No announcement yet.

MLB Offseason Thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Any conspiracies that Boston may have told the doc to fail Drew after they realized what they did?
    “I give you a new commandment, that you love one another. Just as I have loved you, you also should love one another. By this everyone will know that you are my disciples, if you have love for one another.”
    - John 13:34-35 (NRSV)

Comment

• Originally posted by Imran Siddiqui
      Any conspiracies that Boston may have told the doc to fail Drew after they realized what they did?

Naaah, Theo gets hard just thinkng about Drew. A similar thing happened with Beckett's signing, although that was kept pretty hushed up - some of the people who view Beckett's reports were pretty concerned and felt the deal should have been voided, but any re-exam or discussion about the deal was squelched then and there.
      When all else fails, blame brown people. | Hire a teen, while they still know it all. | Trump-Palin 2016. "You're fired." "I quit."

Comment

• It appears Marcus Giles is going the San Diego:

Free agent second baseman Marcus Giles and the San Diego Padres were closing in on a deal that would allow him to play with his older brother, Brian, on their hometown team.

SAN DIEGO -- Free agent second baseman Marcus Giles and the San Diego Padres were closing in on a deal that would allow him to play with his older brother, Brian, on their hometown team.

It'd be a great pickup for the Pads to replace Josh Barfield, who the Pads dealt for God knows what reason in early November. Marcus should return to the player he used to be... provided the Pads don't try to make him bat leadoff.
        “I give you a new commandment, that you love one another. Just as I have loved you, you also should love one another. By this everyone will know that you are my disciples, if you have love for one another.”

Comment

• It seems the Yanks have signed, or are about to sign, their Japanese pitcher, Kei Igawa. The number I've seen is ~$20 million over 5 years (the actual contract - obviously the $26 million posting fee exists too).

The total is roughly half the cost of Matsuzaka (depending on various incentives in each deal, and how you tally things up). The projections seem to indicate that this guy isn't close to the level of Matsuzaka. It will be interesting to see what the gap actually is.

On the plus side: Lefty, good overal stats in the Japanese leages (strikeouts, ERA)

Negative: reportedly throws a straight fastball in the 88-90 mph range. Those tend to get *hammered* in MLB, especially in the AL. Hell, straight 95 mph fastballs get hammered.

His offspeed pitches are apparently good but not great. I've seen him projected as a back-end of rotation starter or a reliever. For whatever the projections are worth, of course. Meh.

-Arrian
          Last edited by Arrian; December 20, 2006, 09:51.
          grog want tank...Grog Want Tank... GROG WANT TANK!

The trick isn't to break some eggs to make an omelette, it's convincing the eggs to break themselves in order to aspire to omelettehood.

Comment

• Here's hoping the Phils get their money's werth.

The official website of the Philadelphia Phillies with the most up-to-date information on scores, schedule, stats, tickets, and team news.

Ugh. At least he was (relatively speaking - that's 7+ years salary for me) cheap.
            "Stuie has the right idea" - Japher
            "I trust Stuie and all involved." - SlowwHand
            "Stuie is right...." - Guynemer

Comment

• The article doesn't give his salary. I'm assuming it is under a million. If so, that's not bad for a backup OF. He is good defensively in all three OF positions and an average bat.

Comment

• Btw, FYI, baseball-reference.com (which was already one of my fav sites) has gotten even better. They now have the the Play Index, which basically is BR going through all the box scores (via Retrosheet) to give people the ability to search through the last 50 years of gamelogs and boxscores and be able to find more specific stats.

You can look through Player Events, such as which team has David Wright hit the most HRs against (Atlanta with 12) or who has Roger Clemens struck out the most in his career (Chili Davis with 30). Or you can search player splits throughout history (like George Brett's numbers batting 3rd in the lineup compared to batting 4th [he was better batting 4th], or how Brett did with a runner on 1st and 2nd, or his stats in each ballpark he played in) Really cool stuff .

Though some of the more in depth stuff (such as more than just the leaders of the Player Event index) is only accessible if you pay (though more than plenty is free).

Comment

• Did you guys hear that Tigers' Zumaya suffered from guitar wrist from too much Guitar Hero?
                  Those who would give up Essential Liberty to purchase a little Temporary Safety, deserve neither Liberty nor Safety. - Ben Franklin
                  Iain Banks missed deadline due to Civ | The eyes are the groin of the head. - Dwight Schrute.
                  One more turn .... One more turn .... | WWTSD

Comment

• Baseball reference is a great site

Yes, I'd heard about Zumaya. As far as I'm concerned, it fails to rise to the level of Carl's Glass Ass.

-Arrian

The trick isn't to break some eggs to make an omelette, it's convincing the eggs to break themselves in order to aspire to omelettehood.

Comment

• It actually sounds to me like more of an excuse. The team trying to put a good spin on it and not blame his mechanics.

Comment

• It probably simply exacerbated a problem he was already having - likely related to throwing a baseball 102 mph (and/or the specific way he does it, aka "mechanics").

-Arrian

Comment

• Phillies sign Rod Barajas. Ooh! Phear us!

I was hoping Coste would see a good deal of playing time next year, but it looks like he's going to be used more as a pinch-hitter/late inning type guy. Then again, if Carlos Ruiz doesn't pan-out as a regular catcher... I suppose things could change.

Still, I find it odd that Barajas took what amounts to a back-up role to the rookie catcher - he stated last season that he wanted to be the "number one" guy. That's not gonna happen on the Phillies.

Obligatory link:

"Stuie has the right idea" - Japher
                          "I trust Stuie and all involved." - SlowwHand
                          "Stuie is right...." - Guynemer

Comment

• Reports coming out of the Bay Area say Barry Zito is signing with the Giants (he won't even have to find a new house ) for a seven year, $126 million deal.

Comment

• As long as he's not in one of the Central Divisions or on the Yankees, it's all good.

Does anyone have the skinny on this Denks guy the Chisox got for McCarthy? Most Chicagoans are now doubting Kenny Williams' commitment to winning in 2007.
                              Apolyton's Grim Reaper 2008, 2010 & 2011
                              RIP lest we forget... SG (2) and LaFayette -- Civ2 Succession Games Brothers-in-Arms

Comment

• Wait, we traded away McCarthy? WTF? Not that I'm that high on him, but we traded away Garcia "to give McCarthy a spot in the rotation" ... wtf?
                                <Reverend> IRC is just multiplayer notepad.
                                I like your SNOOPY POSTER! - While you Wait quote.

Comment

Working...
                                X