Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

NFL Free Agency

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • #76
    Briggs to Bears: Rescind the tag or trade me

    By Len Pasquarelli
    ESPN.com

    Under the right circumstances, two-time Pro Bowl linebacker Lance Briggs could play his entire career with the Chicago Bears, and be a happy man.

    Under the restrictive terms of the franchise designation with which the Bears have marked him, though, and with the defending NFC champions apparently offering him nothing more than the one-year option it entails, Briggs said Sunday evening that he doesn't want to play another day for the club that brought him into the league in 2003.

    "There's a difference between the Chicago Bears team and the Chicago Bears organization," Briggs told ESPN.com, when reached Sunday evening at his home in suburban Chicago. "The Chicago Bears team? The coaches, players, city and fans? Yeah, I could stay there forever. I love it. But the Chicago Bears organization? I don't want to be there anymore. I won't play for them and I'll do everything in my power to keep from playing there."

    In a 30-minute conversation by phone, Briggs -- distressed by the restrictions of the NFL franchise tag, by his inability to shop himself in the free agent market, and by the recent departure of defensive coordinator Ron Rivera -- offered his first insights into his current situation.

    And he offered, Briggs said, what is the only truly viable solution to an untenable circumstance.

    "They need to either [rescind] the franchise tag, and let me move on, or trade me to another team," Briggs said. "Because that's about the only way this thing can have any kind of a positive resolution."

    Having failed last spring to consummate a long-term contract with Briggs -- reportedly a six-year, $33 million deal on which both sides worked for several weeks before the negotiations collapsed -- the Bears employed the franchise tag last week to keep the four-year veteran off the open market.

    It marked the first time under the stewardship of general manager Jerry Angelo, who in the past has acknowledged the potential acrimony that accompanies the franchise marker, the Bears have used the restriction.

    The qualifying offer for a franchise linebacker is $7.206 million, the average of the top five highest paid players at the position. But only three days into free agency, top defenders such as cornerback Nate Clements (with San Francisco), edge rusher Adalius Thomas (New England) and middle linebacker London Fletcher-Baker (Washington) have signed lucrative contracts with new teams.

    Sitting at home, watching the free agency parade pass him by, Briggs became, he acknowledged, increasingly frustrated by his lot. And not just, he emphasized, by the financial implications of the situation.

    "You hate to get into that whole 'lack of respect' thing," Briggs said. "But you play four years for a team, do your best, exceed their expectations, right? And every year, it's like, 'You played great, Lance.' And they kind of dangle the carrot, like they're going to take care of you, and then it doesn't happen. I mean, I was a middle-round pick and I've played well for them. Four years and at just middle-round salaries. I haven't caused any kinds of problems. I've done everything they asked and them some. And I don't know if I ever really knew where I stood with them until they put the tag on me."

    A former Arizona standout, Briggs was chosen by the Bears in the third round of the 2003 draft. He earned a starting job as a rookie, emerged by his third seasons as one of the NFL's top young weakside 'backers, and was chosen for the Pro Bowl in each of the past two seasons.

    Even playing in the lengthy shadow of middle linebacker Brian Urlacher, with whom he has become close friends, Briggs is regarded leaguewide as a top defender and playmaker.

    He did sit out the voluntary portion of the team's offseason workouts last spring, it should be noted, but reported for the mandatory workouts and was in training camp on time.

    There is little doubt that if Briggs was in the unrestricted pool right now, he would be a coveted player. But the Bears seem inclined to force him to play for the one-year franchise offer and there have been no discussions on a long-term deal since last spring. Under the current rules, Chicago has until July 16 to sign Briggs to a longer deal or he must play 2007 for the franchise number.

    Which is something, Briggs said Sunday night, he won't do.

    "It's a great bunch of guys with a great future, but I can't see myself as being part of that future anymore," Briggs said. "Whatever options are available to me, I'll take advantage of them. But going back and playing for the Bears again, no, I don't see that as an option. Not one more day. Not at all."

    Doesn't sound good for Chicago.

    Report: Bly wanted to be dealt to 'Skins, not Broncos

    ESPN.com news services

    The Broncos' newest cornerback might not be happy with his new surroundings.

    The Washington Post, citing several NFL sources, including some who have spoken with Dre' Bly, reported Monday that Bly was upset at being traded by the Lions to Denver and wanted to go to Washington, instead.

    The Redskins also were trying to trade for Bly, the newspaper reported, but couldn't match Denver's offer of two players and a draft pick.

    According to The Post, once Bly was dealt to Denver, Washington tried to negotiate a trade with the Broncos, offering cornerback Shawn Springs, but the teams couldn't work out a deal when Denver couldn't give Washington salary cap help.

    Citing unnamed players, The Post reported that Bly is miffed at being in Denver because the Broncos are unwilling to extend his contract, which has one year and $4.2 million remaining.

    The Redskins, however, reportedly were willing to give Bly a lucrative new extension, The Post reported. And playing with the Redskins would allow Bly, who is from Chesapeake, Va., to play close to home.

    Bly, 29, is considered one of the game's best big-play cornerbacks. In eight seasons he has intercepted 31 passes, forced 17 fumbles, and scored eight touchdowns (five interception returns, two fumble returns, one punt return). Last season, Bly tied for the Lions' team lead with three interceptions and led Detroit with 18 passes defended and four forced fumbles.

