This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Elok View Post
    ...calling this guy a martyr is an enormous stretch, at least in terms of Christian religion. Unless he had received threats ("stop protesting or I shoot you"), he didn't knowingly accept death rather than abandon his God and his principles.
    He had received numerous threats over the years and someone attempted to run him over with a car once.
    Captain of Team Apolyton - ISDG 2012

When I was younger I thought curfews were silly, but now as the daughter of a young woman, I appreciate them. - Rah

Comment

Originally posted by Oerdin View Post
      Ben's not talking to me. That's a win if I ever heard one!
      If you have nothing cogent to add, get out of the thread, Oerdin.
      Click here if you're having trouble sleeping.
      "We confess our little faults to persuade people that we have no large ones." - François de La Rochefoucauld

Comment

Let's not forget that the shooter was just another deranged moron with a gun. In addition to the protestor he killed a manager who once fired his sister, 10 years ago, and was caught as he was on his way to kill someone else for reasons we don't know. This was basically just a case of a guy going postal. The protestor isn't realy a martyr for the pro-life cause, he's really a martyr for the gun control cause and possibly even a martyr for the health care reform cause.

Regarding the later, granted I don't know the killer's situation, but I'm thinking that if the US had had universal health care 4 years ago then Seung Cho would have been using Zoloft instead of 9mm's - and 30 Tech stuidents and faculty would be alive today.
        "I say shoot'em all and let God sort it out in the end!

Comment

Originally posted by Dr Strangelove View Post
          Regarding the later, granted I don't know the killer's situation, but I'm thinking that if the US had had universal health care 4 years ago then Seung Cho would have been using Zoloft instead of 9mm's - and 30 Tech stuidents and faculty would be alive today.
          Yeah, it's a lot harder to kill other people by shooting Zoloft in their direction.

Murders like this, or rampages like CHO Seung-Hui (Dr Strange, you kinda chopped his given name in half...) often point to huge flaws in our system that...

...get ignored because the whole system is an unfixable mess thanks to peoples overt willingness to politicize the issues for their own personal gain.
          B♭3

Comment

Originally posted by Q Classic View Post
            Murders like this, or rampages like CHO Seung-Hui (Dr Strange, you kinda chopped his given name in half...)
            I Americanerized it, just like millions of Italians, Russians, and etc. got their names Americanerized by the INS over the past 200 years.
            "I say shoot'em all and let God sort it out in the end!

Comment

Originally posted by Dr Strangelove View Post
              I Americanerized it, just like millions of Italians, Russians, and etc. got their names Americanerized by the INS over the past 200 years.
              Of course. I do get that, Dr Strange.
              B♭3

Comment

Originally posted by Ben Kenobi View Post
                Actually, you are in the classy people bin.

Have you seen the Dead Pool?
                "I have never killed a man, but I have read many obituaries with great pleasure." - Clarence Darrow
                "I didn't attend the funeral, but I sent a nice letter saying I approved of it." - Mark Twain

Comment

BK and Q Cubed: Your posts have been move to the Closed Threads forum. Please continue this discussion without personal attacks.
                  Click here if you're having trouble sleeping.
                  "We confess our little faults to persuade people that we have no large ones." - François de La Rochefoucauld

Comment

Seeing as how the gun control people haven't built a shrine for the thousands of other murders committed in the US each year, I highly doubt that this guy will suddenly spur them into the business of shrine building.
                    <p style="font-size:1024px">HTML is disabled in signatures </p>

Comment

Why are you guys now describing this as a random act of violence when Tiller was killed everyone was like "those evil hypocritical pro-lifers always go around killing people!!".

