This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Tingkai
    And while people who don't know hockey will blame the McCabe or a meaningless trade, fact is it's just part of what all teams go through.
    So do I get points for acknowledging that the Leafs just suck, regardless of what they attempt?

Btw, this slump will last Leafs are out of the playoffs again.
    Resident Filipina Lady Boy Expert.

Comment

• Originally posted by Asher
      And Telqvist has been outstanding since the trade.
      I know!
      Former President, Vice-president and Foreign Minister of the Apolyton Civ2-Democracy Games as 123john321

Comment

• Originally posted by Tingkai
        Yup, the Leafs are in a slump, but unlike some Flames fans who would be screaming in panic, there's no need to worry.
        THIS Flames fan never was in a panic. I WAS concerned about their general poor play early. Now I remain concerned about their inability to win consistently on the road and I still wish they had more scoring. I see their strengths and acknowledge their weaknesses (but you only meant Asher right ?)

Originally posted by Tingkai

All teams go through slumps, but it is a long season so the Leafs have time to get things in order. The Sens, Bruins and Flames all looked like crap in the early part of the season, but have pulled together.
        Thats true-- all teams do go through slumps and perhaps this is all that this is for the Leafs. But giveaways and high goals against weere present even in stretches where the Leafs were winning more than they lost. So the question is which is more the anomoly-- the stretches of winning hockey or this poorer play? The Leafs are not THIS bad IMHO. I still currently see them as a team that could potentially contend but giving up all these leads is big trouble

And while people who don't know hockey will blame the McCabe or a meaningless trade, fact is it's just part of what all teams go through.

McCabe does have his defensive liabilities. The telqvist trade was a 3rd string goalie for a marginal player-- not really that big a deal in the greater scheme of things

Right now, the biggest barrier is the Leafs's lack of confidence in the third period. They're getting tight and playing not to lose instead of playing to win.

So Asher, enjoy it while you can, cause it won't last long.
        Of course it won't last long as pretty soon the Leafs will win another game but the issues that caused this losing streak just don't magically disappear--- It seems that the Leags need another d-man a top flight defensive defenseman

Last note-- It seemed Aubin was reasonably good last night ( at least based on the hi-lites)-- The goals scored all seemed like quality shots
        You don't get to 300 losses without being a pretty exceptional goaltender.-- Ben Kenobi speaking of Roberto Luongo

Comment

• The Habs continue to avoid those losing skids -- Two losses in a row was as long as it has gotten.

The Flames-- road woes continue to soem extent although they will havge been quite pleased to come back from a 2-0 margin to take a point. The Flames actually had the better of the play through most of the game but again I had hoped for a bit more offensive punch
          You don't get to 300 losses without being a pretty exceptional goaltender.-- Ben Kenobi speaking of Roberto Luongo

Comment

And Telqvist has been outstanding since the trade.

Bet the Leafs could use some consistent goaltending right now.

You really are hung up on this trade-- aren't you? The mistake if one was made, would be in never playing Telqvist. Its hard to fault a trade for someone you are not using-- you should fault the not using him part

Comment

• I just watched the hi-lights again

The first and 3rd goals were great shots from the slot and through some traffic. The second one you could maybe fault Aubin for. A relatively easy shot came in and Aubin gave up a fat rebound. The Leafs D let a Bruin gather it uncontested and Aubin was out of position then

Comment

• and whats with the refs these days. IN MInn-Calg I beleive it was 9 minors each way. The game was not chippy and many of the penalties seemed to be of the "phanthom" variety

Comment

• Originally posted by Flubber
                  You really are hung up on this trade-- aren't you? The mistake if one was made, would be in never playing Telqvist. Its hard to fault a trade for someone you are not using-- you should fault the not using him part
                  The point is Telqvist is not a "third string goalie", as his recent performances have shown. He's a lot better than the Leafs gave him credit for, I'd prefer him over Aubin any day.

There are a lot of teams out there that could use him as a very solid backup or perhaps even a starter (I think he'll be playing a lot of games for Phoenix).

This trade was simply a fleecing. Shades of the Kiprusoff trade (also a "third string goalie" traded away for a simple draft pick), but probably not nearly as onesided. But still, a fleecing.
                  "The issue is there are still many people out there that use religion as a crutch for bigotry and hate. Like Ben."
                  Ben Kenobi: "That means I'm doing something right. "

Comment

• Am I the only one that's noticed the Leafs have a far better record over the past two seasons without Sundin than with? What kind of captain is that?
                    "The issue is there are still many people out there that use religion as a crutch for bigotry and hate. Like Ben."

Comment

The point is Telqvist is not a "third string goalie", as his recent performances have shown. He's a lot better than the Leafs gave him credit for, I'd prefer him over Aubin any day.

There are a lot of teams out there that could use him as a very solid backup or perhaps even a starter (I think he'll be playing a lot of games for Phoenix).

This trade was simply a fleecing. Shades of the Kiprusoff trade (also a "third string goalie" traded away for a simple draft pick), but probably not nearly as onesided. But still, a fleecing.
                      IN both cases I see the fault as being failing to identify the underlying talent and giving the keeper a chance--- Do you think Kipper would have been the Kipper we now know if he hadn't been traded? As a 3rd stringer, a slow start such as he has had each of the last few seasons would quickly relegate him to the bench (or the minors)--

Comment

Am I the only one that's noticed the Leafs have a far better record over the past two seasons without Sundin than with? What kind of captain is that?
                        I would question the leadership of the team more due to their habit of blowing leads.

Comment

The Habs continue to avoid those losing skids -- Two losses in a row was as long as it has gotten.
                          Yeah. It's been so long since we've had a bad streak that I was actually really worried about the two losses in a row.

12-17-10 Mohamed Bouazizi NEVER FORGET
                          Stadtluft Macht Frei
                          Killing it is the new killing it
                          Ultima Ratio Regum

Comment

• Christ on a crutch, my RWs suck something fierce.
                            "My nation is the world, and my religion is to do good." --Thomas Paine
                            "The subject of onanism is inexhaustable." --Sigmund Freud

Comment

I would question the leadership of the team more due to their habit of blowing leads.
                              That's what I'm talking about.

Sundin is cap'n.

Comment

• Originally posted by KrazyHorse

Yeah. It's been so long since we've had a bad streak that I was actually really worried about the two losses in a row.

Ya and both games were close-- It was what a 6-5 wild loss to Boston and then a 2-1 OT loss to the Devils. So in their longest losing skid of the year, MOntreal still got a point.

I don't really expect this to last the whole season (its tough not to slide sometime) but so far Montreal has been amazing in their ability to hang in there. Even in their bad stretches they steal win here or an OT loss there.

Comment

Working...
                                X