X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• By TOM CANAVAN, AP Sports Writer
    1 hour, 32 minutes ago

EAST RUTHERFORD, N.J. - Tiki Barber has been cheered and booed and loved and hated in a 10-year run with the
    New York Giants that has included the highs of playing in a Super Bowl and the lows of competing on a couple of bad teams. ADVERTISEMENT

Barber will walk through the tunnel at Giants Stadium one last time on Sunday in what will be the final home game of a career he is ending early to become a television personality.

"I know at some point, maybe this week — it might not happen until after the New Year or the next game — that I realize I won't be doing this anymore," Barber said Thursday. "But it is not something I am scared of or regret.

"It has been a great run for me. I know that. Great ups and great downs. I have been to a Super Bowl, and hopefully things turn around and we can go again."

Looking into Barber's eyes, one can sense the emotion the 31-year-old Pro Bowl running back is feeling as he prepares to retire at the height of his career.

However, he is doing his best to keep his feelings in check this week as the Giants (7-7) prepare for an almost must-win game against the
    New Orleans Saints (9-5).

New York is tied for the second wild-card playoff berth with Atlanta heading into the final two weeks of the season. It can't afford any more slip-ups after losing five of six games.

"I don't think it will be emotional," Barber said. "I don't think I'll think about it. I tend to get extremely focused on what I'm doing and on my job. That's my mentality on Sunday, just like every other Sunday for the last 10 years."

In many ways, it is appropriate that Saints coach Sean Payton will be on the field for the game.

More than anyone, Payton helped transform Barber from a third-down back to an every-down halfback who is now the Giants' all-time leading rusher.

When the Giants took Barber in the second round of the 1997 draft, he was a situational player who could also return punts and kickoffs.

After taking over as the Giants' offensive coordinator in 2000, Payton made Barber his starter. He had his first 1,000-yard rushing season, caught 70 passes and returned 39 punts in leading New York to the NFC title.

Payton said the decision was easy after watching the video of the previous year. Every time Barber touched the ball he gained five yards.

"The only concern I think people had was, can he take the every day pounding as a first- and second-down back, and he's obviously proven he can do that and then some," Payton said.

With the exception of 2001, when he was bothered by a hamstring injury, Barber has gained at least 1,200 yards rushing and caught at least 50 passes in each of the last five seasons. He recently became the 20th back to rush for 10,000 career yards. He also is the Giants' all-time leader in receptions and all-purpose yardage.

"His success has been something that he's worked awfully hard for," Payton said. "He's leaving on his terms, and he'll be missed by, I'm sure, not only the Giants but the National Football League."

Barber said that having Payton on the sidelines will almost be like playing for his father.

"As he's doing in New Orleans, he finds ways to utilize his guys' strengths," Barber said of Payton. "He did that with me and revolutionized my existence as a football player and turned me into who I am now, or at least started me down that path into who I am now, and I have great respect for that."

Barber said he has not had any second thoughts about his decision to retire, adding that he already is in negotiations with networks about his television career. He has worked for Fox News during the offseason and has enjoyed that relationship.

Barber, who was booed for his fumbling problems early in his career and cheered for his great runs, said there was no one moment in his career that stood out. His only concern this weekend was winning.

"Sitting at .500 we are still in the playoffs right now, but things have to happen," Barber said. "Most importantly, we have to win. So that's what our focus and our drive is right now — just trying to win the game."
    Life is not measured by the number of breaths you take, but by the moments that take your breath away.
    "Hating America is something best left to Mobius. He is an expert Yank hater.
    He also hates Texans and Australians, he does diversify." ~ Braindead

Comment

• Start of 4th quarter and Vikings have made 2 first downs. Only in the NFC North could they be winning 7 - 6.
      Life is not measured by the number of breaths you take, but by the moments that take your breath away.

Comment

• I think Brett Favre may KILL Bubba Franks.
        “I give you a new commandment, that you love one another. Just as I have loved you, you also should love one another. By this everyone will know that you are my disciples, if you have love for one another.”
        - John 13:34-35 (NRSV)

Comment

• He better think twice. Frans is all he's got besides Driver.
          RB's are all crap.

Comment

• Yeah, but without Franks'.. um errors.. they at least have another TD, if not more.
            “I give you a new commandment, that you love one another. Just as I have loved you, you also should love one another. By this everyone will know that you are my disciples, if you have love for one another.”

Comment

• Wow, the Vikings' offense stinks. Is there worse in football? In football history?
              http://tools.wikimedia.de/~gmaxwell/jorbis/JOrbisPlayer.php?path=John+Williams+The+Imperial+M arch+from+The+Empire+Strikes+Back.ogg&wiki=en

Comment

• Originally posted by Ned
                Wow, the Vikings' offense stinks. Is there worse in football? In football history?
                WTF?! "Football history"? They aren't even the worst offense THIS YEAR! There are 9 teams below them in scoring offense and more than that in yardage.

Comment

• Originally posted by Ned
                  Wow, the Vikings' offense stinks. Is there worse in football? In football history?
                  Heah, they covered the spread, and thats all thats important, right?

D

Comment

• I am SO glad I missed this game. Between the two pathetic offenses and the putrid NFL Network announcers, it must have been pretty hard to take, even for hardcore NFL fans.
                    Apolyton's Grim Reaper 2008, 2010 & 2011
                    RIP lest we forget... SG (2) and LaFayette -- Civ2 Succession Games Brothers-in-Arms

Comment

• Me --><-- NFL Network

The NFL Network sucks. Not because of its announcers, but because of its availability. The NFL became such a popular sport because it was an everyman's sport. Now with the NFL Network, it's an everyman who has satilite TV sport.

This year, the NFL awarded itself Thursday games (which suck by themselves and more so now that they are more common). What are they going to award themselves with next year? How long until they award themselves a Super Bowl? Where does it stop? If this is the legacey Roger Goodell wants, it may ruin football.
                      Founder of The Glory of War, CHAMPIONS OF APOLYTON!!!
                      1992-Perot , 1996-Perot , 2000-Bush , 2004-Bush :|, 2008-Obama :|, 2012-Obama , 2016-Clinton , 2020-Biden

Comment

• Consumers are ruining it. Consumers cast the votes by choosing. Can't blame a business for being greedy. It's their nature.

Comment

• NFL's positions is fairly safe and they are taking short term losses to try to boost the NFL Network to a cable giant. I don't know if they'll succeed, because they are speaking of joining up with another cable network (and putting NFL games on that channel) if they can package NFL network with that channel for negotiations.

Comment

• Well, KC beat up Oakland tonight, with Larry Johnson the only participant to have a fantasy-friendly game.

League championships in most formats nationwide this week mean FF players will have to balance Christmas activities with their NFL rooting interests. So good luck with that!

May your teams roll to victory and may peace reign IRL.
                            RIP lest we forget... SG (2) and LaFayette -- Civ2 Succession Games Brothers-in-Arms

Comment

• I'll be at the Lions game today. And quite possibly I'll walk out too. I'll let y'all know how it goes, and take pictures.
                              Captain of Team Apolyton - ISDG 2012

When I was younger I thought curfews were silly, but now as the daughter of a young woman, I appreciate them. - Rah

Comment

• Is there an organized boycott? How big?
                                Details welcome...

Rumor has it there could well be a pro-Bears crowd in the house today.

Comment

Working...
                                X