No announcement yet.

MLB Offseason Thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Yeah, it doesn't seem like any of the players going to the Yankees are all that great. At best they may get a couple of middle relievers from the group they are getting back.
    “I give you a new commandment, that you love one another. Just as I have loved you, you also should love one another. By this everyone will know that you are my disciples, if you have love for one another.”
    - John 13:34-35 (NRSV)

Comment

• I don't care who it is, it's idiotic to give up 3 youngsters to take on $16 MM in salary for a 43 year old with a recent history of health issues. Even if Johnson has a decent season (say, 16 wins), it costs them a million per win.

Plus, it helps the richest team in baseball.

Monumentally stupid.
      Apolyton's Grim Reaper 2008, 2010 & 2011
      RIP lest we forget... SG (2) and LaFayette -- Civ2 Succession Games Brothers-in-Arms

Comment

• They're taking on $14 million this year (the Yankees will pay $2 million), and word is they're giving him a $10 million extension for next year (!!).

As for the rest, whatever. Teams will trade with the Yankees if they think the trade benifits them. Even if the Yankees are the minions of evil or whatever you think they are.

I think the Dbacks are going to be disappointed, personally, so in that sense we agree. But I think I get *why* they're doing this.

-Arrian
        grog want tank...Grog Want Tank... GROG WANT TANK!

The trick isn't to break some eggs to make an omelette, it's convincing the eggs to break themselves in order to aspire to omelettehood.

Comment

• Well, I also assume greater attendance and some more merchanise sales can offset some of the salary. I'm not sure the D'Backs are all that popular right now.
          “I give you a new commandment, that you love one another. Just as I have loved you, you also should love one another. By this everyone will know that you are my disciples, if you have love for one another.”

Comment

• I'm guessing they want to be the team he wins #300 for, and get a Dbacks hat in the HOF 5 years later. It will help attendance -- one day out of every 5.
            RIP lest we forget... SG (2) and LaFayette -- Civ2 Succession Games Brothers-in-Arms

Comment

• Also, the NL West is a pretty weak division. If Randy really does put up 16 wins, those wins might really be worth $1 million per, because the result very well might be a trip to the playoffs (setting aside the question of whether or not wins/losses are really good benchmarks for a pitcher's performance).

The Dbacks already have a guy who is arguably the best pitcher in the NL, or at least top 3. Pair him with a RJ who has a good bounce-back year, and they could win the west. Maybe.

I don't see it, but that, in conjunction with the hope for an attendence bounce just from the big name & chase for 300 wins, seems to be the idea.

-Arrian

The trick isn't to break some eggs to make an omelette, it's convincing the eggs to break themselves in order to aspire to omelettehood.

Comment

• If Randy really does put up 16 wins, those wins might really be worth $1 million per, because the result very well might be a trip to the playoffs

Which is a good point. If you've read "Baseball Between the Numbers", you'll note that there is some seriously big money when you get to the playoffs... in terms of not just gate revenue, but also extra TV revenue (I'm not sure, but I think you can get extra even though its a national broadcast). Simply getting to the playoffs is supposed to be worth about $15 million, IIRC.

Comment

• I'd put the O/U on Randy's wins at about 12, though. Arizona offense << Yankee offense. Randy won a lot of games in which he pitched like crap, especially last year.

-Arrian

Comment

• By the way, it's a little depressing that the best the Yanks can do for a 1B is Doug ManCaveItch. It's too bad Craig Wilson **** the bed in his ~100ABs as a Yankee. His track record is a lot better than his performance as a Yank, but he got himself labelled as a bum. And thus we go out and get "have glove, won't hit" ManCaveItch. Who, given his age and injury issues, may not really have much of a glove left anyway. Sigh.

-Arrian

Comment

• HoF election results:

Ripken and Gwynn are in.

Gossage came close. CV says next year for him. Good, 'cause he's worthy in his own right and furthermore if Sutter's in there's just no excuse. I don't even care he was a Yankee - he was before my time.

-Arrian

Comment

• There was a debate this morning on M&M in the Morning about some sportswriters refusing to vote for any player in the steroids era until they have further clarification on whether particular players were involved or not. Greeny thought the whole idea of delaying a vote for clarification was wrong because with some players there has never been any suggestion of their involvement with steroids.

Then Golic pointed out that until he tested positive, the same was said of Palmeiro.

Greeny then changed his view on this.

Interesting debate.
                        Last edited by Ned; January 9, 2007, 18:50.
                        http://tools.wikimedia.de/~gmaxwell/jorbis/JOrbisPlayer.php?path=John+Williams+The+Imperial+M arch+from+The+Empire+Strikes+Back.ogg&wiki=en

Comment

• Originally posted by Ned
                          Greenies then changed his views on this.
                          Fixed.
                          "Stuie has the right idea" - Japher
                          "I trust Stuie and all involved." - SlowwHand
                          "Stuie is right...." - Guynemer

Comment

• It saddens me that Blyleven didn't even get 50%. And if Sutter is in, how can Lee Smith not be? There is something to be said for longevity.

Comment

• Alan Trammel
                              Captain of Team Apolyton - ISDG 2012

When I was younger I thought curfews were silly, but now as the daughter of a young woman, I appreciate them. - Rah

Comment

• MANNY TRILLO!!!

Comment

Working...
                                X