No announcement yet.

It's The Ashes!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

...or a pitch where (barring a complete disaster) winning the toss takes losing the match almost entirely out of the equation.
    Visit the Vote UK Discussion Forum!

Comment

Originally posted by Dauphin
      McGraths 0 for 107 reminded me of the old joke:

What do you call an Englishman with over 100 runs to his name in a single innings?
      A bowler.
      Tut tut

You should know by now that such jokes are fine when an Englishman is the target but to bring them up against an Australian ... well that's just not, erm, cricket.

Historical problem with the Waca is that 200-250 is a good score and you can be pretty effective bowling in excess of about 40mph.
      On that brute in its heyday S. K. Warne could waddle up to the stumps and effectively bowl fast-medium.
      I'm just glad that it is a shadow of its former self. Hopefully it'll stay that way.

[Edit: End of Aus 1st innings. Tail went down like a row of skittles. Hoggard finishes with 7-109 which is better than G. McGrath in the wickets dept. but slightly worse in the runs conceded dept. Naturally the latter is more important. Just ask an Australian. ]
      Last edited by ravagon; December 4, 2006, 01:26.

Comment

Historical problem with the Waca is that 200-250 is a good score and you can be pretty effective bowling in excess of about 40mph.
        On that brute in its heyday S. K. Warne could waddle up to the stumps and effectively bowl fast-medium.
        I'm just glad that it is a shadow of its former self. Hopefully it'll stay that way.
        Word is that the WACA is like every other fricking pitch in Australia and that it's batting friendly.

It's such a shame the character of the individual venues has gone out of the game.

Comment

The waca was great fun, if only to see proper tail enders
          having to face imminent death by fast bowling
          Space is big. You just won't believe how vastly, hugely, mind- bogglingly big it is. I mean, you may think it's a long way down the road to the chemist's, but that's just peanuts to space.
          Douglas Adams (Influential author)

Comment

Originally posted by Tim_Augustus
            QFT. While its nice to see 3 days of quality batting you have to wonder what the groundstaff did to the pitch to make it so... boring! I can't remember the last test where only 11 wickets fell in the first 3 days.
            There are commercial pressures to take the game to a fith day - hence the 'incentives' for flat tracks - and draws.

Comment

Originally posted by Cort Haus

There are commercial pressures to take the game to a fith day - hence the 'incentives' for flat tracks - and draws.
              It doesnt matter. The sooner there is an investigation (and there will be one) the better.

Comment

Originally posted by ravagon

Tut tut

You should know by now that such jokes are fine when an Englishman is the target but to bring them up against an Australian ... well that's just not, erm, cricket.
                But McGrath IS a bowler!
                One day Canada will rule the world, and then we'll all be sorry.

Comment

What a miracalous win

Australia after being behind for 4 days of the Test match beat England to win the 2nd test. England bated poorly on the last day, in particular scored far too slowly and as a result Australia got a winnable target of 168 runs, which they promptly got, scoring at 3 times the pace of the English.
                  England broke the record books in the game by having the highest 1st inning total in a losing match, in other words this was a match England should never have lost after that 1st innings effort.

Comment

Pah

Cricket who cares
                    Space is big. You just won't believe how vastly, hugely, mind- bogglingly big it is. I mean, you may think it's a long way down the road to the chemist's, but that's just peanuts to space.
                    Douglas Adams (Influential author)

Comment

I was so certain it was going to be a draw
                      THEY!!111 OMG WTF LOL LET DA NOMADS AND TEH S3D3NTARY PEOPLA BOTH MAEK BITER AXP3REINCES
                      AND TEH GRAAT SINS OF THERE [DOCTRINAL] INOVATIONS BQU3ATH3D SMAL
                      AND!!1!11!!! LOL JUST IN CAES A DISPUTANT CALS U 2 DISPUT3 ABOUT THEYRE CLAMES
                      DO NOT THAN DISPUT3 ON THEM 3XCAPT BY WAY OF AN 3XTARNAL DISPUTA!!!!11!! WTF

Comment

Re: What a miracalous win

Originally posted by trev
                        Australia after being behind for 4 days of the Test match beat England to win the 2nd test. England bated poorly on the last day, in particular scored far too slowly and as a result Australia got a winnable target of 168 runs, which they promptly got, scoring at 3 times the pace of the English.
                        England broke the record books in the game by having the highest 1st inning total in a losing match, in other words this was a match England should never have lost after that 1st innings effort.
                        England - breaking records to snatch defeat from the jaws of victory
                        Call to Power 2: Apolyton Edition - download the latest version (12th June 2011)
                        CtP2 AE Wiki & Modding Reference
                        One way to compile the CtP2 Source Code.

Comment

Originally posted by Frozzy
                          Word is that the WACA is like every other fricking pitch in Australia and that it's batting friendly.

It's such a shame the character of the individual venues has gone out of the game.
                          Ahem.
                          I don't know what I am - Pekka

Comment

Monty: 5/92 and 16 n/o

Better than Cook, Bell, Collingwood, Flintoff

His 40 run partnership with Harmison beats anything else the filthy, evil Poms managed to put together.

If he hadn't got rid of Roy, I'd almost vote him for Man of the Match.
                            I don't know what I am - Pekka

Comment

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport2/shared/...m#SouthAfrica1
                              THEY!!111 OMG WTF LOL LET DA NOMADS AND TEH S3D3NTARY PEOPLA BOTH MAEK BITER AXP3REINCES
                              AND TEH GRAAT SINS OF THERE [DOCTRINAL] INOVATIONS BQU3ATH3D SMAL
                              AND!!1!11!!! LOL JUST IN CAES A DISPUTANT CALS U 2 DISPUT3 ABOUT THEYRE CLAMES
                              DO NOT THAN DISPUT3 ON THEM 3XCAPT BY WAY OF AN 3XTARNAL DISPUTA!!!!11!! WTF

Comment

Originally posted by Terra Nullius

Ahem.
                                Ahem.

Comment

Working...
                                X