    HA ha! [/Nelson]
    Those who would give up Essential Liberty to purchase a little Temporary Safety, deserve neither Liberty nor Safety. - Ben Franklin
    Iain Banks missed deadline due to Civ | The eyes are the groin of the head. - Dwight Schrute.
    One more turn .... One more turn .... | WWTSD

    Comment


    • #77
      Wow... Briggs sounds pissed off.
      “I give you a new commandment, that you love one another. Just as I have loved you, you also should love one another. By this everyone will know that you are my disciples, if you have love for one another.”
      - John 13:34-35 (NRSV)

      Comment


      • #78
        This has been bubbling under for quite some time. Briggs has a case when it comes to the loyalty thing, but WTF, this is the pros. Hard to feel sympathy for a guy who will make over $7MM, then become unrestricted for another guaranteed $20MM or so.

        That said, it seems pretty stupid to let go of an All-Pro LB on a defense-oriented team. Urlacher even said last year that he'd revamp his deal to get cap space for Briggs, and doesn't care if he's the highest paid.

        So WTF, Angelo????
        Apolyton's Grim Reaper 2008, 2010 & 2011
        RIP lest we forget... SG (2) and LaFayette -- Civ2 Succession Games Brothers-in-Arms

        Comment


        • #79
          [q=-JRabbit]Hard to feel sympathy for a guy who will make over $7MM, then become unrestricted for another guaranteed $20MM or so.[/q]

          True, but in the NFL I feel more sympathy simply because teams can cut players whenever they feel like and are only on the hook for a small amount. The NFL is incredibly violent and you never know when your career will come to a halt, so get the most money while you can. Teams for the most part show no loyalty these days, so why should players (which is why all that 'traitor' talk Reismark likes to say is a bunch of BS).
          “I give you a new commandment, that you love one another. Just as I have loved you, you also should love one another. By this everyone will know that you are my disciples, if you have love for one another.”
          - John 13:34-35 (NRSV)

          Comment


          • #80
            In this case, the Bears are on the hook for the full $7MM; all Briggs has to do is sign the tender and play. Yes, IMHO Briggs deserves the big paper. But he'd rather sit becasue his feelings are hurt. Yes, as you note, careers are fragile, and but sitting out the year will only cost him money. Frankly, if you can't get yourself set for life with a $7MM season, you're an idiot.
            Apolyton's Grim Reaper 2008, 2010 & 2011
            RIP lest we forget... SG (2) and LaFayette -- Civ2 Succession Games Brothers-in-Arms

            Comment


            • #81
              It's not mere being "set for life". It's getting as much as you can for as long as you can. Sure its $7M this season, but he can probably get far more in a long term deal with a massive signing bonus in the open market.
              “I give you a new commandment, that you love one another. Just as I have loved you, you also should love one another. By this everyone will know that you are my disciples, if you have love for one another.”
              - John 13:34-35 (NRSV)

              Comment


              • #82
                Hey, when he joined the NFL, he agreed to play by the rules negotiated by his union in the CBA. "Greed now" is not a good excuse.
                Apolyton's Grim Reaper 2008, 2010 & 2011
                RIP lest we forget... SG (2) and LaFayette -- Civ2 Succession Games Brothers-in-Arms

                Comment


                • #83
                  Originally posted by -Jrabbit
                  Hey, when he joined the NFL, he agreed to play by the rules negotiated by his union in the CBA. "Greed now" is not a good excuse.
                  And holding out is considered to be a part of negotiating and has been for a number of years. Calling it "greed now" is not a good excuse.
                  “I give you a new commandment, that you love one another. Just as I have loved you, you also should love one another. By this everyone will know that you are my disciples, if you have love for one another.”
                  - John 13:34-35 (NRSV)

                  Comment


                  • #84
                    Negotiating is all well and good. The actual sitting out is what I would object to.
                    Apolyton's Grim Reaper 2008, 2010 & 2011
                    RIP lest we forget... SG (2) and LaFayette -- Civ2 Succession Games Brothers-in-Arms

                    Comment


                    • #85
                      Sitting out has been an accepted part of negotiating in American sports. It's like a general strike in a union negotiation.
                      “I give you a new commandment, that you love one another. Just as I have loved you, you also should love one another. By this everyone will know that you are my disciples, if you have love for one another.”
                      - John 13:34-35 (NRSV)

                      Comment


                      • #86
                        Meanwhile, Travis Henry has moved to Denver.

                        Comment


                        • #87
                          Originally posted by Zopperoni
                          Meanwhile, Travis Henry has moved to Denver.
                          That seemed to me to be an obvious move after Tennessee released Henry and Denver dealt Bell. I'm sure Henry gets 1400+ yards rushing next season as a result.

                          Vince Young is probably not so happy. We'll see if LenDale White can take up the load.
                          “I give you a new commandment, that you love one another. Just as I have loved you, you also should love one another. By this everyone will know that you are my disciples, if you have love for one another.”
                          - John 13:34-35 (NRSV)

                          Comment


                          • #88
                            I'm sure Henry gets 1400+ yards rushing next season...
                            Hard to say. Shanahan really seems to like RBBC since the Portis trade.
                            Apolyton's Grim Reaper 2008, 2010 & 2011
                            RIP lest we forget... SG (2) and LaFayette -- Civ2 Succession Games Brothers-in-Arms

                            Comment


                            • #89
                              Originally posted by Imran Siddiqui
                              That seemed to me to be an obvious move after Tennessee released Henry and Denver dealt Bell.
                              Perhaps, but there are more teams that need a new RB, like the two NY teams, Cleveland, and Green Bay...

                              Comment


                              • #90
                                Thomas Jones just got traded to the Jets with the Bears 2nd round pick for the Jets 2nd round pick.



                                I'm trying to figure that one out.
                                To us, it is the BEAST.

                                Comment

                                Working...
                                X