade Roloson (and then pick up Biron for a friggin' 2nd round pick!)! Trade Jason Smith even. Those guys are replaceable.

(Yes, yes, I know--Lowe didn't trade those guys because he didn't make up his mind on Smyth 'til the last minute. Well, I'm sorry, but waiting 'til the last minute and making a rash decision has never been a smart plan of action.)

I hope the prospects are good, at least.

*Sigh.*

He wanted to keep Smyth. He did everything he could to keep him up to the last 15 minutes of the trading window. He did too much to keep Smyth. He should have been shopping the Mulleted One for the last 2 or 3 days, but he didn't.

Yes, Smyth will get 5 or 5.5mil... for next year on a 1 or 2 year contract. There is no way, no how that any sane GM is going to give him 5mil for 5 years. Smyth plays a very hard sort of hockey. He just turned 31. On top of the very real possibility that he simply wears out, the 5th year of that contract counts against the cap no matter what (after they close the LTIR loophole).

I agree it seems unlikely Smyth comes back. The Oilers were willing to give him the impossible (5 or 6 years at near 5 million) and that wasn't good enough. Now he's shocked that Lowe didn't cave in and complete the hari-kari of the club. However, when he compares the offers he gets vs the offers he turned down, there is a small chance that he comes to his senses and realises that Lowe wasn't offering any sort of 'home town discount'. Lowe was offering far more than any other sane GM would because Smyth meant more to the Oilers than he would to any other team.

And then again, he's in Charles Wang country now. If the Islanders get out of the first round, Ryan is liable to get a 10 year, $70 million deal. Cha-ching! That is what Smyth has been looking for; the home run, that last, very large contract.

BTW, it's all over. Phoenix wins 3-0.

The Oilers have about 98 top drafts in the next few years. The scouts better be working overtime.
                Last edited by notyoueither; February 28, 2007, 00:35.
                (\__/)
                (='.'=)
                (")_(") This is Bunny. Copy and paste bunny into your signature to help him gain world domination.

Comment

Originally posted by Asher
                  Kudos to the Leafs fans for beginning to boo McCabe.
                  And booing Raycroft, and the JFJ.

I suspect that what really pisses off most Leaf fans is that the team was only able to get Yanic while other teams seemed to pick up much better players like Bertuzzi and Smyth for hardly anything.

And giving up Bell for Yanic?

And then re-signing Tucker for four years. WTF?

Meanwhile, Raycroft's been pullled three times in the past five days. Yup, things are looking great for the Leafs.

The only good news was the Habs and Carolina lost.
                  Golfing since 67

Comment

It's not your season.

ESHM got axed.

Comment

Originally posted by Tingkai

The only good news was the Habs and Carolina lost.

Last night it seemed that NONE of the closest contenders for the last playoff spots wanted it-- Even the Islanders had to go to overtime to beat the Flyers. It was a night that tended to tighten the race.

Teams like the Rangers won't go away. Even BOston . .. yes they are 8 points out with far too many teams between them and the playoffs . . but FOUR games in hand for a .500 team means I tend to think of them as being only 4 points out.

Arguably there are 8 teams competing for the last 4 playoff spots
                      You don't get to 300 losses without being a pretty exceptional goaltender.-- Ben Kenobi speaking of Roberto Luongo

Comment

In the west, I think the fat lady has begun her first verse.

Leaving aside the fact that neither Colorado or Edmonton made any moves that looked like teams that wanted to make a push . . .. being 9-10 points out and having played one more game than the teams you are chasing --ouch

Using the same method of assuming a point per game pace from the teams ahead of them yields Minnesota/Calgary with 94 points. For Edmonton to match that they need 28 points in 18 games . So thats like 14-4-0 or 12-2-4. Bottom line is that the only way Edmonton gets even close is if someone completely collapses and loses a bunch in a row.

I actually think what will happen is that each of Minny, Calgary and vancouver will end up closer to the 96-98 point range.
                        You don't get to 300 losses without being a pretty exceptional goaltender.-- Ben Kenobi speaking of Roberto Luongo

Comment

Originally posted by cinch
                          I "get" all the stuff about losing Smyth for nothing, etc... But still: this is ridiculous. You don't trade the one guy who's stepped up all year, and leave everyone else around.
                          Smyth is a great player, but you're talking about a franchise that dealt Gretzky and Messier. Why would any player be immune?
                          "You give a guy a crown and it goes straight to his head."
                          -OOTS

Comment

Smyth is a bit overrated.

Look at his stats -- he's a ~30 goal scorer, not even the captain of his team. The Oilers fans really dodged a bullet here, in all seriousness -- $5m year for 5 years would be ridiculous.

Comment

That said, Smyth is about twice as valuable as McCabe, so Toronto may offer him $10M/year next year.

Comment

Working...
                              X