Ben is far from the only one here who lets partisanship cloud any sense of balance or reason.
                      Captain of Team Apolyton - ISDG 2012

When I was younger I thought curfews were silly, but now as the daughter of a young woman, I appreciate them. - Rah

Comment

Because it bucks the trend. An analogous situation: Muslim suicide bomber = "what the hell, Islam?", whereas Jewish suicide bomber = random nutjob. A few hundred more Jewish suicide bombers will change the perception of Jewish suicide bombers, but for now it's a random nutjob.
                        <p style="font-size:1024px">HTML is disabled in signatures </p>

Comment

[Q=Asher;5673035]Gays killed by hate crimes committed by Christians this year: dozens[/Q] Cite? I get tired of hearing baseless accusations of "Christian" hate crimes when the murderers are no more Christian than the victims.

[Q=Asher;5673079]I'm curious, Ben. When one of the many gay men get murdered each year in hate crimes in the US, why do you not deem them assassinations? Why don't they get a thread with your disgust as this one did?[/Q] Because in the reported cases of rednecks, gangbangers, etc killing a homosexual they did it because they are disgusted by the perversion, not for any religious cause. Nor are the cases I've seen been activists killed for their political or religious positions, which indeed would be an assassination.
                          (\__/) Save a bunny, eat more Smurf!
                          (='.'=) Sponsored by the National Smurfmeat Council
                          (")_(") Smurf, the original blue meat! © 1999, patent pending, ® and ™ (except that "Smurf" bit)

Comment

[Q=Dr Strangelove;5673291]Regarding the later, granted I don't know the killer's situation, but I'm thinking that if the US had had universal health care 4 years ago then Seung Cho would have been using Zoloft instead of 9mm's - and 30 Tech stuidents and faculty would be alive today.[/Q]Wow, that's a stretch for a political endorsement.

Sorry, no. Forcing universal health care upon the nation doesn't equate to forcing an individual to seek treatment or take zoloft or any other drug. In addition, zoloft and prozac have been known (and I know one case personally) to make people became irrational and aggressive, and so perhaps young Mr. Cho's actions would have been aggravated and hastened by well-intended intervention.
                            (\__/) Save a bunny, eat more Smurf!
                            (='.'=) Sponsored by the National Smurfmeat Council
                            (")_(") Smurf, the original blue meat! © 1999, patent pending, ® and ™ (except that "Smurf" bit)

Comment

Originally posted by Straybow View Post
                              [Q=Asher;5673035]Gays killed by hate crimes committed by Christians this year: dozens[/Q] Cite? I get tired of hearing baseless accusations of "Christian" hate crimes when the murderers are no more Christian than the victims.
                              We've had this argument before on Apolyton and it was beyond pathetic. We're not doing it again. The Christians here try to pretend that the people who do the killing are not Christians even though they demonstrably are (eg, the Matthew Shephard killers specifically, that was a fun debate here), or that because the victim was also a Christian it doesn't matter.

It's a weak, irrational argument which is far from surprising considering the only people who attempt it are, themselves, Christian.

Because in the reported cases of rednecks, gangbangers, etc killing a homosexual they did it because they are disgusted by the perversion, not for any religious cause. Nor are the cases I've seen been activists killed for their political or religious positions, which indeed would be an assassination.
                              So it's an assassination only to kill someone for political and religious positions, not for moral positions? If the term works in this case, it works against victims of hate crimes too.

How convenient.
                              "The issue is there are still many people out there that use religion as a crutch for bigotry and hate. Like Ben."
                              Ben Kenobi: "That means I'm doing something right. "

Comment

Originally posted by OzzyKP View Post
                                Why are you guys now describing this as a random act of violence when Tiller was killed everyone was like "those evil hypocritical pro-lifers always go around killing people!!".

Ben is far from the only one here who lets partisanship cloud any sense of balance or reason.
                                Maybe because the guy was a random nut job who did the killing?
                                Christianity: The belief that a cosmic Jewish Zombie who was his own father can make you live forever if you symbolically eat his flesh and telepathically tell him you accept him as your master, so he can remove an evil force from your soul that is present in humanity because a rib-woman was convinced by a talking snake to eat from a magical tree...

Comment

Working...
                                X